1 Tblsp ground coriander seeds

1 bay leaf

1 Tblsp lemon juice

1 pt milk

1/4 pt single cream

chopped parsley to garnish

Serves 10

Method

Melt marg, add onions, fry gently for 5 mins. Add carrots, fry 2-3 mins. Stir in flour and cook 1-2 mins then gradually stir in stock, bring to boil. Season with S & P, add coriander, bay leaf, lemon juice. Cover & simmer for 30 mins. Take out bay leaf, puree soup. Put in clean pot, add milk and bring to boil. Stir in cream and reheat gently. Garnish. Serve with freshly baked bread/rolls. Enjoy.

Erm . . . chop a big leek into ickle bits, peel and dice a potato (also into ickle bits, like about 1cm cubed) and chuck in a big pan. Dissolve 3 veggie stock cubes in a pint of water (I sometimes use 2 veggie and a chicken, but I'm weird), pour over stuff in pan. Add a bit of salt and pepper (if you want to) and cook it 'till it's soft. I like to mush it up a bit with a masher so the soup's all thick and gloopy.

It's probably cheating, but it's tasty and quite healthy.

Should serve 4 (maybe).

Erm . . . chop a big leek into ickle bits, peel and dice a potato (also into ickle bits, like about 1cm cubed) and chuck in a big pan. Dissolve 3 veggie stock cubes in a pint of water (I sometimes use 2 veggie and a chicken, but I'm weird), pour over stuff in pan. Add a bit of salt and pepper (if you want to) and cook it 'till it's soft. I like to mush it up a bit with a masher so the soup's all thick and gloopy.

It's probably cheating, but it's tasty and quite healthy.

Should serve 4 (maybe).

I also make Leek & Tattie soup but we have grated cheese on the top of it...I use 2-3 leeks and a huge onion and loads of tatties chicken stock cubes and 2 pts of water....oh and don't forget the crusty bread with it.:D

Just made my carrot soup for tea tonight and have the bread maker on for yummy crusty rolls....:D Kitchen smells lovely and the weather is just right for having soup tonight. Miserable and wet:lol:

That carrot & coriander soup sounds lovely - I'll have to try that. Also like the cound of the leek & potato soup - mmm! Would love the recipe for the mushroom & leek soup though - sounds intriguing!

I shall have to hunt out a couple of winter soup recipes too...

I love soup - not just in the winter, but also as a light meal in the summer.

I know it's naughty but Pret A Manger do great thick soups, which I always get if I am in meetings in London or out for the day (fortunately for my bank we don't have a Pret anywhere near where I live!). They also do a bargain "Soup Bread" for 20p, which is basically yesterday's left over baguettes, but are still very edible and perfect for dunking in soup! Their roasted vegetable one is particularly warming.

Butternut Squash Soup

1 x Butternut squash

1 x Onion

1 x Chicken stock cube

Water

A little butter/oil for frying

Method

Chop the onion and fry in a little butter or oil until slightly browned.

Peel the butternut squash and deseed. Chop into small pieces.

Add both to a saucepan, and add a stock cube and water up to the level of the top of the squash/onion mixture. (Or use fresh stock).

Season with a little salt and pepper.

Bring the mixture to the boil, and then cover and simmer for about 20/25 minutes.

Allow the mixture to cool slightly, and then blend with a hand blender or liquidise.

This is a yummy warming soup, with very few calories or fat.

You can pep it up with a teaspoon of curry powder - add this when frying the onions.

Any pepper recipes (as in red, green and yellow) I've got loads

If you roast the red peppers & then add them to the basic butternut squash recipe, it's absolutely mouthwateringly delicious. Expecially if you serve it with a dollop of creme fraiche - such a winter-warming treat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else make....

'chuck it all in the pot and see what it comes out like soup'.....:blush:

My boys quite often ask what kind of soup is it today...!...and the answer is usually whatever I could find in the vegetables and a handful or two of lentils or split peas.

Makes the best kind....lol:mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
I've got soup to make for tonight, need to get it on, but mine is the variety above yours...ie. just chuck it all in. Usually works!

PP

I like that kind too! ;)

I've frozen most of it, but had a couple of cups for lunch. If I say so myself, it was rather yum. I don't bother with the cream in the recipe unless I'm giving it to guests, as I think it's nice enough without, and not quite so rich!