The Last Film You Saw

Chrissy

This is horrible, Ruth, but even though I've seen Anchors Aweigh I don't remember seeing the Jerry dance! Man, I must be getting old :(. That last scene in American in Paris is amazing, you're right, and I also love that little scene in the beginning of him getting up in his tiny apartment and putting all of his stuff away, opening the window, etc. Just dancing around doing those simple things was unbelievable, and in such a small space!

The Moses Supposes number is by far my all time favorite! I think the pair of them are pretty much perfect in that scene. Oh, and I have a wee story for you, Ruth! When I went to New York a few years ago, we stayed in this old hotel right across from the Ed Sullivan Theatre on Broadway and 54th (where David Letterman is filmed), and I found out while I was there that the hotel used to be an apartment building. Guess who had his first apartment in that same building? Mr. Kelly! It was so cool :D.

Wow, that is a great story! I've been to NY and seen the Ed Sullivan Theatre, but never realised that I was right by Gene Kelly's former home!

I watched Cover Girl at the weekend - an early film for Gene. He's partnered with Rita Hayworth, and in one scene he actually dances with a shadow version of himself. It's fabulous, and well worth checking out :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love any musicals, too, Ruth, but Singin' in the Rain is one of the best. Went to see our neighbours' daughter in an am-dram production of it just a week ago. It was pretty decent, apart from the leading man, whose voice was awful. But to be fair, we later found out he'd developed tonsilitis after four nights of ... er ... singin' in the rain :lol:

We've got tickets for a new Sondheim musical, Road Show, which premieres in London next week. Looking forward to that one!

I hope you enjoy the show next week. :) *jealous*

I used to watch a lot of dark, angsty films when I was younger, but nowadays I like films that make me smile and feel good, and that's why I love so many musicals. And I just love to see fabulous dancing, and I don't think there was ever a better dancer than Gene Kelly. Makes me want to break out my old tap shoes!

Watched Paranormal Activity last night and it was pretty good. Some great scares to get the heart racing :D My missus was scared witless :D

I really liked that one....are you planning to watch the second one?

I really liked that one....are you planning to watch the second one?

Forgot to put 2 lol. Have seen them both and loved em both. A 3rd is on its way according to wikipedia :D

Forgot to put 2 lol. Have seen them both and loved em both. A 3rd is on its way according to wikipedia :D

I heard that too...looking forward to it...I liked them both as well, though 1 a bit more than 2

Went to see Bridesmaids this afternoon. Much more enjoyable than I expected, and despite there being a bit of crude humour, on the whole it was just funny and a little bit heart warming! It wasn't totally successful - it was definitely too long and I could have done without the Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson characters and scenes, as I don't think they added to the story. But, who knew I would ever be charmed by Chris O'Dowd?

^

Bridesmaid is like Hangover but for woman, not that men can't view it because I liked it a lot. As for me, I saw the Ring (2002) last night. This has to be the most disturbing film I've ever seen. There are still images of little girls coming out of TV screens in my head, add the fact that I was watching this DVD in the early hours of this morning.

The Ring is an excellent film, no-1-book-fan! You're right, it is disturbing, but a good kind of creepy and so much better (IMO) than a scary slasher film.

I watched Tetro last night, which has been in my queue forever. I'm not sure what goes through Vincent Gallo's mind, but I'm sure part of it must be a little off. It wasn't as strange and obscure as I was expecting, since I could actually follow a story and understood the plot, but it had it's parts of being completely pretentious. I'm not sure I see Gallo the same way I did before :rolleyes:.

^

Bridesmaid is like Hangover but for woman, not that men can't view it because I liked it a lot. As for me, I saw the Ring (2002) last night. This has to be the most disturbing film I've ever seen. There are still images of little girls coming out of TV screens in my head, add the fact that I was watching this DVD in the early hours of this morning.

Have you watched the original Japanese versions it's based on? Just as good...the first two anyway.... :wink:

Have you watched the original Japanese versions it's based on? Just as good...the first two anyway.... :wink:

Yes, I've seen the 1998 original. I'm not usually keen on American remakes but I think this is as good as the original.

I've just watched, rather belatedly, The King's Speech. I knew I was going to love it and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Such a marvellous cast. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Timothy Spall .....they were all superb.

Beethoven's Allegretto as the background for the speech was so moving, one of my most favourite pieces of classical music.

Edited by poppy

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 at the cinema.

Any good? I'm still undecided on whether to bother, because they should have stopped by now.

I watched The Fighter this evening; thought it was fantastic, funny in places, and all in all a good watch.

I watched The Fighter this evening; thought it was fantastic, funny in places, and all in all a good watch.

Glad you liked it, Ben! It was definitely one of my two favorite films from last year :D.

Glad you liked it, Ben! It was definitely one of my two favorite films from last year :D.

Thanks, I had been waiting a while to watch and wasn't disappointed; thought the acting was brilliant.

Out of interest, other favourite?

Edited by Ben

Sucker Punch

I have to say I was amazed. I thought the soundtrack, special effects, symbolism and acting was great. It really fed so many of my nerdy little fantasies. Overcoming adversary, kicking ass, sacrifice and girls uniting. Also the introductory sequence was spectacularly made.

edit: I know a lot of people hate it. I wasn't expecting much. It's my favourite movie so far this year.

Edited by Hyzenthlay