The Last Film You Saw

Chrissy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked it, Kylie! Great film :D.

I watched Gosford Park last night. I've seen it once or twice before but hadn't watched it in a few years. I think it was the first film in which I discovered Clive Owen. Love him!

True Grit. Bit of a misfire, and it didn't have to be. The ending (a mere 5 minutes) ruined the entire flick. Rare mistake for the Coen brothers to make. Better luck next time, fellas.

I'm sorry you didn't like this one, Tristan, it was one of my favorites of the year. Can I ask what about the last 5 minutes ruined it for you?

Because Rooster died before Maddie got to see him all those years later?

Have you seen the John Wayne version?

I'm sorry you didn't like this one, Tristan, it was one of my favorites of the year. Can I ask what about the last 5 minutes ruined it for you?

Because Rooster died before Maddie got to see him all those years later?

Have you seen the John Wayne version?

I didn't see the John Wayne version and I haven't read the book, so I'm not drawing any comparison between them. I merely try to judge the film on its own merits. I really loved the film, btw. Just the ending bothered me. The reason why it didn't do it for me was because it was -to my taste- too medodramatic, too obvious in trying to convey the theme of the film. It wasn't exactly subtle - I would even go as far as calling this your typical Hollywood ending - while the Coen brothers excell in making subtle films. It's the primary reason why I adore their filmmaking. This effort was just very a-typical for them, and as a result very disappointing. It didn't mesh with the overall tone of the film at all. I would love to see a fan-edited version of this, ending the thing with the scene in the snow. Bridges saves the girl, redeems himself, and the girl has -at least partially - completed her process of growning into adulthood. Conveys the theme in a much more eloquent, more symbolical way. No voice-over required.

Shakespeare in love is a really good film!

At the other end of the scale (in terms of content) I watched Harry Brown last week. Excellent, well acted, but very depressing.

Ian

I didn't see the John Wayne version and I haven't read the book, so I'm not drawing any comparison between them. I merely try to judge the film on its own merits. I really loved the film, btw. Just the ending bothered me. The reason why it didn't do it for me was because it was -to my taste- too medodramatic, too obvious in trying to convey the theme of the film. It wasn't exactly subtle - I would even go as far as calling this your typical Hollywood ending - while the Coen brothers excell in making subtle films. It's the primary reason why I adore their filmmaking. This effort was just very a-typical for them, and as a result very disappointing. It didn't mesh with the overall tone of the film at all. I would love to see a fan-edited version of this, ending the thing with the scene in the snow. Bridges saves the girl, redeems himself, and the girl has -at least partially - completed her process of growning into adulthood. Conveys the theme in a much more eloquent, more symbolical way. No voice-over required.

I agree with you on the fact that the Coen bros make the best kind of subtle film, but I guess for me, True Grit was. I didn't see it as having a typical Hollywood ending, primarily because it didn't necessarily end happily or with everything tied up in a nice pretty package. I haven't read the book, but apparently the Coen's based their film on that and didn't consult the John Wayne version, which is a good thing, IMO, because they obviously altered much of the story in that 1969 film. I liked the 'quiet' feeling of this new version (if that makes sense :)), and thought the voice-over and score matched it perfectly, not to mention the cinematography.

The world would be a pretty boring place though if we all agreed on our choice of films, eh? ;)

I agree with you on the fact that the Coen bros make the best kind of subtle film, but I guess for me, True Grit was. I didn't see it as having a typical Hollywood ending, primarily because it didn't necessarily end happily or with everything tied up in a nice pretty package. I haven't read the book, but apparently the Coen's based their film on that and didn't consult the John Wayne version, which is a good thing, IMO, because they obviously altered much of the story in that 1969 film. I liked the 'quiet' feeling of this new version (if that makes sense :)), and thought the voice-over and score matched it perfectly, not to mention the cinematography.

The world would be a pretty boring place though if we all agreed on our choice of films, eh? ;)

It would,indeed. :)

I'm in a quandary about True Grit as it happens. Wherever I've looked it seems to be a much discussed film in terms of success, and I think a lot of that is because people seem to compare it because of it being a re-make. In any case, I notice it's up for Oscars and things like that, yet a few people I've spoke to who I trust for film advice, have said for me to not bother. I think I'll end up watching it anyway and I haven't seen the original or anything like that; so that couldn't possibly cloud my judgement.

IMO, Ben, I loved it, but that's just me :D. I don't however think Bridges should win Oscar since honestly, he played a cranky old cowboy and how often has that been done? But I do hope Steinfeld wins best supporting actress.

I watched The Town last night. Jeremy Renner is up for best supporting actor and even though I don't think he'll win (go Christian!), he did an excellent job. The film itself was sad, tragic and not one of my favorites of the year, but I'm glad I saw it. I had no idea that Charlestown, Massachusetts turned out so many criminals! Oh and it was so cool to see Pete Postlethwaite! It must've been his last role (or close to the last) and he was great as usual :).

While I was a little disappointed in the ending, I didn't consider it a "Hollywood" ending. FWIW, I believe a typical Hollywood ending would have been a lot soppier. I do agree that it didn't mesh with the rest of the film though. I take it you mean the tacked on part where Mattie made her rounds?

I have read the book, and seen the John Wayne version. It's been many years since I have seen JW's though, and can't even say I remember the ending. I do remember it as a "John Wayne" movie, one of his typicals. That is not a bad thing though, IMO. Just different from the book.

I'm in a quandary about True Grit as it happens. Wherever I've looked it seems to be a much discussed film in terms of success, and I think a lot of that is because people seem to compare it because of it being a re-make. In any case, I notice it's up for Oscars and things like that, yet a few people I've spoke to who I trust for film advice, have said for me to not bother. I think I'll end up watching it anyway and I haven't seen the original or anything like that; so that couldn't possibly cloud my judgement.

I don't think you can go wrong seeing the firm. I can recommend the book though, as it will fill in some of the small holes the film leaves. There is some change in the order of things, not to eithers determent I believe. I particularly enjoyed the language style of the film, it stuck very close to the book.

I don't think you can go wrong seeing the firm. I can recommend the book though, as it will fill in some of the small holes the film leaves. There is some change in the order of things, not to eithers determent I believe. I particularly enjoyed the language style of the film, it stuck very close to the book.

As it happens I spotted the novel in Waterstones earlier in the week and was tempted to pick it up then; alas I didn't and plumped for some other choices that took my fancy. I think I'll get around to watching the film soon, possibly tomorrow, and then maybe I can pick of the novel in the future and see the comparisons. I'll comment back on my views of the film when I get chance to watch; which will be hopefully sooner rather than later.

Edited by Ben