Snow/winter weather

I'm glad to know that your OH survived and didn't change personalitywise after the brain haemorrhage, like you said that's the most important thing   :friends0: The other stuff sounds difficult enough as it is and must be frustrating at times but fortunately he has his own Ooshie who takes good care of him   :smile2:    Yep I think you should skip the Skipping Christmas book, the parents decide to skip the Chrismas because of their own reasons (nothing as drastic as yours, but something that doesn't make them feel Christmassy at all), and basically it's a load of what-was-probably-meant-to-seem-really-funny-to-the-reader complaining about neighbors who do want to celebrate and stuff. I'll never get those reading hours back. A Dog Named Christmas is a whole other story though, maybe not the literary masterpiece but like I said a feel-good novel (and there are dogs which is always a huge bonus for me   :blush:)

Let's continue the quest for the hidden spoiler tag... 

Edited by frankie

I'll never get those reading hours back

:lol: Yep, that's Skipping Christmas definitely off the list, frankie, and A Dog Named Christmas definitely on!

SaraPepparkaka, you can't beat a ghost story, especially set in winter - I will look out for that one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much to everyone who made suggestions - I have put them all in a list at the end of my first post in case anyone else is interested in snowy/wintery books, and I will update the list if there are any additions. :)

• 3 months later...

A non-fiction book I really enjoyed was Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. It starts off in Hammerfest, Norway in winter with the author waiting to see the Northern Lights. He goes on to travel all through Europe. Bryson is a very funny writer and it's something I can imagine hunkering down with, to read in winter :)

lovesreading06, I must admit that my TBR list is so long that I haven't really looked at any new books for the past couple of months. Quite a few people have enjoyed Skipping Christmas, so I will probably have to put aside my prejudice at some point and give it a go! I have always enjoyed everything else I have read by John Grisham.

poppy, I rarely read non-fiction, but Neither Here Nor There does sound very entertaining, and totally different to anything else on my list. I will need to look out for it.

Lilywhite, of course, how could I have forgotten about The Shining? Stephen King is one of my favourite writers, and it is one of my favourite books by him; it's definitely time I gave it another read! And you are right, A Christmas Carol is always good reading as the festive season gets closer.

Thanks everyone! :friends0:

I had never heard of Tolkien's Letters from Father Christmas Echo, it looks an enchanting read, thank you for suggesting it. :) A Christmas Carol and Little Women are just right, too.

I have added the latest suggestions to the list in Post 1, thanks again everyone :friends0:

Edited by Ooshie