Sherlock

Raven

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hacked off at the BBC now. Tuned in at 9pm to see the second episode, only to find that this week it started at half-past-flippin'-eight! What IS it with them constantly changing the times? They do it with all their programmes (Doctor Who is a prime exaqmple - it never seeme to be on the same time two weeks running while I was watching it). Now we're going to have to download it and watch it later in the week (I'm working Monday to Wednesday this week), which is incredibly annoying. We were really looking forward to seeing it tonight too! :irked:

Yeah I missed the first 10 minutes because of that managed to catch up though only caught it cause I was flicking through the channels in an add break.

another good episode though.

Really hacked off at the BBC now. Tuned in at 9pm to see the second episode, only to find that this week it started at half-past-flippin'-eight! What IS it with them constantly changing the times? They do it with all their programmes (Doctor Who is a prime exaqmple - it never seeme to be on the same time two weeks running while I was watching it). Now we're going to have to download it and watch it later in the week (I'm working Monday to Wednesday this week), which is incredibly annoying. We were really looking forward to seeing it tonight too! :irked:

It's not good that they keep moving programs like this, but to be fair they did say it would be on at 8.30pm at the end of last weeks episode.

(If it helps, it's worth waiting for!).

I haven't seen the first one yet, but I caught last night's.

Having read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories over the years I was interested to see how they managed a 'modern re telling', and I have to say I am really impressed.

I would say that they captured the spirit of Holmes so very well, and Watson is beautifully drawn. :) A big thumbs up from me.

It's not good that they keep moving programs like this, but to be fair they did say it would be on at 8.30pm at the end of last weeks episode.

(If it helps, it's worth waiting for!).

Yeah, but I missed them saying that because I was excitedly babbling to hubby about how much I'd enjoyed the episode and how good everyone was in it and how they'd managed to update it without losing the essential spirit of the books, etc. I can't help doing that when I've really enjoyed something - the BBC should really take that into account - LOL! I just don't understand why they keep shifting their schedules instead of just giving a programme a slot and keeping it there for its entire run - it would make so much more sense!

Glad it's a good'un though - I'm really looking orward to seeing it.

Now, can someone please remind me what time it's on nearer the time next week, so I don't miss it again? I'm that scatter-brained I'll forget if I'm not reminded! I'm counting on you guys, so if I miss it next time, I'll be blaming you! :lol:

I was shown episode 1 on BBC iPlayer at 2am on Sunday morning and adored it, so I was thrilled to have episode 2 lined up for later in the day. I've been listening to Martin Freeman's Hitchhiker's Guide audiobooks so I knew he'd be good, and the to-me heretofore unknown Benedict Cumberbatch (best name ever!) was a welcome suprise - he's amazing, and he and Freeman bounce so well off each other. Gutted it'll be so short though, I can jusr hope they take notice of how well-loved it is and commission some more.

For those who are interested, Moffat has tweeted that this weeks episode was based on The Dancing Men.

A new game to play whilst watching - spot the Doctor Who location! (There were at least three in this weeks episode).

Is anyone following Sherlock's site The Science Of Deduction?

The answer to last week's cryptic message has been revealed (it was done using a Caesar Cypher, moving each letter 15 places, so you got the message "Sherlock I am watching you".

There's a second message there now:

'Hi Sherlock

SOMNEHCCGTEKOTYRIMOOLAIGU

You'll never find out who I am. I live off the grid.

cheers

xx'

Anyone else worked it out yet?

If you arrange the letters in order in a grid 5 x 5, you can read the letters down the way and get the message "Sherlock I am coming to get you".

The answer to last week's cryptic message has been revealed (it was done using a Caesar Cypher, moving each letter 15 places, so you got the message "Sherlock I am watching you".

Ah, I had the right idea, I just didn't move the characters far enough!

I thought Sherlock was very good and I'm sure they'll make more in the future, at least I hope so! It's the best thing on TV at the moment I think, I even look forward to Sunday evening TV now. :)

Did anyone work out what last week's episode was based on (The Blind Banker that is). I'd say it smacked of Sign of Four with extra elements - was it that one or was I completely off track :huh:

I so loved the Dancing Men and I shall look forward to that episode on Sunday. :)

Edited by SueK

I thought last week's was a clever play on A Study In Scarlet (hinted at in the title of A Study In Pink)? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was based on that, but it's been many years since I read the story, so I can't remember - LOL!

I meant to come in here to post that the time was changing on Sunday but I completely forgot - sorry everyone! I missed them saying it at the end of the first episode too, but luckily I checked the time on the BBC website.

Another excellent episode. Surely a second series will be commissioned? I'll be gutted if we only have three!

Sherlock = :wub:

Did anyone work out what last week's episode was based on (The Blind Banker that is). I'd say it smacked of Sign of Four with extra elements - was it that one or was I completely off track :huh:

I so loved the Dancing Men and I shall look forward to that episode on Sunday. :)

I've think you may have misinterpreted what I posted, I was saying that The Blind Banker was based on The Dancing Men!

I've think you may have misinterpreted what I posted, I was saying that The Blind Banker was based on The Dancing Men!

Oh I see, sorry about the confusion. Now that's interesting because I didn't get any hint of The Dancing Men in that story. I'll have to go back and re-read it. Thanks.

Edited by SueK

I'm guessing they were referring to the code part of the story (though in this case it was a book code rather than letter substitution).

Yes, although the code and the graffiti (which was just drawing dancing men in the original) was in the story, I think that certain other plots were probably picked up too - it's just that Dancing Men didn't come to mind when I watched it.

I wonder what Sunday's episode will refer to and if we can work out which story it wil be.

THought you all might like to know:

(From Wiki)

A DVD (region 2) and Blu-ray Disc (region B) will be released by 2entertain in the United Kingdom on 30 August 2010. It will feature the three episodes and several special features. "A Study in Pink" will feature audio commentaries by Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue, while Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Mark Gatiss commentate on "The Great Game". The release will include the unaired pilot episode, a 60-minute version of "A Study in Pink" directed by Coky Giedroyc. On 23 July 2010, the BBFC rated the pilot as a 12 certificate for video and online exhibition.

Oh, and I've checked the times for Sunday - we're back to the 9pm slot!

:lol: Thanks Raven, I needed a good chuckle! :D

:lol: yes that made me laugh too. Although, judging by the way they are changing the plots around, it will now probably feature a chihuahua instead - just to throw us off the scent. :P