Sherlock

Raven

My hubby has a theory, which, in some respects I agree with, but in others I think it can't be so because it would be so unfaithful to the spirit of the Sherlock Holmes book:

Jim is a red herring, a puppet with strings being pulled by a clever person whose deductive skills we've already seen match those of Sherlock. Dale reckons that Moriarty is actually Mycroft. His evidence for this is:

1. Mycroft has proven his powers of deduction and intelligence are equal to those of Sherlock.

2. Mycroft's car licence plate has "TPM" in it, which he reckons stands for "The Professor Moriarty"

3. The initials things again - "M" for Mycroft / Moriarty

4. In the first episode, Mycroft introduced himself to Watson as Sherlock's arch enemy / nemesis (I can't remember the exact wording, so forgive me - it was one or the other).

The whole plot with the stolen government plans that Mycroft was SO insistent SHerlock take on could have been a clever plan to keep Sherlock busy with something (as, obviously, as a high-ranking government official with top-secret clearance, he could get his hands on the plans any time he liked).

Anyone else got anything?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My hubby has a theory, which, in some respects I agree with, but in others I think it can't be so because it would be so unfaithful to the spirit of the Sherlock Holmes book:

Jim is a red herring, a puppet with strings being pulled by a clever person whose deductive skills we've already seen match those of Sherlock. Dale reckons that Moriarty is actually Mycroft. His evidence for this is:

1. Mycroft has proven his powers of deduction and intelligence are equal to those of Sherlock.

2. Mycroft's car licence plate has "TPM" in it, which he reckons stands for "The Professor Moriarty"

3. The initials things again - "M" for Mycroft / Moriarty

4. In the first episode, Mycroft introduced himself to Watson as Sherlock's arch enemy / nemesis (I can't remember the exact wording, so forgive me - it was one or the other).

The whole plot with the stolen government plans that Mycroft was SO insistent SHerlock take on could have been a clever plan to keep Sherlock busy with something (as, obviously, as a high-ranking government official with top-secret clearance, he could get his hands on the plans any time he liked).

Anyone else got anything?

Interesting theory and one worthy of further thought actually. My view is that so far, Jim Moriarty is a puppet because to me, he couldn't be taken seriously as THE arch enemy. Also at the end of Sunday's episode, who was shining the lasers on Watson when Moriaty appeared from a totally different area of the swimming pool? Mycroft in this series certainly seems quite sinister and unlike the the original series, there doesn't seem to be much brotherly love. If that is the case and it is Mycroft/Moriarty, then the Reichenbach Falls scenario could be interesting!! :smile2:

I think your hubby may well be right, Kell - when I first saw Mycroft I thought he was Moriarty because he was suitably oily and creepy, and when he introduced himself to Watson as Sherlock's archenemy I was all like, 'a-ha!' Mycroft's position would make his evil masterplans all too easy to put in place, and it all ties in neatly with the fact that so many of us just don't think Jim fits the ultimate villain role. Besides, if we're having a grand showdown with the ultimate villain at the end of season one, there's not much meat left for season two now is there?

The lser would have been aimed by Jim's accomplice/puppet - he said himself he wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger (or however he put it - I can't recall now), so he had someone else there working for/with him. I still don't think the REAL Moriarty would have been aiming the laser, although I believe he would have been watching (perhaps not actually AT the pool though - maybe by hacking into the security system and watching it from afar...

I've avoided this thread as I didn't want to accidentally spoil any of the episodes which I've downloaded on the iPlayer - just watched the last one and have to say that I thought they were brilliant. Cumberbatch was born for this role (I even think I prefer him to my all time favourite, Jeremy Brett, which is saying something!)

I thought the casting was superb, the scripts excellent and the pacing spot on. And David Arnold doing the music!

I need to know when they're making some more and how long I have to wait before it comes out on DVD, please.

And, for the record, I've been wearing big overcoats like that since I was in sixth form and I wanted to look like Thrax from the story Bad Company in 2000AD (terribly sad, aren't I, but a definite trend setter...?)mocking.gif

I don't think there's anything scheduled for series two yet - it was only commissioned a couple of weeks ago.

Curses! I want more! Thanks, Chesil. I'll keep my eye out. x

I've avoided this thread as I didn't want to accidentally spoil any of the episodes

Ditto

I thought the casting was superb, the scripts excellent and the pacing spot on.

I thoroughly agree. I thought it was excellent. Can't wait for the next series.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you mean "If anyone is interested"? :lol: I'm VERY interested!

Thanks for posting this. As a non-tweeter, I would not have heard about this.

Great news, thanks Chesil! I will tell my husband when he gets home :)

Awesome! Can't wait. :D

Glad to be of service ;)