Favourite Feline Literature...

I love Shirley Rousseau Murphy's series about Joe Cat and his love Dulcie and other cat pals. They solve murders, and the bad guys better watch out when Joe is around!

The first one, Cat on the Edge shows how Joe comes to be able to actually talk and read and understand humans. It is hilarious in places, it made me laugh out loud, and catches a cat's personality purrfectly. :D

Here is her website with all her listings. She writes other cat books too that y'all might be interested in http://www.sylviaengdahl.com/joegrey/mystery.htm

Just scroll down, as they are listed in reverse order of publication.

Then of course there James Herriot's books as well. Cat Stories will certainly have you reaching for the hanky, but are so sweet and uplifting too. And the illustrations are wonderfully done.

What a great idea for a thread! :)

Diary of a Killer Cat by Anne Fine. Aimed at younger readers who are just becoming confident, there is lots of humour in the most simple ways!

A colleague would swear by Lillian Brauns The Cat Who detective novels. I must try one - would anyone else recommend them?

A colleague would swear by Lillian Brauns The Cat Who detective novels. I must try one - would anyone else recommend them?

I like that series, although the last few have not been as good as the first 20 or so.

Glad you like it Purple Poppy! :D

When I was younger, I loved a book called The Mouse Butcher by Dick King-Smith. I seem to remember it was about a colony of feral cats that had overtaken an abandoned town.

I remember also using another cat related book for my GCSE English Lit paper, which I compared to The Plague Dogs. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and I can't find it on Amazon.

I'll need to keep an eye on this thread, I've only really read non-fiction about cats, and would love some good cat fiction :D

I love cat books!.....

I have a few favourites which are kids books and have lovely illustrations. The Patchwork Cat by N Bayley, William Mayne and Nicola Bayley tells the story of Tabby and her patchwork quilt.

The Church Mice at Christmas by Graham Oakley tells the story of the church mice Arthur and Humprey planning a Christmas party which they need to raise money for. Their entrepreneurial schemes include raffling off Sampson the church cat and, as usual, everything goes haywire. This has great illustrations.

Another I enjoyed when a was a child was Casey by Joyce Stranger...

...and of course one of my other favourites is The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter. :D

originally posted by Snowflake.

...and of course one of my other favourites is The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter.

Of course, I'd forgotton Beatrice Potter's Tom Kitten.

And Puss in Boots.

One of my favourite children's books was Mog...no idea who wrote it but you'll all know anyway.

By he way, welcome to the forum, Snowflake

PP

First off I think that the popularity of cat literature is such a strange phenomenon. I don't mean that it's unwarranted, it just surprizes me. Somehow cats and books or cats and readers just seem to "fit". Maybe it's because cats love to keep your lap warm while you read. And God knows ya can't read with a cold lap.

Anyways as a child I read Tailchaser's Song by Tad Wiliams.

I also have on my shelf as part of my large Richard Adams collection The Beaurocats (haven't read it)

Someday I'd like to pick up a couple of books in that mystery series The Cat Who.....

Somehow cats and books or cats and readers just seem to "fit". Maybe it's because cats love to keep your lap warm while you read. And God knows ya can't read with a cold lap.

The only problem with that is that the cat doesn't much like to be ignored (or they try and sit on the book)

My computer is on one of those counters with the keyboard underneath on a pull-out, so one of the cats that stays in here all the time will lie on the desktop, and hang over and sniff my hands as I type, or try to touch my fingers....nutty cats.

That's Tuffy. She is 14, and thinks she is a kitten, and acts like it sometimes.

She was found by a friend of ours in a parking lot where he had a shop screaming and trying to pace up and down on hot asphalt. She was only about a week old...eyes not all the way open, but her lungs worked fine. Of course he brought her to us. Her little feet were burned bloody, and the underneath of her tail was blistered. We fed her by hand, and antibiotic was liberally given and 14 years later she thinks she owns the place and us....and in fact she does. :D

Anyhow dogmatix.....as far as the Cat Who series...I'd say start with the beginning. It tells how Qwilleran first meets his cat(s) and that is integral to the reasoning of the entire series.

I would also recommend The Cat Who Had 14 Tales by Braun. This was written before the Cat Who series and is a collection of short stories about....cats! :) Really good!

Poor Tuffy! I'm so glad you found her and gave her the kind of home all little kitties deserve

:D She is a brat, but well loved.

Dogmatix, when I recommended the short story book of Braun's, I pulled it, and had to start reading a bit. :)

Here are the first few lines from the first short story. The cat is a Siamese. Hence the hubris. :blush:

"Phut Phat knew, at an early age, that humans were an inferior breed. They were unable to see in the dark. They ate and drank unthinkable concoctions. And they had only five senses; the pair who lived with Phut Phat could not even transmit their thoughts without resorting to words."

This story goes on to show how the cat thwarts a burgler in true Siamese Style. :) I put these lines in this thread, as it was more than one line.....and verra feline.

I have just remembered a couple more feline books.

'Cat Chat' by Helene Thornton. Amazon's synopsis reads...

'Having moved to Provence, Helene Thornton's village was a welcoming place and yet the warmest greetings she received were from the many cats that lived there. This is a story of love between her, a Frenchman and cats, especially one cat, Bebe'.

I loved this book. A lovely gentle read.

Then there's the Cat Karma Sutra, or The karma Sutra for Cats. I can't find my copy but its an absolute gem. It's what every cat should know about lying on the bed whilst the humans are busy...how to interpret positions in time to move etc. Very funny book.

PP

:D

orange-arrow.gif

Although I like cats, they're not really animals I'd consider having as pets, even if I weren't allergic - I have a thing about them climbing on counters etc - LOL! However, I do like the occasional cat book & I thought of a few of them I'd like to mention:

The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett

The Unadulterated Cat is becoming an endangered species as more and more of us settle for those boring mass-produced cats the ad-men sell us - the pussies that purr into their gold-plated food bowls on the telly. But the Campaign for Real Cats sets out to change all that by helping us to recognise a true, unadulterated cat when we see one. For example: real cats have ears that look like they've been trimmed with pinking shears; real cats never wear flea collars ...or appear on Christmas cards ...or chase anything with a bell in it; real cats do eat quiche. And giblets. And butter. And anything else left on the table, if they think they can get away with it. Real cats can hear a fridge door opening two rooms away ...

Devil on the Road by Robert Westall

John Webster should have listened to his instincts: instead, he stays on in the Suffolk village where chance has taken him. Something is wrong here, and he finds himself with unanswered questions. Why is Derek so keen for him to stay on in the barn? Why are the villagers behaving so deferentially? Was it Fate or Chance which brought student and biker John to the deserted barn in rural Suffolk? An abandoned kitten provides the link with the dangerous past.

The Cats of Seroster by Robert Westall

In medieval France, huge, powerful cats and a magic dagger help Cam, a young English jack-of-all-trades, through a series of unusual and dangerous adventures.