Wicked ~ Gregory Maguire

Lilywhite

I read it this year.

Not at all what I expected it to be ... its the story of the Wicked Witch of the West but is much deeper somehow than that.

It made me think about the nature of evil, democracy, lots of things. Placed us in a real world which made sense which is always good in fairy tales if that makes sense.

It is a really good read but I didn't get the updated fairy tale that I thought it would be.

I read it this summer and then my husband read it after me, we liked it and it gave us a lot to talk about. I think what Louiseog said above is very fitting. I have heard the sequel Son Of A Witch is better and will be ordering a copy of it soon :D

I bought the beautiful black hardback edition for a friend's birthday earlier in the year, & have the paperback waiting to be read here too. Dying to get round to it!

• 8 months later...

It sure is a beautifully packaged book, isn't it?

I love it when books are designed with layered covers!

I was in Instant Message one time and a friend dropped Defying Gravity on me. I heard this show-stopper and knew I had to find out more about the musical ...and finally the book.

The books was good and so wonderfully ... odd.

It is brilliant in that it takes a familiar premise (story? idea? relationship?) and goes oh-so counter to what one would expect. My expectation was that I'd find the author to be clever and discovered he was much more that just that - fairly remarkable, in my opinion.

And ... if you are a fan of this crazy Business we call Show: invest in the soundtrack and then go catch a bit of wonderful theater. We all have the broader context of the Wiz of Oz to draw upon, I believe. Totally different from the tone of the book, trust me - it'll be fun.

• 1 month later...

My daughter is engrossed in this book this week which is unusual in itself and it must be good! Since we saw the show my children have been entranced by the music soundtrack, bought the CD and play it every night on their respective players (and in the car). I love this show for the impact it had on all of us.

I have put the book on my TBR list. :)

It was a great show. I'm sure it will be around for a while. The songs/dancing costumes/sets were all fantastic!

I don't know if I'd read the book though. I LOVE the wizard of Oz and I had to grit my teeth a little at the twisting of the original story (Its all done in good fun but you know what I mean)