Under The Dome by Stephen King

mtjm

Has anyone read this, i am about 735 pages in, its a 1075 page novel. It remends me a lot of "The Stand" by King as well, but i believe its much more entertaining. Please don't give away the ending to the book, i just want other peoples oppinions about it

• 3 weeks later...

This is to be my next book for my bedtime reading...hope the bed doesn't break ung the weight :D

Now I've bought my copy, I see what you mean Heather! The **** thing's the size of a housebrick! I'm just glad I didn't buy the hardback copy - I'd probably need a crane to lift it.

Now I've bought my copy, I see what you mean Heather! The **** thing's the size of a housebrick! I'm just glad I didn't buy the hardback copy - I'd probably need a crane to lift it.

I know what you mean my son bought me the hardback copy for christmas :lol:

put it down, the ending is garbage.

Succinct and to the point, thank you, but I'll make my own judgement call on this, if that's okay...

I'm about 150 pages in and enjoying it so far. I'm finding it to be a good page-turner that caught my interest straight away, unlike his last two which I gave up on very quickly and are still languishing unread on my bookcase.

I've heard the ending is rubbish, but still... I'll find out for myself. :)

I really hate two characters already, but they're two the reader is supposed to hate so that's okay. :D

Ahoy there!

I'm hoping to finish this book tonight, 80 or so pages to go. This is the first book I've read in years but I read alot of Stephen King in my childhood. I must admit this book is currently up there with my favourite King book 'Misery', but I await the ending. I'll give you my full verdict shortly :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've just finished the book and was quietly impressed. As for the ending, it was better than I'd hoped. Although not quite to the standard of his earlier endings, it was definitely an improvement on recent works.

If you were disappointed by the finale of Cell, don't worry - Under The Dome is much more satisfying!

I read this a while back. The general consensus is that the ending sucks. I actually don't think it's that bad (I agree with Sedge; Cell is much worse) and at least the ending fits in with the theme of the book. But it is the low point of the book. You expect something a bit more inventive after all that has gone before. If this low point had only been in the middle of the book rather than the end.......

Ian

I started this today, about 170 pages in so far and still loving it. I won't even mind if I do dislike the ending considering how much I'm enjoying everything else so far. About to pick it up again, so hoping to make 250 or 300 pages tonight.

I just finished it.

I don't know what everyone is hollering about - I found it thoroughly enjoyable with an ending that was alluded to several hundred pages before the ending and offered directly to you at least a hundred pages before the end.

The main complaints I've seen are

that there's no mention of a supernatural element (there is), that they wish the Dome was explained (that would be impossible, which should be obvious very early on) and that the ending is a cop-out (er..... how? it's exactly what I was thinking from the minute alien life was mentioned, it's obvious!)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but that's me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I read this book in a week. I've read all of stephen kings books post 1997 and the best of 80s-90s. I read Stephen King's "on writing" he says he has never known an ending as he starts writing a book. Some of his books it works, others not so e.g. the cell. I loved the characters and the story of under the dome and the ending as a plot device is a bit weak / cliched but the book is so good that to just know what happens to the characters was amazing enough for me (Big Jim Rennie !!!!!!).

don't be put off ! Equally not a book to dip into either at over 1000 pages.