As good as The Baroque Cycle?

I've read a lot of historical fiction. Everything from James Fennimore Cooper to James Michener to Allen Eckert to Dumas to Cornwell (Richard Sharpe is one of my favorite characters). The list goes on and on but I've never enjoyed a series of books as much as I have The Baroque Cycle from Neal Stephenson. The development of the characters during the setting of that time period is so good that I'm seriously contemplating reading it for a third time.

Can anyone out there recommend another book/series that might compare? It doesn't need to be set during the Enlightenment or include a voyage around the globe (although those can make for a great read) just something original and entertaining would be great. Thanks

Have you tried Heresy by S.J. Parris? Its one of my favorite historical fiction novels and came out rather recently. Here is the synopsis from Barnes and Noble.com

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Heresy/S-J-Parris/e/9780385531283/?itm=1&USRI=heresy

Its very well written and Bruno's character is unforgetable. :D

Hi

I've got Quicksilver on my TBR pile i've never read anything by this author before but i picked it up in the charity shop on a whim so it's good to hear that you enjoyed it so much :D

If you like historical fiction then i'd definitely recommend Pillars of the Earth Ken Follet & the sequel World without End.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll definiately try Heresy and look into Giles Milton.

I've read Pillars of the Earth but unfortunately wasn't impressed enough to read the sequel but thanks for the suggestion.

That's a shame but i guess everyone's got different tastes :D

• 2 weeks later...

...The list goes on and on but I've never enjoyed a series of books as much as I have The Baroque Cycle from Neal Stephenson. The development of the characters during the setting of that time period is so good that I'm seriously contemplating reading it for a third time...

Sorry but I am also going to jump in here and instead of suggesting a book say that I had never heard of these, but they are not on my wish list. Thanks!