Favorite Poet?

There's too many to pick just the one. Am I allowed four? If so they'd be William Shakespeare, John Milton, Lord Byron, Walt Whitman.

Great choices. WW's 'Dalliance Of Eagles' is a favourite of mine. You've certainly chosen a few BIG names there - you can't fault these guys! :haha:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love William Blake's work :haha:

I remember having to do an analysis of some of Blake's work when I was at uni. I fell in love with his passion and individual style - he didn't give a monkeys about whether anyone would like his stuff he just had to write it down. Great man in many ways. I may have to revisit his work.

Thanks Rawr for reminding me of his work! :D

Blake is indeed quite, quite exceptional; I believe Milton would have been quite proud. Oh, what I'd give to hear those two discuss theology! Both managed to make religion so gripping... but then again, maybe it's not meant to be "gripping" in that sense and I'm just being weird.

I remember suggesting Milton to a CU person from my uni once (I was following the sign saying "free coffee", then got so engrossed in debate I forgot about my freebie entirely) and he was horrified to think that someone might take bits from the Bible and freely elaborate on them.

I tried telling him "Paradise Lost" was a piece of genius that made a lot of lost sheep think about their immortal souls bit more, and that moreover if what Milton wanted to say was so heretic then he would never have been as divinely inspired as he clearly was - alas, it didn't work.

Carol Ann Duffy's 'Words, Wide Night' has got to be one of my favourite poems, it really had an impact on me at the first read, and still does.

Somewhere on the other side of this wide night and the distance between us, I am thinking of you.

The room is turning slowly away from the moon.

This is pleasurable. Or shall I cross that out and say it is sad?

In one of the tenses I am singing an impossible song of desire that you cannot hear.

La la la la. See? I close my eyes and imagine the dark hills I would have to cross to reach you,

For I am in love with you and this is what it is like or what it is like in words.

I love that poem too Chrissy, I'm not really into poetry but that has to be one of my favourites. She was the first poet we studied at uni and the only one that I liked :D. Another of hers I really like is Valentine:

Not a red rose or a satin heart.

I give you an onion.

It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.

It promises light

like the careful undressing of love.

Here.

It will blind you with tears

like a lover.

It will make your reflection

a wobbling photo of grief.

I am trying to be truthful.

Not a cute card or a kissogram.

I give you an onion.

Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips,

possessive and faithful

as we are,

for as long as we are.

Take it.

Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring,

if you like.

Lethal.

Its scent will cling to your fingers,

cling to your knife.

Thank you so much you two for introducing me to this poet. Both these are wonderful :haha:

Carol Anne Duffy is brilliant i agree, i love her collection 'The World's Wife'

Oh me too. It's nice to hear from a man who likes it - when I did it for AS level a few years ago, there was only one man on our course and he didn't like it at all!

Off the top of my head, I especially like Queen Herod and the one about Ann Hathaway's bed from that collection, but there are lots of great ones. :)

I must see about getting another collection of hers.

Edited by Janet

I love that poem too Chrissy, I'm not really into poetry but that has to be one of my favourites. She was the first poet we studied at uni and the only one that I liked :). Another of hers I really like is Valentine:

Not a red rose or a satin heart.

I give you an onion.

It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.

It promises light

like the careful undressing of love.

Here.

It will blind you with tears

like a lover.

It will make your reflection

a wobbling photo of grief.

I am trying to be truthful.

Not a cute card or a kissogram.

I give you an onion.

Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips,

possessive and faithful

as we are,

for as long as we are.

Take it.

Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring,

if you like.

Lethal.

Its scent will cling to your fingers,

cling to your knife.

We studied this poem for GCSE, it's a weird one for sure!

Oh me too. It's nice to hear from a man who likes it - when I did it for AS level a few years ago, there was only one man on our course and he didn't like it at all!

Off the top of my head, I especially like Queen Herod and the one about Ann Hathaway's bed from that collection, but there are lots of great ones. :)

I must see about getting another collection of hers.

Oh i found a lot of what she had to say very interesting and agreed with much. I love the little red riding hood one, how she used that tale to convey her message was brilliant. She's extremely clever at changing things around. There was so many great images in those poems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've never been big into poetry, but William Blake has a few I like. A Poison Tree comes to mind. Same thing with Robert Frost. The Road Not Taken is a particular favorite.

I don't read much poetry either, but I have a fondness for Auguries of Innocence by William Blake.

Although it's a little difficult to interpret...

Still, I've got my trusty library friends to help me! :roll:

I don't read much poetry either, but I have a fondness for Auguries of Innocence by William Blake.

Although it's a little difficult to interpret...

Still, I've got my trusty library friends to help me! :roll:

I love those from Blake also ;)

I would have to say Frost as well. Ever since I had to commit to memory his 'Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening' when I was in middle school I have been a great fan. My dad used to keep copies of a bunch of his poems up on the walls of his shop too, so I guess it was a family-wide appreciation :).

I would have to say Frost as well. Ever since I had to commit to memory his 'Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening' when I was in middle school I have been a great fan. .

Yes - Frost's Stopping by woods...

"but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep" oooh gives me goosebumps!

How many people had to learn this particular poem? That takes me back about 25 + years to when I had to learn it in school! :)

William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience struck a chord in me like no other poet or writer has done since. So him.

x

I really love that collection, the contrasts between the two states and the context and everything is so great within it :lol:

I really love that collection, the contrasts between the two states and the context and everything is so great within it :lol:

Indeed. I had to study it for A-Level and then again when I was doing my degree. I've never tired of it. His views on religion and things blow my mind - it's almost like he had beliefs that where years ahead of his time. And the way in which he communicates them through imagery is fantastic.

Aaah... awedome haha

x

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...