Lisa's Reading Log

Kiwimellon

I guess I'll start one of these. It would be nice to have a way to remind me of all the books I've read. Though, I don't get to read near as much as other people here!

Currently Reading:readingtwo:

The Fellowship of the Ring - JRR Tolkien

Books I've Read

Decemeber

33. Deep Secret - Diana Wynne Jones

32. Witch's Business - Diana Wynne Jones

31. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

November

30. Castle in the Air - Diana Wynne Jones

29. The Giver - Lois Lowry

28. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

27. Coraline - Neil Gaiman

October

26. The Time of the Ghost - Diana Wynne Jones

25. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

24. The End - Lemony Snicket

23. Eleanor and Abel - Annette Sanford

Earlier this Year

22. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis

21. Prince Caspian – C.S. Lewis

20. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – C.S. Lewis

19. The Silver Chair – C.S. Lewis

18. The Horse and His Boy – C.S. Lewis

17. The Magician's Nephew – C.S. Lewis

16. The Last Battle– C.S. Lewis

15. Bad Twin - Gary Troup

14. The World According to Garp - John Irving

13. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle

12. The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander

11. The Black Cauldron – Lloyd Alexander

10. Howl’s MovingCastle – Diana Wynne Jones

9. Andromeda Strain – Michael Crichton

8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling

7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J.K. Rowling

6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – J.K. Rowling

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J.K. Rowling

4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J.K. Rowling

3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – J.K. Rowling

2. Charmed Life – Diana Wynne Jones

1. The Lives of Christopher Chant – Diana Wynne Jones

My TBR List:

Conrad's Fate - Diana Wynne Jones

Holes - Louis Sachar

The Homeward Bounders - Diana Wynne Jones

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens

Nebraska Legacy - Diann Mills

Power of Three - Diana Wynne Jones

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

The Reader - Bernhard Schlink, Carol Brown Janeway

Sarah - Marek Halter

The Stand - Stephen King

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

I LOVED Wicked what did you think of this?

The End - Lemony Snicket

Have to admit that I gave up at about Book 4 but think I need to get back into this purely so I can read the last one! (don't feel I can unless I've ploughed through the rest)

I LOVED Wicked what did you think of this?

I would defiantly recommend Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It's a great book though not at all how I expected it to be.

Have to admit that I gave up at about Book 4 but think I need to get back into this purely so I can read the last one! (don't feel I can unless I've ploughed through the rest)

You should read the whole series. The books are greatly enjoyable! Though, I have to admit that the last book left me a bit cold. There were so many open ends; mysteries left unsolved. But, it was still a fun read.

You should read the whole series. The books are greatly enjoyable! Though, I have to admit that the last book left me a bit cold. There were so many open ends; mysteries left unsolved. But, it was still a fun read.

I've read speculation that there might be a 14th book - as The End had 14 chapters, and all the rest had only 13! They may answer your questions yet!

I just finished Eleanor and Abel this morning. It's a romance story, which is a genre I'm not really into but this book was at least endurable. It's a sweet little story about an elderly woman falling in love for the first time. The characters were all enjoyable and even though the story was very simple, it still held my attention.

My next read is The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones. Sounds appropriate with Halloween coming up:)

The ghost turns up one summer day, alone in a world she once knew, among people who were once her family. She knows she is one of four sisters, but which one? She can be sure of only one thing - that there's been an accident.

As she struggles to find her identity, she becomes aware of a malevolent force stirring around her. Something terrible is about to happen. One of the sisters will die - unless the ghost can use the future to reshape the past. But how can she warn them, when they don't even know she exists?

My next read is The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones. Sounds appropriate with Halloween coming up:)

The ghost turns up one summer day, alone in a world she once knew, among people who were once her family. She knows she is one of four sisters, but which one? She can be sure of only one thing - that there's been an accident.

As she struggles to find her identity, she becomes aware of a malevolent force stirring around her. Something terrible is about to happen. One of the sisters will die - unless the ghost can use the future to reshape the past. But how can she warn them, when they don't even know she exists?

Mmm it does sound interesting, darn it, another one to go on the to read list!

I finally finished Time of the Ghost. Just like the other Diana Wynne Jones books that I have read in the past, I found the plot to be completely original and unpredictable. Once I got through a bit of a slow start the story completely captured my attention. I enjoyed getting to know the four main characters who are four young sisters who have neglectful parents and therefore get into a lot of mischeif. The story has a lot of supernatural elements making it a great read for the Halloween season.

I've been so busy lately that I've barely had time to come to this site! Well, I accidently left my copy of The Lovely Bones at a friends house and I won't be able to get it back for a few days so I picked up a quick read to keep me happy until then.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

When Coraline steps through a door to find another house strangely similar to her own (only better), things seem marvelous. But there's another mother there, and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go. Coraline will have to fight with all her wits and courage if she is to save herself and return to her ordinary life.

I stumbled upon the website for this book a while ago and completely forgot that I was really interested in reading it :smile2: I obviously didn't write it down lol

It looked fab from the site and it really had me hooked, then I slept and forgot all about it.

Thanks for reminding me about it, I'm glad I'm not going to miss out now. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently found out that they are making Coraline into an animated film. I gotta say, I am curious to see how it will turn out. As I was reading the story, I kept thinking that it would make a great Tim Burton film (he's not going to be the director though).

I finally finished The Lovely Bones. I actually had a free day yesterday and gave myself a headache because I read so much. The Lovely Bones is quite a sad story! I had to fight tears for most of it. It's a nice story though.

I managed to find some free time during my short holiday break to read The Giver by Lois Lowry. I had read this book years ago when I was in the 7th and remembered how wonderful of a story it was. I think that it was even better reading it for the second time. This book is destined to become a classic!

My latest read was Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones. It's the sequel to a book that I've read previously this year, Howl's Moving Castle. I greatly enjoyed the first book and this sequel did not disappoint. The story was just as funny as the first and filled with many twists and surprises. Defiantly a great read!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I think that this book is now ranked up with the top books that I have read this year. The book takes place in 19th century China and is about a special relationship between two women. The story is so sweet but completely heart breaking at the same time. What I really liked about the book is that I learned a lot from it about that time period in China. I love when I can read a book at be educated as well as being entertained. I would definitely recommend this book and give it a perfect 10/10!