Good football books to read

footiemad

My son is reading Fabrice Muamba, 'I'm Still Standing' at the moment, the Bolton player who collapsed on the pitch. He is finding it quite an interesting read.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've found a good book to read, ''I lost my heart to the Belles'' I think by Peter Davies. It's quite moving to read about Women's football and the struggle they have to go through just to find a pitch to play on etc. I read it several times and it makes me think every time I read it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as a newcastle fan i have read the bobby robson, kevin keegan, shearers and gazzas stories which were all brilliant. Im currently reading Colin Murrays random history of football. And as ive been a football manager fan for the last 16 years ive read and enjoyed Football Manager Stole My Life.

• 4 weeks later...

Alex Fergusons new autobiography looks like it will be a good read. Although i used to really dislike Fergie i have respect for him as a manager so ill give it a read. Hopefully he dishes the dirt on a few players!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

My team is Liverpool and I've just started finding old biogs - picked up Billy Liddell's from 1960 the other day.

Stanley Matthews The Way It Was is in my collection via a used bookshop - looking forward to reading that. I also have old books by Jackie Milburn and Tom Finney.

More recent - Simon Jordan's Be Careful What You Wish For is a great read - about how he took over Crystal Palace and then lost it. Obviously The Damned United is a good read but there was another book by Phil Rostron written in answer to that called We Are The Damned United - which interviews the players and goes through what was true from that era and what wasn't. Fascinating chats with the old footballers.

Broken Dreams by Tom Bower is an excellent insight into the machinations of the FA and how football worked in recent times (and more often, how it didn't). Quite an eye opener into corporate ineptitude and backstabbings.

Clark Carlisle's You Don't Know Me, But... is another good read - not a well known footballer but he had his demons. He works for the PFA now.