Good football books to read

footiemad

Hi I'm not a huge reader but my wife loves reading so I thought I'd try a bit more-I love my football so I've read a few books and really enjoyed them I read cloughs war by Don Shaw I really enjoyed that and at the moment I'm reading Jinky -Jimmy Johnstone -The biography and it's a really good read -No disresect I don't want to read about Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard -I want to read about real football characters people like jock stein,Don Revie, Shanks the people who shaped our game and clubs -there's one out there now about bert trautmann -been thinking about buying that-love to hear from anymore footie fans and to hear what you recommend to read

I tend to steer clear of footballers' biographies and autobiographies. As you say, I don't want to a) read about Ashley Cole or :friends0: put any of my hard-earned cash into his already-groaning bank account.

One that is worth reading, though - and we've discussed it on here before, as I recall - is The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw by Paul McGuigan and Paolo Hewitt. It's the story of Robin Friday, who played for Reading in the 70s and, apart from being a very talented footballer, also led a, shall we say, "wayward" lifestyle. It won't keep you busy for too long, but it's a good read.

Every Boy's Dream, by Chris Green, is a (pretty critical) look at the system of youth coaching in this country, and in particular the failings of the Academy system - very relevant, in view of our recent less than stunning performance in South Africa.

You'll Win Nothing With Kids, by Jim White, is an account of running a boys' Sunday team, with the usual cast of deluded team managers and aggressive, over-pushy parents. Enjoyable, and the humour's interspersed with some sensible views from the professional coaches that White has access to in his day job as a sports journalist.

But the best football book, by far, that I've ever read is The Soccer Syndrome by John Moynihan. Written in the 60s, it's a collection of short essays on all aspects of the game, from parks football to the professional game. Of all the books I've ever read, this is the one which captures most accurately what the game's about (or should be about). It's out of print at the moment, but Amazon seem to have second-hand copies available.

Enjoy your reading! :D

Thanks I've read that as I'm an arsenal fan.

Hi footiemad, another gooner here . Have you read Arsene Wenger's biography - The Professor? Now there is a man who has shaped footie over the last few years.:roll:

I'm not a huge reader of this genre but I would imagine people who are, are hugely influenced by the team(s) they follow.

I could list 3 or 4 great books from ex-players of my team that would probably bore you to tears :roll:

One I did enjoy reading though from a high profile 'legend' of the game was

51ES1MPNDQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Thats the only book in this genre I would recommend for reasons already stated. Though as a Gooner you probably woudnt go near it!

Bit of general advice - stay away from anything David Beckham has ever wrote. I picked up his first and it was like a colouring book.

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

• 2 months later...

I love football. I get all the Man United Season Annuals every season. They're great. My brother gets the Arsenal ones, yuck. David Beckham autobiographies are also very good. I find him to be one of the more interesting footballers around. Match magazine is wortha read as well imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Stelling has a great football book out at the moment that I have just purchased. I would advise Jellyman's Thrown A Wobbly to anyone interested in him as a person, football or watching Sky Sports News. It is lighthearted, genius entertainment.

May I ask whether anyone has read it?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard that Tony Cascarino's autobiography is one of the best. Also Frank Worthington's (if you can find a copy) is supposed to be very entertaining - a classic 70s playboy.

I've read neither of those, but have read and would recommend Paolo di Canio's autobiography - not just football - also a snapshot of life and politics in Rome. It's fascinating, he's 'barking' :D

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best football books I've read is 'Braca: A People's Passion' by Jimmy Burns. It goes right back into the history of the club and all the political problems it had during the Spanish Civil War. I read it many years ago before they started to win the league again so no doubt you can pick up an updated version which includes this latest incarnation of the team.

Gazza's 2 books are heart wrenching reads, I used to think he was a bit of a fool but reading the books changed my mind completely.

I'd agree with Brian's recommendation of Barca.

Others I'd suggest, depending on specific interests:

A Season with Verona by Tim Parks

Tim Parks travels round Italy in support of his local team.

Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew

A broader perspective on Italian football, if still from a very personal viewpoint, culminating in the World Cup and match-fixing scandals.

Football Nation by Andrew Ward

A look at the history of British football since WW2, and its influence on our national identity.

One I've not read in its entirety, but enjoyed dipping into is:

The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football by David Goldblatt

Does what it says on the tin - aa big history of football. Looks to be worth reading if you've got the time and are sufficiently a fan of football.

I'm not a fan of football (rather the opposite), but have enjoyed these books a lot as they go beyond a straightforward interest in the sport.

Some great suggestions in this thread I'll add

Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff - A biography of Johann Cruyff

Captain of Hungary - Ferenc Puskas - The Galloping Major's autobiography

Behind the Curtain - Travels in Eastern European Football - Jonathan Wilson

Brilliant Orange - looking at Dutch football

• 3 months later...

Hi FM

Two of the best that I have read:

The Boss by Michael Crick.

An excellent Biography of Alex Ferguson. Crick is the editor of the Newsnight programme. He's a Red but as a journalist he details the good and the bad about Ferguson. Its an inspiring read re: Fergusons management style, but on the other side of the coin Ferguson tried to get an injunction against the books publication because of some of its content about certain darker dealings. No matter what your opinion of Alex Ferguson, this is a cracker of a biography.

Futebol by Alex Bellos.

A great insightful look at Brazilian football. From the history of the game in Brazil through to the politics of it and interviews with some of the movers and shakers including the late great Socrates. Its as good a travelogue as it is a sports book. I found it facsinating. I always thought the Brazilians were nuts about footall but reading is believing!

• 10 months later...

I find the 'old school' football biographies are the best. I read Graeme Sharps book recenty and that was a decent read, but perhaps I'm a wee bit biased being an Everton fan. I also read Gazza's book, and although I enjoyed it, I did find myself getting angry because it reminds you of what a wasted talent he is.

Fever Pitch - as you know - is a great book, and I'm told the Damned United is also a really good read but I am yet to get round to that one.

• 4 months later...

I found My favourite year, a football writing compilation from 1993, for 25p in RSPCA shop last week , it is so good really. It lists the favourite season, in some depth, of the contributors, who include Ed Horton and Harry Pearson. Excellent find it was too.