Second-hand books - can you do it?

gax23

I quite like it when books have a history. This mostly applies to very old books. I have a couple from the early 1900's for example, and I can just imagine some lady in layered skirts and floral hat sitting in the park reading the same book as I am.

I'm the same, the more read the better: it's like you get two stories for the price of one. Or like the previous reader has recommended it. One of my favorite books was a very old Rupert annual where the previous owner - a young child - had scratched out all the scary faces. I loved that. It shows she really cared, the book had a real impact on her.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love 2nd hand bookshops and websites.

I'd would be glad to be able to buy everything I read new. Bottom line though, I could never afford it. It'd be about a thousand pounds each year!

So the only books I buy new are preorders for my very favorite authors when they have something new coming out, and for authors I know and converse with from workshops and the like who are relatively obscure and who I believe deserve my support.

Awesomebooks dot com is an cracking website for 2nd hand books. I must have had a hundred from them this last year.

I don't buy books generally as I live in a city where I have access to five local libaries, one the main city libaray and I feel like by having them in the house I am leaving less room for life! as I can't afford to buy books and can't afford to move around huge bookcases as I don't own a house but I know what you mean it is lovely to have a new book, they have a great smell (like new shoes) and feel like it's a treat...

I wish, we had a second hand book shop. I have seen one on holidays and it felt like paradise. They seemed to have every book on five floors in cramped shelves. And I think its quite practical, you can get cheap books and can get rid of your old ones there. Even in our public library they don't take used books if they are not new hardcover.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless I'm looking for something specific, I often pick up books that are pre-owned as long as they are in a moderate condition, I don't have a problem with it. In fact I went into a well known book store the other day and they had books in the sale that were in a worse condition than the second hand ones I had bought, and they were dearer!!

I buy most of my books second hand, only if there is a book that has been long anticipated and that I want to read the moment it is for sale will I buy new, usually the next of a series. I love second hand books for all the reasons that others have mentioned, the tattier the better in my opinion! I get most of mine from amazon for a penny.

I can't use the library as I hate having to give books back after I have read them, particularly if I have loved it! Same goes for borrowing books, if people want to recommend something to me then I have to have my own copy. My bookshelves are my favourite part of the house!

A woman I used to work with refused to read a book that anyone had read before her. She wouldn't use the library, buy second hand or even borrow books. I thought she was mad. I just can't understand why it matters. Especially when she complained so much that she had no money. Use the library then it's free, but no she wouldn't. I have no problem buying second hand, in fact I think it's nice to see that other people have enjoyed the book before you. There used to be a lovely antiquarian book shop in my town, it was paradise. Unfortunately it closed down about 5 years or so ago now. It's a shame really. I buy quite a few books at 1p on amazon too. :ditto:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought 6 second-hand books last week. Bought is almost a too strong word as they were incrediby cheap. ;)

I am not too fond of the smell of an old used book. I prefer the smell of a brand new book no one has opened. But it does not really matter afterall.

Second-hand books are better for the environment and the bank account. ;)

Most of my reading does come from second hand books or the library I am addicted to second hand book shops and stalls, I do prefer to have my books in good condition, and had some immaculate ones, but if I am collecting the books I will choose any condition and gradually try to replace them with better quality editions.

Like has been said it is recycling books, and the price of books these days, I would probably end up having to limit myself (horrors or horrors).

Interesting question, the answer for me is no. I buy 2nd hand books from the library (goodness knows how many people have read those), fairs and other street vendors. If I borrow a book from the library it is used, so it is the same thing, I just don't have to give it back.

I want to add that it makes reading for me a shared experience as well as a personal one.

Edited by busy91

This is an interesting one for me and one I've often thought about. Does anyone else have a problem buying second-hand books?

For me, books are a very personal experience. To feel that someone else has been there before you and read the book is almost akin to your girlfriend telling you about her previous sexual partners in great detail. I don't even like borrowing a book which may have only been read once from a friend.

The only exception I make is when I see beautiful old editions in bookshops (I found a book on English prose in a local bookshop recently - named inside with the previous owner's name, and marked 'Cambridge University, October 1912' - how can you refuse that?).

I find the whole pleasure to be in owning the book and it being a part of my collection - and mine only. What are your thoughts?

This thread is spooky as I was literally telling my freind this like an hour ago! We were in a charatiy shop and she was getting a new book and I said 'it sounds stupid but I unless the book is new and unread I feel cheated as someone else has already enjoyed it before me, I can't buy 2nd hand books'

strange!!!