Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read another 90 or so pages of Galileo's Dream last night, only about 60 to go, wahey! It could have done with being about 200-300 pages shorter, would have made it much more enjoyable but it's not bad so I'm determined to finish it.

I started reading my new Skullduggery Pleasant book this morning = mortal coil and I am loving it, I also managed to get some cheap book in the maerket, a Tess gerritsen I don't think I have read. Life Support and a Gena showalter (hmmm not sure I really like her but it was cheap). So I think I have enough books to read before my holiday and can safely take my new ones out of hiding now and pack them.

No reading for me today. Although, considering I didn't get up until lunchtime, and then spent the afternoon shopping for, then watching my OH put up eight bookshelves for me, I don't feel so bad! In fact, it was a lovely day and my new shelves are filled up nicely, I even ordered more books! :D Good day all round ;)

I received a huge portion of my Amazon order today:

The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey (hilarious!)

The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

Solanin by Asano Inio (I've already read it and it's incredible.)

The rest of the order were books for my classes:

Reading in the Dark: A Novel by Seamus Deane

The Shadow Lines: A Novel by Amitav Ghosh

The Karma of Words: Buddhism and the Literary Arts in Medieval Japan by William LaFleur

Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry

The Untouchable by John Banville

Midnight's Children: A Novel by Salman Rushdie

The God of Small Things: A Novel by Arundhati Roy

Good lord, that's a lot of reading for one semester!

Wow, what a list, Echo! Looks like we'll be seeing you again sometime around Christmas, eh? :D

I'm still playing around with the eReader Barnes and Noble gave me to test out. Been reading The Last Witchfinder on it and am really liking both the book and the electronic gizmo. :)

finished Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. Liked it! Crazy story, like the rest of his books. haha Now I must figure out what to read next..

Oh! I loved this book Whitegold :D A bit odd, but really interesting. I loved all the old movie trivia he threw in too.

I'm reading Dark Lover by J.R Ward and it seems to be recovering my lost mojo for me. I've also read a few chapters of Once by James Herbert which was recommended by a friend. It's pretty good so far and I'm looking forward to getting a few more chapters read....it seems like my kind of story.

Unfortunately, I've given up on American Psycho and have filed it away for another day. I wasn't a fan of the over descriptive narration which I think is probably one of the quirks of the book. :rolleyes:

Wow, what a list, Echo! Looks like we'll be seeing you again sometime around Christmas, eh? :D

Yeah, my reading list is ridiculous. And that's only about half! The other half were ordered earlier. This week, I'm reading Remains of the Day.

I also went out to Goodwill and picked up Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, IT by Stephen King, and a bunch of travel books. Me is happy. :)

Oh! I loved this book Whitegold :D A bit odd, but really interesting. I loved all the old movie trivia he threw in too.

Unfortunately, I've given up on American Psycho and have filed it away for another day. I wasn't a fan of the over descriptive narration which I think is probably one of the quirks of the book. :rolleyes:

Same here! The trivia was fascinating!

I have American Psycho on my TBR pile. I hope all the descriptive narrative isn't too overwhelming. It worked well in the movie though. Have you seen it? Great movie! :D

I started The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I've never read any of his books before, and wanted to read Notes from an Exhibition but it wasn't in the 3 for 2 offer and this one was, so this was the one I got! Glad I did though, and looks like I'll be getting more of his in future. :D

My activity so far is to wrap a book to send to Australia for my brother, who is in need of new reading material. I could just tell him what to get, but there is something thrilling about getting a book through the post, whether you are expecting it or not! :wink:

I plan on getting my first review finished today on a book I am close to (slowly) finishing. My mojo has been very sickly of late, so I have been nursing it with a chapter here and there rather than masses of reading. This is working, but just makes progress soooo slooooow. :blush:

Finished The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross. 'Twas okay, but my enjoyment was slightly dampened because I didn't realise, until after I bought it, that it's the third book in a series :rolleyes:

Now reading Lee Child's first Jack Reacher novel, Killing Floor :cool: I've read several of the others but not this one, for some reason :doh:

Finished Men in Space last night. It's a strange one - well written, but there were just too many strands going on, and they didn't come together for me. Not sure what it was all about, at the end of the day.

Now I'm on to some light reading - Ashes to Ashes by Marcus Berkmann (sub-titled 35 years of humiliation (and about 20 minutes of ecstasy) watching England v Australia). Now, that's a subject I believe my good friend Kylie and I may have discussed on occasion in the past ....

I did indeed look at your blog! I did not however order anything today :irked: What is wrong with me?? I keep putting it off!!! :hissyfit:

I have no idea what is wrong with you, but it's definitely something, and I don't like it one bit. Straighten yourself out, woman!! :irked:

I haven't yet done any reading today, but I've spent most of the day alphabetising my books and reshelving them. So much fun! My library now looks all nice and neat for Frankie. :)

:giggle: Excellentomundo! You know I think I'll be in such an enormous awe of your library that I dare not touch one single book. I'll just admire it from the distance. Like a painting in an art gallery.

I finished Erica Spindler's Killer Takes All, now I'm reading Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon I'm 100 pages in and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying SofW, it's one of my favorite reads ever :smile2:

No reading for me today. Although, considering I didn't get up until lunchtime, and then spent the afternoon shopping for, then watching my OH put up eight bookshelves for me, I don't feel so bad! In fact, it was a lovely day and my new shelves are filled up nicely, I even ordered more books! Good day all round

8 bookshelves?? :lol: He's a keeper, you know :wink: Which books did you order?

My activity so far is to wrap a book to send to Australia for my brother, who is in need of new reading material. I could just tell him what to get, but there is something thrilling about getting a book through the post, whether you are expecting it or not! :wink:

Not that I don't appreciate the way you two are nursing his reading needs, but I would like to ask how come he doesn't know what to read himself, and just buy books from the shops himself?

Not that I don't appreciate the way you two are nursing his reading needs, but I would like to ask how come he doesn't know what to read himself, and just buy books from the shops himself?

He generally has excellent reading tastes (he sent me me two fab books for my birthday), but does lots of different shifts at work, so has limited time and opportunity to go rummage, so asked for some variety in his reading. I named a few and have sent one (a crime), and am in the process of sending the other (an epic historical). I guess it's another means of me and my bro keeping in touch with each other. :)