Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I hope you enjoy "Alone in Berlin", Judy. I read it about three weeks ago, and I thought it was exceptional - definitely the best book I've read this year.

Thanks Roland. I'm halfway through and already considering it one of the best books I've read this year. Beautifully written and totally compelling. Reminds me at times of Emile Zola's writing - think it's the characterisation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Burned by P.C and Kirstin Cast. I thought it was Ok. I'm not upset that I have to wait for the next one. I will stillread them but I thought it was pretty average.

I am now 100 pages into The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter. Very fast paced book. Great for detective fans. I would not say highly original so far and you can see the author's influence from horror and psychological thriller movies. But has brought my mojo back after Burned was killing it slightly.

Back home from my little break so about to go into bed and try and get a few more pages read.

We stopped by Barnes & Noble today, but couldn't find anything.../shock. :)

But our mailbox more than made up for that disappointment. Two orders of mine arrived in the mail today!

Stoner by John Williams

Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson

The Death of the Adversary by Hans Keilson

The Chinese in America by Iris Chang

I could find none of the above at local book stores, either new or used! Irritating to say the least.

I first heard of the Keilson books from the Book Review section in the New York Times several weeks ago. Evidently they have just been translated into English.

Managed some more of The Secret Pilgrim by LeCarré. Lately I just haven't had spare time to read that much, and the book is so interesting, it's frustrating not to be able to just get the time in a row to finish. :irked:

I've just got a few chapters to go on The Good Doctor. I think it's definately going to be read of the year for me. I know it's years old but I can see why it was nominated. He's such a good writer.

Today is proof that books are good luck :) I was sitting in Barnes and Noble oogling the pretty books when I got offered a job there.Tuesday when I start (and my employee discount starts EEP!) I will celebrate by buying a lovely stack of new bookies!!!

Also, I got home to discover that McMillian Audio chose me to recieve an advanced audio book of A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay. It looks really good so I can't wait to recieve it :) Here's a link to the synopsis if anyone wants to check it out. It's gotten rave reviews so far.

http://search.barnes...I=a+secret+kept

Excellent book day :D

Edited by CaliLily

Finished The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carré and started The Thousand by Kevin Guilfoile.

I've read a few of Le Carré previously, but I am now officially hooked on his books! Will now have to read the entire Smiley series. :P

Geez Abby. Jobs are just falling into your lap now! Congratulations. :)

I received two books in the mail today:

The Bandini Quartet by John Fante

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (yay!)

This afternoon I'm planning to read loads more of Catching Fire, and I'm going to organise my books some more.

I actually read 134 pages (so far) of Galileo's Dream today, which is nice as I've only been reading about 50 or so a day for the last few days. 178 left to go - hopefully I'll get it finished before the weekend so I can move onto my next two reads - Under The Dome and The Crimson Petal & The White.

Blast Waterstones and their 3-for-2's. I went in to get Jo Nesbo's Nemesis and Robert Harris's Imperium but, as the latter was in the 3-for-2 deal, I naturally had to find two other books to get, so also ended up with Martyr by Rory Clements and The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I do try to stay away from bookshops, honestly, but buying books seems to be a bit like a drug at the moment :rolleyes:

@ Charm

I loved that book is one of my favourites by her. I couldn't put it down. I even walked into a lamp post because I was so engrossed in reading it while walking. I think I got off the wrong bus stop too because of it if I remember.

I loved that book is one of my favourites by her. I couldn't put it down. I even walked into a lamp post because I was so engrossed in reading it while walking. I think I got off the wrong bus stop too because of it if I remember.

That's it, blame the innocent book! :irked:

Sure it wasn't the fact that you were falling head over heels for a certain Will Trent and your growing lurve was making you daft? :giggle2:

I finished Dark Matter today, I did enjoy it but once again I am no sure I got it totally perhaps I should stop reading this kind of book when I wake up as the physics and maths and multiple worl theory was a ;ittle hard to grasp at that time of the morning :D . I have started re-reading Lori Handerland Dark Moon whilst I am trying to decide what to read next.

That's it, blame the innocent book! :irked:

Sure it wasn't the fact that you were falling head over heels for a certain Will Trent and your growing lurve was making you daft? :giggle2:

Haha, probably I love Will! have you got the new bok yet Chrissy?

I finished Dark Matter today, I did enjoy it but once again I am no sure I got it totally perhaps I should stop reading this kind of book when I wake up as the physics and maths and multiple worl theory was a ;ittle hard to grasp at that time of the morning :D . I have started re-reading Lori Handerland Dark Moon whilst I am trying to decide what to read next.

I have Dark Moon on my TBR pile. Is it any good??

CW

I have read a few of Lori Handerlands books and its the best so far:mrgreen: sexy werewolves and for a change a female one not including Kelley Armstrong's Elena.

Haha, awesome! I randomly got it at a charity shop for 50p and I instantly thought of Kelley armstrong's series.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother by Claudia Carroll. It took some getting into but I'm quite enjoying it now. It's a bit too fluffy, and the main character, Jessie, sometimes needs sense knocked into her but I'll finish it tonight just to see how it ends. :smile2:

We had to stay in town today between errands/appointments, so of course we went to Barnes & Noble. /sigh/

Bought:

A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carré

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears

Signposts in a Strange Land by Walker Percy

Read some more in The Thousand. Interesting so far.

@ Charm

I did end up enjoying it and did that whole racing to the end bit to see what happens and, I rather liked Will! Not one of my favourites mind you but better Slaughter form than some of her latter books ;)

started reading Dexter is Delicious.

Jealous!!! Can't wait to see what you think of this, I've been meaning to order it all week :rolleyes: Hope you enjoy it :D

Edit: Forgot to add my own activity ...again! :doh:

I finished Triptych last night then started Generation Dead by Daniel Waters. So far so good, I can handle the dead people, just a bit unsettling, I'm such a wuss :blush:

Edited by Charm