Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got yet another book in the mail today, and there's at least one more that will be waiting for me on Monday. I hate that the post office is closed on weekends! irked.gif Anyway, I received Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. I've been wanting to read this for ages. :)

I started The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and have been completely sucked in. I've read 175 pages of it today, and only about 5 of We Have Always Lived in the Castle (although it's also off to a very good start).

I hope your mojo returns soon Frankie. Maybe buying some books will help? wink.gif

I got yet another book in the mail today, and there's at least one more that will be waiting for me on Monday. I hate that the post office is closed on weekends! irked.gif Anyway, I received Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. I've been wanting to read this for ages. :)

I started The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and have been completely sucked in. I've read 175 pages of it today, and only about 5 of We Have Always Lived in the Castle (although it's also off to a very good start).

I hope your mojo returns soon Frankie. Maybe buying some books will help? wink.gif

Oooh, great books you've gotten/are getting in the mail! I've wanted Bridge to Terabithia for a while now, and I'm totally curious about The Hunger Games. I've heard the name We Have Always Lived in the Castle somewhere but can't remember why.

I don't think buying books will help, I've just got too many other things on my mind :blush:

I signed up to take part in a bookring run by Kelley Armstrong for her hard-to-get-hold-of novella, Angel. It arrived this morning. Looking forward to getting into it. :)

Thanks for remind me about We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Kylie and Frankie! I know I first heard Weave mention it and I've been meaning to add it to my wishlist :).

I'm just about halfway through The Heretic's Daughter, as of this morning. Hopefully I'll get some more in before bed tonight, since I doubt I'll have much time for reading this weekend. Oh! Last night I did also go through a huge stack of old issues of 'Western Horseman' magazine that used to belong to my grandma :giggle2:. They are all issues from 1963-70 and I'm trying to decide what to do with them...

Did you enjoy Flood, I thought it was ok, I found reading it in the bath the best experience :D to see if I could relate, although warm soapy water was not quite the same but it was so depressing in the end, I now have the sequel Ark I think it is to read.

Funny thing is, I believe I enjoyed it more in retrospect than at the actual reading. :wink: I put it on my reading list here, but I don't think I remarked on it in any way.

I liked the realism of the premise for the flooding. To me it was new information, especially with the information in the author's After Word. The bit about underground seas is fascinating, and the domino effect was well done. I'd have liked some characters to be more fleshed out, but with that cast it would have had to been twice as long. LOL

I am going out today, and hope to pick up a copy of Ark in fact. I think I got more out of Flood when I realized it was part of a series, and so figured out that a lot of it was set-up for the rest. I read somewhere that it was actually a trilogy, although I can't find the third. I may have misread.

I'm reading "The Westies" by TJ English.

Next up.. "Reading Lolita in Tehran"

Followed by "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

That's the plan anyway... the (real-life) book club may throw one in there somewhere, but this is the plan for now! :)

Funny thing is, I believe I enjoyed it more in retrospect than at the actual reading. :wink: I put it on my reading list here, but I don't think I remarked on it in any way.

I liked the realism of the premise for the flooding. To me it was new information, especially with the information in the author's After Word. The bit about underground seas is fascinating, and the domino effect was well done. I'd have liked some characters to be more fleshed out, but with that cast it would have had to been twice as long. LOL

I am going out today, and hope to pick up a copy of Ark in fact. I think I got more out of Flood when I realized it was part of a series, and so figured out that a lot of it was set-up for the rest. I read somewhere that it was actually a trilogy, although I can't find the third. I may have misread.

I personally can't say I enjoyed the read of the book either but what it did do is make a talking point between myself and the friend I borrowed it from. I think one of the problems I had was the large cast of characters and the fact that everyone was in some way flawed but I guess that made it more human, I am not sure flawed is the word I want to use, they were all in some way unappealing I think is the way I see it. The only note of brightness was the adaptation in the end of the children.

I have just started Ark and think I will probably finish it pretty quickly as its one of those books you want to see what happens.

As far as I know is it is part of a trilogy.

I personally can't say I enjoyed the read of the book either but what it did do is make a talking point between myself and the friend I borrowed it from. I think one of the problems I had was the large cast of characters and the fact that everyone was in some way flawed but I guess that made it more human, I am not sure flawed is the word I want to use, they were all in some way unappealing I think is the way I see it. The only note of brightness was the adaptation in the end of the children.

I have just started Ark and think I will probably finish it pretty quickly as its one of those books you want to see what happens.

As far as I know is it is part of a trilogy.

pickle, I just ordered Ark through Amazon Marketplace. I wanted it to match the paperback I have, so I ordered the UK paperback, I'll get it in 7 - 10 days.

The hardcover has just come out over here, last May, and I didn't want to pop for that, plus I like series to match if possible. Neither of the brick and mortar book stores in my area had it in stock anyhow. Sheesh.

Other activity includes purchasing ........

The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter

The Thousand by Kevin Guilfoile

The Time Ships is a pick up on H.G. Wells Time Machine, one of my favorites.

Edited by pontalba

I decided to start The Hunger Games trilogy as Mockingjay arrived today. Being that I've been avoiding anything related to the books for months for fear of spoilers, I'm really looking forward to reading them :)

I'm hoping my copy of Mockingjay will arrive in the next couple of days. I've started the The Hunger Games in anticipation and I read over half of it in one day because I was so absorbed. I was a little worried it wouldn't meet my high expectations, but I love it!

I'm hoping my copy of Mockingjay will arrive in the next couple of days. I've started the The Hunger Games in anticipation and I read over half of it in one day because I was so absorbed. I was a little worried it wouldn't meet my high expectations, but I love it!

Same here :) I sat down to read it, and couldn't put it down until I had finished :D

Returned The Big Over Easy - Jasper Fforde, to the library and I reserved The Fourth Bear by the same author. I'm so glad I've found this very clever author.

Just finished reading Harlan Cobens Just One Look, very exciting!

Now I'm ready to start Killer Takes All - Erica Spindler

Haven't done much reading the last couple days but a friend has been reading the books that the TV show Bones was based on and the more she talks about them the more I want to try them :) On Monday I'm going to the library to apply for a card and have a wander around the shelves.

On Monday I'm going to the library to apply for a card and have a wander around the shelves.

Better take a packed lunch Abby you know you will be there all day... :giggle2:

I have only 6 books in my TBR pile now !! I also took about 30 books to the charity shop last week. I find it easy to be ruthless to inanimate objects at the moment.

Aw frankie, hope your mojo comes back soon :hug:

I finished The Harlequin by Laurell K Hamilton last night, not sure what to read next, was thinking Triptych by Karin Slaughter .

I hope so too, no sign of mojo as of yet :(

Triptych is excellent! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :smile2:

Finished Cerulean Sins last night. Have Incubus Dreams lined up next, but wondering whether to sneak in a small book before I start it, or whether to just plough on through all 800+ pages of it! Hmm, maybe I could read a collection of short stories alongside it, so I can take a break every 100 or so pages to read something different ...

On Friday I found a copy of The Red House Mystery by A A Milne in a charity shop in Bath. :) I've had this on my Wishlist for ages. It's a newish copy, originally issued free with The Times newspaper.

I have a dilemma now. I'm currently reading Jane Eyre, and although I'm only on page 97, I'm really enjoying it, but I haven't much time to read at the moment.

My problem is that I want to see The Girl Who Played with Fire at the cinema, so I don't know what to do. Should I put down Jane Eyre and try to read this before the film disappears from the cinema (I can't see the film without having read the book first) or should I just wait for the film to come out on DVD? I really enjoyed the first film on the big screen. Hmmm. :unsure:

Haven't done much reading the last couple days but a friend has been reading the books that the TV show Bones was based on and the more she talks about them the more I want to try them :)

These are great reads, a bit like the Scarpetta books if you've ever read them, hope you find the first in the series ;)

I hope so too, no sign of mojo as of yet :(

Triptych is excellent! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :smile2:

Thanks! I've read the whole first ...... 2 pages! :giggle2: I think I just need to come up for air lol

Still no mojo for you? Not like you hun and not like Dexter either to chase it away, Dexter by Design is actually back to form :huh: Maybe you're just not in the Dexter mood atm? Hope it hurries back!