Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still reading Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang but need something a little more 'story' like so tonight I'll be hunting for something short to read alongside it- possibly The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson or The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Guest Eliza1

I'm still reading One hundred years of solitude. I like it but I want to climb into the book and just shoot all the liberalists and the conservatives for taking up half the book. I don't like books with a lot of politics. I don't like politics because I don't understand it. I can be honest about that.

Read another 100 pages of Obsidian Butterfly this afternoon, and I'm really getting into it now, so I can't see it lasting too long!

Glad to hear it picks up, Edward isn't exactly my favourite character :D

I saw a tv movie adaptation years ago, so I already know what happens, but it's interesting reading the books obviously because it's first person. I haven't seen the award-winning adapatation, Charly, so I might track a copy of that down.

I'm dropping off applications for both Borders and 1/2 Price Books this weekend, does that count as activity?! :D I'm also planning on getting in a lot of reading of The Last Witchfinder this weekend.

I've picked up Flowers For Algernon at last! So far so good, though I have to read it slowly to decipher what Charlie is saying, bless him. :D

I would love to hear your thoughts when you finish. This is my favorite book. :)

I just finished it lol, it's short enough that I was able to read it all tonight.

It's a very cleverly written book. I'm going to start a thread on it, since there isn't one even though a lot of people like it.

I really only meant to look for more books by William Boyd. Really. And we were successful. Snagged both Brazzaville Beach and Restless by him.

Ummmm. But there was that new Jeffrey Archer, A Prisoner of Birth on sale at Barnes & Noble, just calling my name. Then, on the sale table I saw The Last Thing I Remember by Andrew Klavan. I don't know how that will turn out, I just noticed it is labeled in teeny, tiny print, Juvenile Fiction...but with a synopsis like this....

He's strapped to a chair He's covered in blood and bruises. He hurts all over. And a strange voice outside the door just ordered his death.

The last thing he can remember, he was a normal high-school kid doing normal things--working on his homework, practicing karate, daydreaming of becoming an air force pilot, writing a pretty girls number on his hand. How long ago was that? Where is he now? Who is he really?

And more to the point...how is he going to get out of this room alive?

How could I pass that up? :D

I love, love, love 'Brazzaville Beach', and really enjoyed 'Restless', so I am looking forward to reading what you think of them. :D

'The Last Thing I Remember' sounds so intriguing, I am having to hold back from looking on Amazon.

Just finished 'Little Big Man' by Thomas Berger and about to start 'The Return of Little Big Man' also by Thomas Berger :D

Just finished 'Little Big Man' by Thomas Berger and about to start 'The Return of Little Big Man' also by Thomas Berger :D

Well, that's interesting ! I read and loved (let's put it differently... adored) Little Big Man (the book and the film too) and never never NEVER expected a sequel ! But is that really a sequel? I mean the narrator was already 111 years old in the 1st book....

Have you started it? What's it about so far ? Jeeee.... I'm so curious (and flabbergasted as well)

I'm still going with Obsidian Butterfly.

I also popped into Waterstone's this morning, intending to get the new collection of short stories by Simon Van Booy, which the sales assistant looked up and said they had in stock, but we couldn't find it in Short Stories or Fiction or Romance or even Crime, Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, or Childrens! We ended up giving up and she's ordered it for me, but their distributors say it's out of stock at the moment, so I'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks :D

While I was there, picked up the next in Alyson No

I started Quantum: Einsten, Bohr, blah blah blah. Long title is long. So far so good though, it's not covered anything I didn't know but it certainly lays it out simply (which is always good for me, because I know I know the stuff but I could never explain it properly and still find complex sentences or lots of technical jargon tough to follow - I'm a bit slow like that :D)

This morning I was a bit naughty and ended up buying 7 books. Barnes and Noble.com was having a big sale so I only spent $20.00 for all of them :)

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Sun Stroked by Cathryn Fox

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

The first 3 books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse) by Rick Riordan

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi

I'm off to the salon now to get my hair totally redone (which will take a few hours :D) So I'm hoping to finish Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang during that time.

I really only meant to look for more books by William Boyd. Really. And we were successful. Snagged both Brazzaville Beach and Restless by him.

I love, love, love 'Brazzaville Beach', and really enjoyed 'Restless', so I am looking forward to reading what you think of them. :)

I've read Any Human Heart and I enjoyed that, but I haven't tried anything else by him.

I've got about 80 or so pages left of Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell left to read. I don't know what to read next - I ought to read The Girl Who Played With Fire but for some reason I can't seem to get round to picking it up. :D

- I ought to read The Girl Who Played With Fire but for some reason I can't seem to get round to picking it up. :D

I've read all three, and the second is better, faster moving, more Lisbeth than the first.

I love, love, love 'Brazzaville Beach', and really enjoyed 'Restless', so I am looking forward to reading what you think of them. :lol:

'The Last Thing I Remember' sounds so intriguing, I am having to hold back from looking on Amazon.

I'm thinking I'll read Restless next.

I finished The Last Thing I Remember last night, read it in one sitting. In spite of it being a "juvenile" fiction story, it held my interest. I had to know what happened, and wouldn't you know it...it's the first of a trilogy.....:friends0::lol:

Only managed 57 pages of Quantum today, it's a book that will not be rushed! Haha. Thinking of starting The Earth Hums In B Flat alongside it, soon as I read the last 20 pages of Popco.