Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I have done a bit of reading today, finished the Gena Showalter I bought yesterday it was a blah, so I am hoping that the Tess Gerritsen I bought yesterday is better, its not an Isles and Rizzoli bit it still looks ok.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started A Brief History of Time - I hope I make it past Black Holes this time!

Wow... very ambitious undertaking!

Last night I bought Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (SQUEE!) and Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough. Today I'll be starting Clockwork Angel as I've been waiting for this for more than a year! (Double SQUEE!)

I have no idea what is wrong with you, but it's definitely something, and I don't like it one bit. Straighten yourself out, woman!! :irked: 8 bookshelves?? :lol: He's a keeper, you know :wink: Which books did you order?

Sorted myself out and ordered ... wait for it ... the new Dexter novel!! :exc: Can't wait to get it :D I also ordered the Generation Dead series for Kookie (& me of course) as she picked up the bookring copy I was in the middle of on Fri and I haven't seen it since, I think she's nearly finished it! Then I ordered the new Kelley Armstrong installment and two more Laurell K Hamilton books.

Oh yeah, I think I will keep him! I think a 21 yr trial is long enough, I'll let him stay. :giggle2:

Finished Alone in Berlin yesterday - fantastic read - gave it 5 stars on LibraryThing. Started Started Early, Took the Dog by Kate Atkinson today - finding it a bit slow but nevertheless it's good.

Edited by JudyB

:giggle: Excellentomundo! You know I think I'll be in such an enormous awe of your library that I dare not touch one single book. I'll just admire it from the distance. Like a painting in an art gallery.

I will be very upset if you don't touch my books. :( You'll notice I'm a bit anal and line my books up precisely with the edge of my shelf. But I don't even mind if they get pushed around a bit because then I get to line them up again. I think I have a problem. :huh:

I've been reading several Alison Weir's books. First I read "Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life" and now I'm reading "Queen Isabella". Next up is "Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life Of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster".

I also burned through Joey W. Hill's "Vampire Trinity".

I met with a bunch of friends to watch a film tonight and one of them brought the next 2 Sookie books for me! So, Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail are now added to my TBR shelf. My friend told me the fourth book, which I'm due to read next, is her fave, so hopefully I'll like it too :D.

I'm also only about 50 pages short of finishing The Heretic's Daughter, which I read quite a bit of this morning whilst lounging in bed. It even had me in tears :(. I love these Salem witch trial books, but part of me just gets so mad when I read them...

Finished Alone in Berlin yesterday - fantastic read - gave it 5 stars on LibraryThing.

Really good, wasn't it? I found the historical note at the end really useful, too - it was enlightening to know that, like many characters in the book (and probably like many Germans in real life), Fallada was neither a rabid Nazi nor a fervent anti-Nazi, but found himself in a situation where he just had to rub along as best he could.

He generally has excellent reading tastes (he sent me me two fab books for my birthday), but does lots of different shifts at work, so has limited time and opportunity to go rummage, so asked for some variety in his reading. I named a few and have sent one (a crime), and am in the process of sending the other (an epic historical). I guess it's another means of me and my bro keeping in touch with each other.

Ach so, that explains it. I think it's definitely a good way to keep in touch with your brother :) And he must be just delighted to get random (though excellent!) titles in the mail :smile2:

Sorted myself out and ordered ... wait for it ... the new Dexter novel!! Can't wait to get it :D I also ordered the Generation Dead series for Kookie (& me of course) as she picked up the bookring copy I was in the middle of on Fri and I haven't seen it since, I think she's nearly finished it! Then I ordered the new Kelley Armstrong installment and two more Laurell K Hamilton books.

Oh yeah, I think I will keep him! I think a 21 yr trial is long enough, I'll let him stay.

Yayyy!!!! :exc:I'm really excited, I honestly can't wait to see what you think about it and especially the beginning of the novel. Remember to get back to me with your initial thoughts on it! Although... I see you ordered some Armstrong and Hamilton, do you think you'll read them first once you get them?

You don't need a 21 year trial if he's such a good bookshelf builder :lol:

I am hooked on To Kill a Mockingbird. I've only got another 50 pages to go but I would say its one of the best books I have ever read.

I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying this one :smile2:

I will be very upset if you don't touch my books. :( You'll notice I'm a bit anal and line my books up precisely with the edge of my shelf. But I don't even mind if they get pushed around a bit because then I get to line them up again. I think I have a problem. :huh:

I don't consider that anal at all, I consider it common courtesy and showing considerationg for the books. Whenever I'm in the library and see a book that's been pushed in the back I make it my case to take it out and put it nicely and neatly between it's neighbors. I like neat rows. I wouldn't treat your books with anything else but with utmost respect. You can count on me on that one :cool:

I don't consider that anal at all, I consider it common courtesy and showing considerationg for the books. Whenever I'm in the library and see a book that's been pushed in the back I make it my case to take it out and put it nicely and neatly between it's neighbors. I like neat rows. I wouldn't treat your books with anything else but with utmost respect. You can count on me on that one :cool:

Aww, you're sweet. friends0.gif

Started 'Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins :)

I'm so excited for you Weave! I just finished it today and it was awesome. :D

Just about to start Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. From what I can ascertain from the blurb, it sounds like it will be an exciting, but at the same time intriguing, novel. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Started reading Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. Only about 60 pages in but am liking it!

That's my next book, Whitegold! :D I'll be finishing The Heretic's Daughter later today and will start the Bradley after that. I'm hoping too that I like it because I know there's a second one in the series that just came out this year.

I met with a bunch of friends to watch a film tonight and one of them brought the next 2 Sookie books for me! So, Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail are now added to my TBR shelf. My friend told me the fourth book, which I'm due to read next, is her fave, so hopefully I'll like it too :D.

I'm also only about 50 pages short of finishing The Heretic's Daughter, which I read quite a bit of this morning whilst lounging in bed. It even had me in tears :(. I love these Salem witch trial books, but part of me just gets so mad when I read them...

I think the fourth Sookie book is just about everyone's favourite! You'll totally understand when you read it :giggle2:

I'm really glad you're enjoying The Heretic's Daughter and I agree, the witch trials were very maddening to read about, but that young girl had such an unbelievable strength of character, it was somehow uplifting. Sorry you were in tears though :console:

Yayyy!!!! :exc:I'm really excited, I honestly can't wait to see what you think about it and especially the beginning of the novel. Remember to get back to me with your initial thoughts on it! Although... I see you ordered some Armstrong and Hamilton, do you think you'll read them first once you get them?

Nope! I'll be delving straight into the delicious one as soon as it arrives, might just skim through the others first though ;)

Really good, wasn't it? I found the historical note at the end really useful, too - it was enlightening to know that, like many characters in the book (and probably like many Germans in real life), Fallada was neither a rabid Nazi nor a fervent anti-Nazi, but found himself in a situation where he just had to rub along as best he could.

Yes, very much a story of the human condition. Although the Nazi context possibly pushed it to extremes it is a very everyday position to be in. I expect a lot of people have found themselves in situations which threaten to compromise their principles and at the risk of becoming unpopular, or ostracized.

Yes Book 4 in the Sookie series is my favourite too for obvious reasons. :giggle2:

Just went to the library today and stocked up - I've got The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, Vlad: the Last Confession, For Whom the Bell Tolls by E Hemingway and a Jill Mansell book to break it all up. Am going to be busy.