Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished 'The Radleys' by Matt Haig and I am trying and failing with 'Eat, love and pray' by Elizabeth Gilbert :(

Edited by Weave

Jo Nesbo is evil! I've just been reading a particular sequence of events in The Redbreast - one of those sequences where he telegraphs what's going to happen and then proceeds to wring every last drop of suspense out of it. Brilliantly written, perfectly orchestrated. He's evil I tell you! :lol:

Finished "The Clothes On Their Backs" by Linda Grant last night. If I was being all pseudy, I'd describe it as a challenging yet poignant exploration of identity and family relationships. But as I'm not, it was a thoroughly good read.

Edited by Roland Butter

I got 3 books today for my birthday, Ellis Island & One Moment, One Morning, & The Legacy...all of which I gave to hubby for :mrgreen:ideas

Guest Eliza1

I'm seven chapters into The Good Doctor, I love the way he writes. He's so easy to read but gives you such an atmosphere. I can barely put it down. I've read The Imposter and I loved that too, I think I'll read the rest of his work.

I finished Adrian Mole the Lost Diaries when I got in from work, I loved it so funny had forgotten it...they did a tv adaptation didn't they in the 80's cause I have had the song ' Pandora I adora'.... going round in my head all day or is that just from the book

I'm reading Alone in Berlin by Hans Falada at the moment - I'm really enjoying it. When I bought it I assumed that it was a newly written novel but have discovered that it was written in 1947 just after the 2nd World War which makes it even more fascinating.

I think I'd describe We Have Always Lived in the Castle as a bit disturbing. But it was quite interesting and really well written.

I have The Lottery and Other Stories on my TBR, but I did get around to reading title story. It's really quite short, but very good.

Both going on my to be bought list. Thanks!

Jo Nesbo is evil! I've just been reading a particular sequence of events in The Redbreast - one of those sequences where he telegraphs what's going to happen and then proceeds to wring every last drop of suspense out of it. Brilliantly written, perfectly orchestrated. He's evil I tell you! :lol:

Just wait till you read Jo Nesbo's Nemesis. :cool:

I started reading Juli Zeh - Dark Matter this morning, why for someone whose grasp of physics and mathematics was basic at best ( we always seemed to do circuit boards in physics I never could get mine to light up) do I read fiction on the subject and find them so fascinating, they could say anything and I would believe it, thankfully this is also a mystery.

Finished Hotel World by Ali Smith today. I love her. Have my first collection of her short stories to read on the shelf, but have decided to have one of my occasional sojourns into non-fiction, and will be reading Coral: A Pessimist in Paradise by Steve Jones next.

I finally gave up on Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I had to return the book to the library and since I wasn't enjoying it that much I didn't see the point in renewing it. Besides, I normally finish my books way before the three week library deadlines.

I took out Vlad: The Last Confessions by C.C. Humphreys, which is more my type of book. I am really enjoying it so far and find myself trying to read it at every possible chance. I only heard of it through this forum so, thanks everyone for your great recommendations :D

I've also swapped (via read it swap it) for Eragon and Wedlock and am waiting for those to arrive :)

Started "Men in Space" by Tom McCarthy last night. Bit of an odd one:

"Set in a Central Europe rapidly fragmenting after the fall of Communism, "Men in Space" follows a cast of dissolute Bohemians, political refugees, a football referee, a disorientated police agent and a stranded astronaut as they chase a stolen icon painting from Sofia to Prague and onwards. The icon's melancholy orbit is reflected in the various characters' ellipses and near misses as they career vertiginously through all kinds of space: physical, political, emotional and metaphysical. What emerges is a vision of humanity adrift in history, and a world in a state of disintegration".

Actually, there are a few more laughs than you might imagine ...