Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished To Kill A Mockingbird. Totally not what I was expecting, although talk about preconceived ideas based on very little knowledge... I haven't even seen the film, and I was basing my expectations on clips from the film! Good book though, enjoyed it a lot.

I'm a third of the way through Room by Emma Donoghue. Excellent book. Claustrophobic in the way the movie 'The Hole' is. But very different because it's told from a child's perspective. The author must have an immense imagination to not only come up with this story in such detail, but to tell it through the eyes of a five year old. I couldn't imagine an adult's response to the situation, let alone a child's.

Also going to read some more of Tender Morsels later, as it's nearly finished and I'm working on my review.

Finished Keeping the Dead--Tess Gerritsen and wasn't disappointed.

I'll be finishing Imperial Bedrooms-Bret Eston Ellis before I turn out the light tonight. A much shorter read than I'm used to, but none the worse for that.

Starting tomorrow with Julian Clary and Devil in Disguise. Should be camp larks all round. :giggle2:

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward

Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward

Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward

Yay! :exc: Glad you enjoyed the first enough to order more! :D

I finished Broken - Karin Slaughter last night. I loved it!!!!

I almost bought this today, almost. Then I bought kookie 3 books instead .... boy she's good :huh:

Edit: Forgot to add my book activity :doh:

I finished Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton and moved straight on to Micah and Strange Candy by the same author. Well, of course I didn't even read the back of it and just headed on in there to enjoy another doorstop of a book. What I didn't realise was that, it was in fact one main story from the series, like a novella type of thing (Micah) followed by a selection of short stories (Strange Candy) by the same author with no relevence to the actual series! :o I was so peeved :irked: I just read the Micah story and put the book in my handbag to have the short stories for when I'm stuck waiting for something or other, then I went on to the next in the series, which I was glad to have or I'd have went nuts! So now I'm reading Danse Macabre by Laurell K Hamilton, a little sooner than planned! :lol:

Edited by Charm

I pushed the button on proceed to checkout today on amazon so I have 6 books winging their way to me

Perdido str station - Chine Mieville

The Whispers - John Connoly

The latest Kresley Cole ( a guily pleasure of mine :D ) Demon from the Dark

The latest Skulduggery Pleasant can't remember the title Mortal Coil I think

Vlad the one everyone talks about on here cause it sounded fascinating

Waking the Witch Kelley Armstrong I Just couldn't resist for any longer

I finished The Lost Continent and read a few chapters of Definitely Dead. And I received three books in the mail today:

Bill Bryson: The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

Bill Bryson: Shakespeare

AA Milne: The Red House Mystery

smile.gif

I almost bought this today, almost. Then I bought kookie 3 books instead .... boy she's good :huh:

I finished Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton

YOu have to read the previous ones first though as it does have a few spoilers in it. I am already in anticipation for the next one. Typical Slaughter. Loved it.

Been really getting into Evermore by Alyson Noel. :)

Glad to hear you like it. I am planning on getting it soon.

As for me, I took the kids to the library and around the village. I was able o get my oldest some strategy and Battle books for my soon who collects warhammer figures. I have neverseen him so excited. in the same shop I was able to getThe Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson. This had been in te shop for a while and always put it back but after hearing the reviews, I bought it today for £1.50. In the other charity shop I bought. Kathryn Fox Blood Born. I had this on my wishlist for ages and it onl cost 50p. Also another book on my wishlist Dark Origins by Anthony E Zuiker. It is the guy who created CSI. I saw this in Asda around Cristmas ans wanted it then. I got it for 75p today :D Yay for charity shops!

***Edit** I forgot to say that I have also read 100 pages of Burned last night. seem to be zipping through it well

Edited by catwoman

Two of my books arrived from Amazon this morning Perdido Street Station and Vlad the question is should I hide them from myself to take on holiday otherwise I will read them, but can I resist for 2 more weeks???? arghhhhh

Edited by pickle

Continuing with This Side of Paradise. Since it's an ebook it's going very slow, despite it being a great read.

I'm just really slow with ebooks. My eyes hurt :D

Edited by Brida

I haven't been on this website in a while :doh: but I have done lots of reading :readingtwo:

I'm currently reading The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, which is keeping me entertained enough to read but it isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'm almost half way through and keep finding myself falling asleep whilst reading it... not a good idea. Has anyone else read this?

I haven't been on this website in a while :doh: but I have done lots of reading :readingtwo:

I'm currently reading The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, which is keeping me entertained enough to read but it isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'm almost half way through and keep finding myself falling asleep whilst reading it... not a good idea. Has anyone else read this?

Hi MM, nice to see you back. Yes I read the Labyrinth and thought it was the most overrated book of the decade LOL. The premise was good and she wrote it on the back of the conspiracy books that were being churned out at the time - I thought it would make for an interesting plotline but for me it just didn't hit the right notes. Not helped (in my copy at least) by the use of the word OK ...... in the 12 Century??? Shame really. I found Sepulchre another big disappointment.

Hi MM, nice to see you back. Yes I read the Labyrinth and thought it was the most overrated book of the decade LOL. The premise was good and she wrote it on the back of the conspiracy books that were being churned out at the time - I thought it would make for an interesting plotline but for me it just didn't hit the right notes. Not helped (in my copy at least) by the use of the word OK ...... in the 12 Century??? Shame really. I found Sepulchre another big disappointment.

Thank you :) I was very surprised by all the changes when I logged back on :wink:

I read large chunks at a time and she has started three different chapters by explaining that the character had woken up and didn't know where she was. I found that annoying :huh:

I'm racing through Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's terribly addictive - I can barely put it down. Interesting how the name Jack Reacher crops up in it. huh.gif

I finished Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton and moved straight on to Micah and Strange Candy by the same author. Well, of course I didn't even read the back of it and just headed on in there to enjoy another doorstop of a book. What I didn't realise was that, it was in fact one main story from the series, like a novella type of thing (Micah) followed by a selection of short stories (Strange Candy) by the same author with no relevence to the actual series! :o I was so peeved :irked: I just read the Micah story and put the book in my handbag to have the short stories for when I'm stuck waiting for something or other, then I went on to the next in the series, which I was glad to have or I'd have went nuts! So now I'm reading Danse Macabre by Laurell K Hamilton, a little sooner than planned! :lol:

Ooh, I'm glad you've told me that - something to remember when I get that far that I can skip that one! :lol: I've got one more book I want to read before I dive headfirst into Cerulean Sins and Incubus Dreams which I've had from the library and repeatedly renewed for ages now. Hoping to read them over the long weekend coming up :smile2:

From my own reading, I finished the exquisitely beautiful collection of short stories, The Secret Lives of People in Love today. Best book of the year so far for me.

Going to make a start on Something Beginning With by Sarah Salway this evening.

I'm racing through Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's terribly addictive - I can barely put it down. Interesting how the name Jack Reacher crops up in it. huh.gif

Oh I'm delighted to hear this, I bought it despite the bad reviews I had read because I loved the premise - I'm glad you're... enjoying it? You didn't actually say you were enjoying it, just that it's addictive :giggle2:

I read nearly 300 pages total of Tender Morsels and Room yesterday, only 30 pages left in the former and most of my review written for it, and about 50 pages left in the latter, so both will get finished today. Also read the first few pages of Galileo's Dream and it looks very promising.