Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

The Memory Garden, by Rachel Hore - for my wife, in recognition of our trip to Lamorna

I'm reading this at the moment via bookring on here Roland and really enjoying it...I'm sure she will.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend gave me No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong when I saw her tonight. I'm not up to this one yet in the series, but I thought it was a good idea to add it to my stack anyway! :lol:

I'm also up to page 88 in Uglies and am enjoying it. You can definitely tell it was written for a younger audience, but it's a very intriguing story and one I don't like to put down :D

Finished Glass Houses by Rachel Caine this morning, it is the first in a series called the Morganville Vampire books. I enjoyed it so much that I've been out and bought the 4th, 5th and 6th in the series this afternoon, I already have 2 and 3 ready and waiting as the whole series is on 3 for £5 in The Works - thanks to Lexiepiper for the recommendation on these :friends3:

They're addictive, aren't they? :lol: I read the first six in quick succession, but have managed to resist 7&8 so far and am saving them for my holiday :smile2:

I'm about halfway through The Perks of Being A Wallflower and it's really good. Will probably finish this morning, and want to carry on with the short stories in The Secret Lives of People In Love afterwards.

I'm reading this at the moment via bookring on here Roland and really enjoying it...I'm sure she will.

I got this in the post yesterday and looking forward to starting it later today!............I finished The Dream House by the same author yesterday and totally enjoyed it! :readingtwo:

Couldn't sleep last night, so I started re-reading Vlad by C. C. Humphreys. Don't want to get stuck into a new book right now as I've review books arriving next week and I want to start them a.s.a.o. Actually enjoying Vlad more the second time, knowing all the twists and events that come later.

I couldn't pick this one up yesterday - but I'm damn well going to get it today!

Loved Stone's Fall, Mac! But you didn't really expect anything different, did you?! ;) LOL Happy reading!

I thought of you when I saw it, Marcia! Can't wait to get my teeth into it. friends3.gif

Yesterday I visited a groovy little second hand book shop and picked up Ulysses by James Joyce and - you're going to love this, Marcia - Giotto's Hand by Iain Pears!!! Woo Hoo! laugh.gif

Woo Hoo! I've just bought: I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (I know, I've already read it, but I lent it to someone and they haven't given it me back for SEVEN YEARS and I wanted a copy); For One More Day by Mitch Albom; and Vlad by CC Humphreys (thanks to Nollaig for this - already looks good when I was reading it in the street, getting in peoples way...)

Nice one. My bank hurts.giggle.gif

I thought of you when I saw it, Marcia! Can't wait to get my teeth into it. friends3.gif

Yesterday I visited a groovy little second hand book shop and picked up Ulysses by James Joyce and - you're going to love this, Marcia - Giotto's Hand by Iain Pears!!! Woo Hoo! laugh.gif

Giotto's Hand!! :clapping: Woo Mac! Excellent purchase my friend :D Forgive me, but have you read the Jonathan Argyle series before? I can't remember, shame on me. Pears is clearly the MAN!

Well, I finished "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada, and I'd thoroughly recommend it - the best book I've read this year, for sure.

Set in wartime Berlin, it recounts the story of Otto and Anna Quangel, initially grudging supporters of the Nazi regime on the grounds that "at least things were better than they used to be". The death of their son on the Eastern Front, however, prompts them into small-scale acts of resistance, leaving anti-war postcards in public places in the hope that other like-minded dissidents will be encouraged to take up the struggle against a regime which is sending young German men to pointless death. Meanwhile, for Gestapo Inspector Escherich the hunt for the elusive traitors who are sowing anti-Nazi propaganda becomes an all-consuming personal challenge which draws even innocent citizens into the clutches of the secret police.

Like most translated novels, the prose is a bit clunky in places, but even allowing for that, it's a gripping thriller, and above all it captures perfectly what it must have been like to live in a society where even the most innocent person could find themselves coming to the attention of the State, and where even the most innocuous neighbour could be a Government informer. Really excellent!

Giotto's Hand!! :clapping: Woo Mac! Excellent purchase my friend :D Forgive me, but have you read the Jonathan Argyle series before? I can't remember, shame on me. Pears is clearly the MAN!

Nay, Lady. I haven't. But, DUDE, am I going to! Pears is the King of...erm...writing the good stuff! an8.gif

Oooh, you're in for a treat then, Mac! It's a fun little series to be sure :D Please give regular updates on how you're liking it! Pears is the Man, the King and let's face it, miraculous! ;)

Finished Glass Houses by Rachel Caine this morning, it is the first in a series called the Morganville Vampire books. I enjoyed it so much that I've been out and bought the 4th, 5th and 6th in the series this afternoon, I already have 2 and 3 ready and waiting as the whole series is on 3 for £5 in The Works - thanks to Lexiepiper for the recommendation on these :friends3:

I keep meaning to get these, and I don't live near a works, so I hope that I can pick them up when I go away!

Woo Hoo! I've just bought: I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (I know, I've already read it, but I lent it to someone and they haven't given it me back for SEVEN YEARS and I wanted a copy); For One More Day by Mitch Albom; and Vlad by CC Humphreys (thanks to Nollaig for this - already looks good when I was reading it in the street, getting in peoples way...)

Nice one. My bank hurts.giggle.gif

I have wanted to read I, Lucifer for a while now, also like you I have wanted to read Vlad since Noll spoke about it.

As for me, not done all that much reading this weekend. I'm not liking it as much as the other series. I'm on Chapter 5 and I'm rather bored. I loved The Big Over Easy because I laughed from he beginning to the end. I have not laughed once with this book yet :( I hope it picks up soon!

I went to a medieval reenactment with my kids and on the way back, while dressed up, I went to a shopping area and picked up a Brand new copy of New Moon. It is the movie edition but has a rad poster at the back, also the size seems different, but I don't actually own a copy myself (I only own breaking dawn) and for £2.50 I couldn't resist. I also picked up an early Xmas present for my oldest. The second Captain Underpants book and the last one he needed to complete the series.

Yay, glad you enjoyed it :D

Well I'm very happy you recommended them Kelly! To be honest I have a bit of a prejudice about books with photos of people on the front (don't ask me why!!) I don't usually read them but seeing as you always seem to like the same types of books as me I thought I'd give them a try :smile2:

They're addictive, aren't they? :lol: I read the first six in quick succession, but have managed to resist 7&8 so far and am saving them for my holiday :smile2:

I keep meaning to get these, and I don't live near a works, so I hope that I can pick them up when I go away!

I went to The Works in Durham yesterday and got the next three books in this series that I didn't have, 4, 5 and 6 because I liked the first book so much so I'm hoping that they will all be as good. Shame you don't have a Works near you Catwoman - they do have a website though but whether or not it will still be a good deal when you add the postage on I wouldn't know.

I finished Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood and I had mixed emotions about it. That doesn't mean I didn't like it. I just thought in some ways it could have been superior to what it was.

Not sure what I am going to read next.

Finished TG's Keeper of the Bride last night and loved it - it certainly kick started the old reading mojo which has been missing of late. Not sure what I'll start next I do have one or three to choose from :D

Had a good hour reading in the garden today as it was so nice, so am really getting on with The Memory Garden. :readingtwo:

Edited by Inver

Whoa. Nice new avatar, Inver!

I have finished Dexter by Design by Jeff Lindsay and am now about to embark upon Vlad, heartily recommended by Nollaig and written by a chap called C C (Chris, I believe) Humphreys. Looks excellent, and I'll report upon it forthwith. readingtwo.gif

Hey guys, had a bit of a hiatus from site activity recently due to lack of computer, but using the iPhone to update now. During my absence I finished The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Wolf Hall and The Turn of the Screw, ALL of which were excellent. Today I started American Gods by Neil Gaiman and am so far both surprised and impressed - the former by how vulgar and vivid Mr. Gaiman can be, and the latter by the strangeness and skill involved in telling the story.