Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer on any fiction strikes again. Picked up three more books on the Rory Gilmore list - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Wicked by Gregory Maguire and The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Still reading The Dog Who Came In From The Cold by Alexander McCall Smith, it's ok, but I don't like it as much as some of his other series, Hoping to finish it this evening.

Half way through The Street Philosopher by Matthew Pamplin,his debut novel I bought last year,and having read rave reviews for his 3rd novel recently I thought I'd catchy-up! :)

AA Milne: The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh

I read Winnie-the-Pooh recently and totally fell in love with it, so I treated myself to a beautiful hardcover edition of both stories.

I keep meaning to revisit my W-t-P books - they were my absolute favourites as a child. :)

I got 19 books for £7.50. I'm a very happy person at the mo :lol:

Wow - what a bargain!

I finished Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons today - I loved it.

I'm about to start The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison which my Mum and I went halves on from the Oxfam bookshop on our day trip to Romsey. :) I'm staying with her again tonight and I only packed the one book, so I had to buy it! :angel_not:

I finished reading Haunted by James Herbert today, really enjoyed it. I am about to start reading The ghosts of sleath By James Herbert. Hope it's not too scary though!

Reading Twlight by Stephenie Meyer.

Lucky you!!!! I have it on my Ipod, and I ws going to listen to it this afternoon, but I can't find my Ipod. Enjoy, I really did like that book. I think the first book where I honestly thought I would not like it and I lvoed it.

Guest Eliza1

I'm still reading The thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. I'm a bit confused, I know he tends to use words that he has come up with himself for certain things, I looked it up and they are called neologisms I think. Cloud atlas is full of them too. I'm just confused, how are you supposed to find out what they mean? :S I try to guess some from the context, but it's not always possible.

I got from a charity shop The Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson

The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards

Hope you enjoy the Memor Keeper's Daughter. I read it recently recommend it.

I received in the post today 'The Memory Garden' by Rachel Hore. It is a bookring on here run by Kate. Just off to start it now. How can I be reading 3 books at the same time!

I just finished reading Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. Very good read, although I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened at the end. My brain is a bit tired at the moment.

Oh dear, the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer on any fiction strikes again. Picked up three more books on the Rory Gilmore list - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Wicked by Gregory Maguire and The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Excellent choices! I loved them all. smile.gif

I got 19 books for £7.50. I'm a very happy person at the mo :lol:

Wow, I'd be pretty happy with that too!

I keep meaning to revisit my W-t-P books - they were my absolute favourites as a child. :)

Wow - what a bargain!

I finished Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons today - I loved it.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you re-read W-t-P. :)

I just read your review of Mr Rosenblum's List. One for the wish list I think!

I'm reading The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life by William Nicholson. It's set in a Suffolk village over the course of six days, and it about all its inhabitants.

Intriguing title! How are you enjoying it?

I'm still reading The thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. I'm a bit confused, I know he tends to use words that he has come up with himself for certain things, I looked it up and they are called neologisms I think. Cloud atlas is full of them too. I'm just confused, how are you supposed to find out what they mean? :S I try to guess some from the context, but it's not always possible.

Hmm, if an author is making up words that can't be understood by the reader in the context of the text, I'd say something has gone wrong. I wouldn't be too impressed at all.

I am halfway through 'The Wind in the Willows' :)

Is this your first time reading it Weave? I really loved it.

I read about 40 pages of A Journey to the Centre of the Earth yesterday. For such a short novel, it's certainly taking me a long time to read. It's very detailed in its writing, but I'm really enjoying it.

Hi Kylie, I read 'The Wind in the Willows' years ago and I enjoyed it but I feel like I am reading a new book :lol:

Have started the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and am really enjoying it so far. I am about 70 or so pages in. I was worried because I had read many people saying that the first 250 pages were pretty tough going and then it picks up. I have fund it pretty enjoyable so far, not amazing but solid stuff and if it is going to get much better I will be delighted. Am undecided on if I should read the whole series straight through or leave a gap between each book?

Any chance you're buying those solely because they're on the Rory Gilmore list? :lol: Or have you fancied reading them even before realising they're on it?

I am about 200 pages in to the Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, and so far am enjoying it very much. It's the 2nd book about slavery I have read in recent years.

That's a very good book. I'm not usually a fan of the sprawling, "life-time" epic, but I thought Lawrence Hill pulled it off very well.

I just received the books I ordered using the amazon gift card my sister got for me.

They are all by Haruki Murakami. I loved Kafka on the Shore that much. :blush:

Probably won't have too much time to read today, but I'm hoping to get my Goodreads account cleaned up. After signing in for the first time in a couple of months I was a bit surprised to see just how 'messy' it is.

Any chance you're buying those solely because they're on the Rory Gilmore list?:lol:

Maybe

Or have you fancied reading them even before realising they're on it?

I have wanted to read a couple of them, but not all three I have to admit but a 3 for 2 offer is just too good to refuse biggrin.gif

Finished The Dog Who Came In From The Cold today, and have three more library books to finish before I can start anything else, so will start one of them this evening.

Finished Alice in Wonderland last night, quite enjoyed it, except the end.

I just received the books I ordered using the amazon gift card my sister got for me.

They are all by Haruki Murakami. I loved Kafka on the Shore that much. :blush:

Which ones are they? Kafka on the Shore is on my wishlist after loving Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.