Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Dexter is Delicious this morning, not the best Dexter book in my opinion, but different! and I still enjoyed it. :)

This afternoon I returned Dexter to the library and picked up 3 books,

Silent Scream - Lynda La Plante, I've started this all ready and it's looking good so far.

Just One Look - Harlan Coben and

Wicked - Gregory Maguire.

I'm totally at a loss. I don't know what to read next and it's making me edgy. I don't like this at all. :(

Frankie, I hope I'm not too late, but I have come up with a great reading choice for you. See the Rory Gilmore Challenge thread for more details. ;)

I've read more of Little Women and A Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I should have a couple of books to pick up from the post office this afternoon. :D And I have about 6 other books on order, but 3 of them are pre-ordered so I have to wait at least another month.

Read lots yesterday, 250 pages to be exact. I am currently reading Little Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes and am enjoying it but not as much as his previous book Gold. Only 50 pages to go and then I think I may start Alone in Berlin.

Frankie, I hope I'm not too late, but I have come up with a great reading choice for you. See the Rory Gilmore Challenge thread for more details. ;)

I've read more of Little Women and A Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I should have a couple of books to pick up from the post office this afternoon. :D And I have about 6 other books on order, but 3 of them are pre-ordered so I have to wait at least another month.

You're not too late! I saw your post and am able and willing to participate. But seeing you'll be starting it in a few weeks I thought I might read something before that. I started reading Georgia Byng's Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism and so far I'm really enjoying it :)

Ooooh, can't wait to hear what you got ni the mail :D

I couldn't pick up my parcel because it was too big for the box. I'll have to wait until Monday when my friend can get it for me. :( I'll keep you in suspense until then!

I'm glad you've agreed. :) If you finish your current book and want to read To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm more than willing to pick up. I'm already reading two books. What's one more? biggrin.gif

I was going to start China Mieville The City and The City but as it would have had to be a quick read before work I decided it would be worthless to try and start so I started Pieces of Modesty a Modesty Blaise novel by Peter O'Dell an excellent read.

Finished up What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day and now I'm into The Winter Vault by Anne Michaels. This is is my book club's SEPT selection and since I was able to get it at the library the other day, thought I get it read now. :readingtwo:

Bought a few new books today. Crossroads of Twilight, Robert Jordan, Soul Music, Terry Pratchett, and H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 3: The Haunter of the Dark.

Read a couple of chapters of The Two Towers and also started The Call of Cthulhu.

Read more of City of Glass today, and one of the characters describes himself as "contrary" and got a sudden sense of sadness as it made me think of my mum who always used to call me a "contrary madam" when I was little. However, it was always followed by a smile or a laugh, so remembering that cheered me up straight away. Underused word, but mum was right, it describes me perfectly. :lol:

I'm on the downward straight of Lovely Green Eyes now - I've been reading it since 29 July!

I bought two new books today - The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry and a very short non-fiction book The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett. I paid the princely sum of £1 for both, although the charity shop only wanted 50p for them! :lol:

I only hav about 50 pages of Alice in Wonderland left (Alice has just gone into the Queen's garden). But I have only read about 50 pages of Midnight's Children, I'm finding it pretty hard going but that's more from writing style that plot so I'm persevering.

Between everything else going on this week, I've only managed 50 pages of In the Shadow of Gotham, but am loving it! It's so creepy and right up my alley :D.

I also received the following books in the mail today from her-sparkly-ness, Weave:

A Scots Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith

Thank you Paula!! :D

Edited by peacefield

Oooo Peacefield, that In the shadow of Gotham sounds fascinating. I look forward to reading your review.

As for me. I had to go into hosptial briefly and was able to catch up on a little reading. I finished THe Bone Collector, and I loved it. I can't believe I left it so long, and I won't leave it so long to read the rest.

Now I am 50 pages into the new Cornella Funke book called Reckless. It's not out until September I don't think but I won the chance via twitter to recieve a copy and review it for Waterstones. So far it is going OK :) It's always hard to get into a book when you have just finished such a fantastic book.

I've decided to take part in the Rory Gilmore Book Challenge that a few others here are doing, and Waterstone's have a 3 for 2 offer on ALL fiction this weekend, so I bought two books from the list, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, both of which I'd been meaning to get for a long time, along with my free book which was Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons.

Now off to sort out the Rory list and figure out what books I need to catch up on that everyone else has already read, and maybe try and order them from the library. I love lists :smile2:

Just finished Dark Blood. Stuart Macbride can't put a foot wrong in my humble opinion. If he carries on writing using such dark gallows humour, I'll continue giggling at inappropriate subject matter.

It's such grim fayre even for crime fiction, that the humour really lightens it.

Can't wait for his next novel.

Next on the list; The Audacity of Hype-Armando Iannucci. The comic genius having a good old rant about life in the 21st century.