Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I can recommend these of the top of my head.

Hate Crime; The story of a Dragging in Jasper Texas. I found it utterly moving. I can't remember the name of the Writer, I think Jane King maybe?

Hate Crime: The Story of a Dragging in Jasper, Texas

I got curious about this because of your post and wikied the story, such awful stuff :( :( :( There was also a mention of the case of Emmett Till, I read that also, he was only 14 years old. I cannot believe the stuff people will do. Then was led to the Matthew Shepard case of which I knew already and then noticed this American pastor Fred Phelps who actually went and picketed Shepard's funeral with his followers. How can he call himself a real religious person is beyond me. Makes me sick. 

Started the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon yesterday and read about 120 pages. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I find his writing really engaging and his characters deep and interesting. Am off to read some more, hope it continues being as enjoyable.

Now that's a great novel right there, I hope you enjoy it till the very end :) 

Haven't had time to read today but I'm soon off to bed with my book. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Tana French's new one Faithful Place last night, a terrific mystery novel, Ms French is getting better and better with this, her third book. I can't wait to see what direction she goes next, she likes to take secondary but important characters from her previous and make them the main focus of her next. I started Stoner by John Williams, very good so far.

I finished Something Rotten. It was surprisingly a little sad. Jasper Fforde is so very clever. :)

Next up is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I'm long overdue to read this and can't wait to get stuck into it.

I've finished Benjamin Black's Elegy For April, and I have to say it's the best of the series yet IMO.

Next up, an oldie, but a goodie. Ice Station Zebra by Alistair MacLean. I've only seen the film 2 or 3 times. :D Unfortunately the book won't have Patrick McGoohan, but I expect I can struggle along. :P

Woke up at 3.15am. Checked my bank online to see how much I got paid today, saw how low my wage for the month was, and then stayed up for about 50 pages worth of The Book Thief. I'm on around page 300 out of 550. Hope to get it finished this weekend.

Aw nothing serious I hope? Feel better soon! :console:

Thanks mate, I hope it won't last too long. My mojo is dissapearing fast!

I finished Blood of angels by Michael Marshall the third part in the Straw Men trilogy not having read the first. It was good, the usual conspiracy thriller with a little murder and mayhem thrown in.

I have The Straw men and The Blood of Angels on my TBR pile I keep meaning to read them

This morning I finished Second Chance by Jane Green. I thought it was a good book :) I'm now doing more dissertation reading: London to Brighton by Michael H. C. Baker - a book about the train line, yipee :huh::sleeping-smiley-009 lol!

A friend lent me 31 Songs by Nick Hornby, and after skimming through Flowers for Algernon I decided to put it on the tbr list.

I actually started reading the book (FFA) yesterday at her place and got so involved in the story I forgot to talk to her :D

Just for a moment though...

After skimming through Flowers for Algernon I decided to put it on the tbr list.

I actually started reading the book (FFA) yesterday at her place and got so involved in the story I forgot to talk to her :D

Just for a moment though...

Flowers For Algernon is an excellent book, and I would heartily encourage you to pop by our thread for same in the..... Sci-fi forum, I would imagine, but I'll have to go check. I'll post a link. It's a very discussion-y sort of book, and people have very different reactions to it.

--> Link to Flowers For Algernon thread <--

Today I bought The Forgotten Garden, YIPPEE!! I had to pay full price (€9.50) for it as I couldn't find it in the charity shop, but that's still both of Morton's books for €11 total. Hardly bad! :D

Flowers For Algernon is an excellent book, and I would heartily encourage you to pop by our thread for same in the..... Sci-fi forum, I would imagine, but I'll have to go check. I'll post a link. It's a very discussion-y sort of book, and people have very different reactions to it.

Today I bought The Forgotten Garden, YIPPEE!! I had to pay full price (€9.50) for it as I couldn't find it in the charity shop, but that's still both of Morton's books for €11 total. Hardly bad! :D

I agree with Nollaig about Flowers For Algernon. Excellent read.

I hope you enjoy The Forgotten Garden as much as you did The House at Riverton. :smile2:

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman is definitely a page-turner, although I am so busy lately it's difficult squeezing in reading time.

I finished my second book of the week, that's good going for me!

I've read, Blood Vines - Erica Spindler and Hell Gate - Linda Fairstein both of them were very good reads. Tomorrow I'll be picking up Dexter is Delicious from the library, looking forward to reading it very much. :)

Tomorrow I'll be picking up Dexter is Delicious from the library, looking forward to reading it very much. :)

Oh looking forward to seeing what you think of this pipread! I hope you enjoy it :D

I finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris at last, a bit disappointed :( Hopefully it's just a glitch and the next will be far better. I've started Ecstasy Unveiled by Larissa Ione.

I finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris at last, a bit disappointed :( Hopefully it's just a glitch and the next will be far better.

I felt a bit like that. It wasn't the worst in the series but wasn't the best either. Hopefully the next couple will improve to send it off right :smile2:

I skim read Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris this morning :)

I bought 2 books today:

China Mieville: Un Lun Dun

Walter Moers: Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures

I've read several chapters of Little Women, which I'm really enjoying.

Started Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong yesterday and I'm about half way through, and it's just as good as the rest of the series, and I'm totally loving it. First book from Savannah's point of view, and am hoping to finish it today if I can find time. :smile2:

Managed to get lost in The Girl Who Played With Fire lastnight, and didn't emerge from it until the early hours, when I had finished. I got lost in the last couple of hundred pages, as the plot ran away. It was a wonderful book - I'll review soon - and now I have to decide what I want to read next.