Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read more of Checkmate and have also started Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde. I plunged my hand into my pile of bookmarks to get one for the Fforde book and by sheer coincidence I pulled out a bookmark designed by Fforde which shows Thursday Next's car. I thought that was pretty cool. :cool:

I started The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath today.

What do you think of it? I really enjoyed it!

I'm reading A Daughter's Journey by Lyn Andrews at the moment, so far so good :cool:

Are you not liking the book Brida?

As for me, I have only got 2 pages read of the Jo Nesbo - The Devil's Star read. Just because it is the first day of the Summer Hols for the kids and they are craving my undivided attention today. I am hoping I am not too tired to get some reading down during work.

Lets just hope that this is going to be a good book!

Are you not liking the book Brida?

No, I can't say I don't like it, I just can't seem to read much these days :D

Well, I won't bother you with that, after the rant post I've made a few secs ago...

Anyway, it's different from the Adrian Mole books, that's for sure, but you can still feel the Townsend wit :D

Aah, 1st day of the summer hols, so late?

Yeah, give them the attention they want, since they're so lucky to be able to get it :)

I've now finished The Mother's Tale by Camilla Noli. It's certainly shocking, but I found it a riveting read.

I'm now reading Grace Williams Says It Loud by Emma Henderson, which looks to be an intriguing read already.

I'm just about finished with "Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets". I had to read it to make sure it's suitable to read to my boys, I believe some of the books later on in the series may cause nightmares. It'll be allright I think, the monsters are very unrealistic :blush:. I read something to them every night. (Yes, I believe this is how you train future bookworms)

I got my cytostatic treatment today, so I finished "The selected work of T.S. Spivet" by Reif Larsen, and am now about halfway through "Maskerade", Terry Pratchett.

Went to my charity shop today and picked up a perfect hardback copy (from 1991!) of Jurassic Park for €4.50 and a perfect paperback copy of The House At Riverton by Kate Morton for €1.50.

:D

Finished The Great Stink by Clare Clark. Recommended for those who like Victorian thriller stuff.

Now reading (or dipping in and out of) Ronnie Scott's Jazz Farrago, an album-style compilation of articles from the house magazine of Ronnie Scott's club. I didn't want to commit to anything too heavy, or something I wouldn't finish before I go away on holiday. And it's good to be reunited with some of Ronnie Scott's old jokes ...

Today I bought 

White Butterfly by Walter Mosley

A Red Death by Walter Mosley

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby by Tom Wolfe

Pig Island by Mo Hayder

... and even though I bought them I sorta got them for free  :smile2:

Today I bought

Pig Island by Mo Hayder

... and even though I bought them I sorta got them for free :smile2:

I love And then there were none by Agatha Christie its one of my favourites of hers, I spent years tracking it down it had many less politically correct names before thee settled on that one.

I started reading The Affair of the nine Cufflinks or something like that and its not to bad, sort of Agatha Christie like a romping mystery set in large house in the 1930's eay reading i love it.

I picked up a travel guide of Estonia today as I have a new penpal there. Also browsed the local bookshop but did not buy, helps when you have a 3 year old with you.

I'm still reading Chamber of Secrets but this is one of my favourites in the series.

Today I went to my favourite charity shop and got another 5 books for £1:

*Off the Record - Sue Welfare

*The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory

*Married Alive - Julie Burchill

*Come Together - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees

*Everything You Ever Wanted - Rosalind Wyllie

Today I bought

Pig Island by Mo Hayder

... and even though I bought them I sorta got them for free :smile2:

Free eh? I never have that much luck! :rolleyes: Can't wait to hear what you think of Pig Island, I found it rather odd.

I haven't read a thing today .. yet. I do plan to remedy this later ;)

I read a chapter of Lilith St. Crow's Strange Angels from a promotional booklet I found at the pub. It was slightly above average, but not above average enough to make me want to actually buy it and find out how the story carries on unfortunately...!

Some books I ordered arrived today. :e010:

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman

The Seance by John Harwood

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Edited by Pixie

I finished my requisite 160 pages of Witz over the weekend (480 more to go) so I'm going with something less challenging, but hopefully very good- Tana French's new one Faithful Place.

I got my cytostatic treatment today, so I finished "The selected work of T.S. Spivet" by Reif Larsen,

What did you think of this? The book always stands out on my shelves because it looks so interesting.

ETA: Oh, I just saw your review. Good news. :)

I have this too. I couldn't resist a book with such a whacky name. And besides, I had been wanting to read the other one Wolfe wrote (names escapes me at the moment).

I've read another chunk of Checkmate. If I keep it up I can finish it today and get stuck into Something Rotten.

Edited by Kylie