Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a good deal through The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson and I am hoping to finish it in the next few days. I can't recommend the trilogy enough. I'm sure many of you have read it, but if you haven't, then make sure you don't miss out. It's good stuff.

Guest Eliza1

I'm about 10 chapters into The Winter House, didn't read anything yesterday, watched persuasion instead, Captain Wentworth is very pretty... I like him:blush:

I bought Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl for a reading group on another book forum, and for my own pleasure :D

I read this last summer and loved it. I hope you enjoy it! =)

I should finish Gone with the Wind by this weekend, but I don

I started reading one of my library books last night I can't even remember the title, on the back cover I was attaracted to ' mysterious....deadly...gripping...' talk about false advertisment a man is shot on the first page, by half way through nothing and I mean nothing has happened there is no mysterious or deadly about it.

So I have started The God of The Hive - Laurie R King which I am enjoying immensely

I read this last summer and loved it. I hope you enjoy it! =)

I've already read it once before, but I loved it so much that I want to reread it and own it as I know I'll go back to it from time to time. Such a funny, enchanting novel, Kinsella's best in my opinion :D

I should finish Gone with the Wind by this weekend, but I don’t want it to end!

It's an amazing novel isn't it, once you get it going. We did a mini reading group on this a few months ago, I loved the novel and was really sad when it ended. Maybe you'll want to read the sequel, Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley? I've not read it yet myself but I have it on my TBR. There's also Donald McCaig's Rhett Butler's People, which is apparently written from Rhett's perspective.

Enjoy :(

I've been re-reading Jane Austen the last few days. I've already finished both Persuasion and Northanger Abbey, and now I've started Mansfield Park. I love re-reading Austen! :D

I've been re-reading Jane Austen the last few days. I've already finished both Persuasion and Northanger Abbey, and now I've started Mansfield Park. I love re-reading Austen! :D

Good times Echo, you are 'Lost in Austen' :(

I'm reading IT again, first time in a few years, I stayed up until about 2am this morning reading it, i'm quite suprised so far how different it is to how I remember it, I dont think I fully took it in and appreciated it on my first read.

I gave up on The Book Thief a quarter of the way in. Not my thing at all.

Maybe you'll want to read the sequel, Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley? I've not read it yet myself but I have it on my TBR. There's also Donald McCaig's Rhett Butler's People, which is apparently written from Rhett's perspective.

Enjoy :D

Scarlett is not in the same class as GWTW, by a long shot. Of course that is only my opinion, and lots of readers may and do differ with me there. Scarlett is more of what I'd call a "bodice ripper" type romance I guess. Not my cuppa. JMO

Rhett Butler's People was quite enjoyable though, telling the story from Rhett's side. I liked it.

OK, the decision's been made. It's The Great Stink, by Clare Clark. Looks like a Victorian murder mystery thing-y, with slums, dark corners and lots of swirling fog. Somebody's been reading Dickens ....

To quote:

Through the city sewers walks surveyor and ex-soldier William May, just back from the horrifying brutality of the Crimean front and hiding from his own demons in the darkness beneath the capital's streets. But when May stumbles across a body in the tunnels, his discovery draws him into a maelstrom of underworld corruption that drags both himself and those closest to him further into depths from which there may be no possibility of light - or return ...

I love a good maelstrom.

I finished Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang and am working on writing my review. Due to moving this weekend I don't think I'll start a new book until next week (mainly due to the fact that all my books are packed).

Just finished the second of the Morganville Vampire series, The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine. Think I need to move away from fantasy for the next book (I said that two books ago, but I mean it this time!). Will be getting my next book group books this evening, so will see if I fancy one of them first, otherwise, will pick something off the TBR shelves.

I had a kind of frustrating day of book activity- went to the local bookstore to buy both Apartment 16 and Encounter at North House Road, two horror books i discovered through rave reviews on this very forum :lol:, so i asked the assistant did they have the books and after 5 minutes of tapping keys in her laptop, she said "Sorry, never even heard of the books, they are not on any system" !, so i went home and tried to order both off amazon but they are both out of stock!!

What gives, i know the books are relatively new but its not usually this hard to order books, unless they have both been flying off the shelves due to rave hype but that seems unlikely. If any member has read these books please let me know how you got hold of them thanks. :D