Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

A shortened visit to the library as I was acommpanied by my sister with children in tow means I could only pick up my reserved books today, they are UnLunDun Chine Mieville ( I am very excited by this one ) and Mean Spirit by Will Kingdom, its a pseudonym for Phil Rickman and I have read and enjoyed all his books so I have high hopes for this.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to stop reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. I just couldn't get into it. I'm maybe not in the right frame of mind so I might pick it up again at some point.

Now I'm reading Sign of the Cross by Chris Kuzneski. And it's really really good!

Finished Obsidian Butterfly - pretty disappointed with it, but I hope it's just a blip, as I already have the next one on the series from the library. Think I'll try and finish off Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro next - one short story in the collection left to read.

at the end of 'The Politics of Experience' by R.D. Laing some of it is quite abstract. Some of it is quite visionary. There is a bit in the back called 'The Bird of Paradise' which i am limbering up for.

Nice, Nienna! I loved that book. Have you read any others by Hinton?

Never read any Hinton before! I saw in the intro that she wrote this one when she was only 17 - impressive. What else has she written?

Never read any Hinton before! I saw in the intro that she wrote this one when she was only 17 - impressive. What else has she written?

Looks like she's also written:

Rumble Fish

Tex

That Was Then, This is Now

Taming the Star Runner

Hawks Harbor

Tim's Stories

Big David, Little David

The Puppy Sister

I've only read The Outsiders and That Was Then, This is Now, and enjoyed them both immensely! They also made three of her books into films. I hope you enjoy reading her :friends0:.

I'm over halfway through The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby. After reading other people's reviews I thought maybe I should read it in small doses, but I've been happy to read it straight through. It's very good so far, and much funnier than I expected. :friends0:

I'm over halfway through The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby. After reading other people's reviews I thought maybe I should read it in small doses, but I've been happy to read it straight through. It's very good so far, and much funnier than I expected. :friends0:

I read on someone's blog that he has started writing for 'The Believer' again, I'm hoping for a second volume.

100 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire now and its just as good, if not better, than the first book, so far. There is a real sense of a massive interweaving plot being built.

I also noticed that this book is thicker than the first one and looking up at my bookshelf, the third book is even thicker again! Looks like i will be kept busy with reading for the next week or two :friends0:

Finished Obsidian Butterfly - pretty disappointed with it, but I hope it's just a blip, as I already have the next one on the series from the library.

Oh no, don't say that, I'm struggling with it already! I hope it is just a blip :friends0:

Worked my way up to page 100 of The Last Witchfinder this afternoon, which isn't very much I'm afraid! :friends0: I had intended to get lots more reading in this weekend but time just ran. Ran right out the door I tell you!

I finally finished The Anthropology of an American Girl, quite an unusual and exhausting reading experience. My somewhat strange thoughts (I just re-read them, puzzling, but I'll leave them be) about it can be found on my blog. Don't know where to go next.