Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I had to put aside what I was reading to start The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan yesterday as I'm discussing it with my book club on Monday. I read the first 50 pages last night and the rest of the book today - it was a gorgeous read. :D

The book I stopped to finish it for is Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell - I'm about half-way through that, but have a busy three days coming up so I don't know when I'll get time to pick it up again.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read a bit more Wolf Hall (I will finish it one day!) and a couple more chapters of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which is picking up nicely!

I am a few chapters in to Gone With The Wind. I find Scarlet and her attitudes quite amusing. :D

So do I! I'm currently reading Gone with the Wind as well and loving it!

I finished Diary of a Nobody last night. It's not terribly long, and I started it the night before. Very much enjoyed it. I think I'm going to try Wolf Hall again next.

I enjoyed Diary of a Nobody as well though it's a long time ago that i read it :D

I'm about halfway through Birdsong already & so far it's very good. I really like Sebastian Faulks writing style.

I've read a chapter and a half, thus reaching page 58, of The Blue Girl this morning; hoping to get through another two & reach page 99 before going to bed tonight - might this be a mojo I see before me?

I'm almost finished Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett (by my bed), and a few chapters into Triumff by Dan Abnett (in the kitchen) and Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli (in the buggy - in case Xan falls asleep and I get to sit down when we're out and about).

Also just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and just started Alice Through The Looking Glass to follow...

Oh, and in my bag, to read if I get a chance in breaks in my new job, I have When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro - I read the first chapter on the bus on the way home the other night.

Crikey, I didn't realise I had so many on the go at once till I typed them all out here!

Is Unseen Academicals good? I can't wait to get to it! I haven't done any fun reading, just journal reading today. I did write my review of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath too

Is Unseen Academicals good? I can't wait to get to it! I haven't done any fun reading, just journal reading today. I did write my review of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath too

Personally I think Pratchett gets better and better as he continues writing. I can really see the difference in both style and storylines between for example The Colour of Magic and his most recent books. I thought it was fantastic! Along with Night Watch, the Lipwig books and Nation (non-DW) it's one of my favourite of his works!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Triumff Kell, I've picked it up and put it back down in bookshelfs I know not how oft!

It's pretty good so far. I kind of like alternative histories, bt this is unusual in that it's set in 2010 with an alternate history that has ended up with 2010 being very Elizabethan and with magic instead of electrcitiy. It's rather fun so far, but I'm only a few chapters in, so I'll reserve judgement for a while yet...

I am enjoying it, but not as much as I have other recent Discworld novels. Then again, I've never been overly fond of the wizard novels and I'm not a Rincewind fan.

I'm fighting my way through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. I'm not really enjoying it but a friend loaned it to me, so I feel kind of obliged to try and finish it.

I bought a dictionary!!!!

Webster's Third New International Dictionary from a used bookshop!!

IT'S HUGE!!!

But cost me a little around 11$, totally worth it!

Wonderful! You'll have fun with that one! :D

I finished The Blue Afternoon last night, or rather, early this morning. :)

So glad I did, it was an interesting read.

I just received two books in the mail today.

The Book on Fire by Keith Miller

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Yay, me! :D

Almost finished Popco. Extremely disappointed to be honest, wasn't at all what I expected. I'd go so far as to say the blurb on the back is misleading, simply because it references a story that's basically a non-event in a book of tangential memories and accounts of math and code-breaking. I loved the tagents and theories, but the story itself just doesn't happen, so ultimately the book feels quite pointless.