help with the name of a book

:)

when I was younger I borrowed one of my friends books. I am a bit hazy on all the details, but as far as I can remember it had various aids to solving the mystery (in a bit at the back of the book loose but tucked away) including a piece of card that had little squares cut out of it so that you could put it over the top of letters and such and it would reveal a hidden message. The other thing I can vaguely remember was that it would say stuff like " if you think the answer to this is (a) go to page number ...". I know its a long shot but I read it in between the ages of 9-12 which would have been around 1989 onwards. Please can anyone suggest what they might think it is. TIA.

Hi Robocat, I wonder if it is the Usborne puzzle books you are thinking of. They were great for solving mysteries and I know my daughter loved them at around that age and kept her amused for hours:). I can't be more specific with titles but I'm sure if you google Usborn you may be able to find them.

Edit: I have just done a google search and there are lots of Usborne Mystery Adventures on Amazon.

Edited by SueK
UPdate

I'm pretty sure that this was part of a series, and that I read it also. I'm afraid I do not remember what it was called or who it was by though :) if you're very lucky I might still have it at home, I'll have a look later and let you know if I can find anything :(.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at alot of usborne books online, but unless they have a read inside, I can get to look at them. I have gone into book shops in this area, buut can't seem to locate them!

Book Jumper - if you can have a look that would be great!

I have ordered an usborne mystery solver book, just to see if it's that one (only cost 1p plus postage!) So will see if it's that, but I have a funny feeling it's not!

If anyone else has some idea's it would be great to hear from you.

TIA

hiya

Thanks for the link, I have had a look, and I don't think thats the one. But thank you for the input. The book I am thinking of used to have little tools that were seperate from it, like a grid card that you put over writing (letters etc) and then it would show a hidden message in it!

If anyone else knows of any idea's that would be fab. TIA.

hiya

Thanks for the link, I have had a look, and I don't think thats the one. But thank you for the input. The book I am thinking of used to have little tools that were seperate from it, like a grid card that you put over writing (letters etc) and then it would show a hidden message in it!

If anyone else knows of any idea's that would be fab. TIA.

My daughter is coming down this weekend so I will ask her. I know that she had other puzzle books beside Usborne and that grid card bit sort of rings a bell. I'll get back to you on this.

Not really a "book" as such, but are you sure you didn't borrow a Funfax Spy File?

It looked like this and was like a small A3-sized ringbinder, but you could buy lots of little booklets with puzzles/ciphers and little tools to help you crack them to file in it, and one of these might have been what you borrowed. The booklets looked like this. Some of the booklets also had the alternative-route story things you're talking about. Hope it's what you're looking for... I used to have one when I was about 10 and they were great fun! Even collecting the booklets was fun. :friends0:

Edited by Nienna

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies. They have been great. I had checked all out and they aren't the ones however, after much much much hunting on the internet, something hit me like a bolt of lightening. They had dice in with the tools! I typed that in and it came up with the Famous five adventure game books. They were the book, the the kit aids and that al came in a plastic wallet. There were 8 in that style of book, so I have managed to track them down. I have ordered 5 already!! I am just awaiting the last three to be verified that they are complete. I am also hoping that the 5 I ordered are complete, the lady assured me they were, but it's still making me nervous!! If you don't have the kit there, it renders the book pretty useless!!

Thank you all very much for your help :friends0: