Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually using a real bookmark! It's from a publishing company and I got it in an Amazon shipment about 5 years ago. Otherwise, it's usually just an old receipt or a scrap of paper.

I never turn down pages on a book. If it's a second-hand book I might leave it face down for a short while (but I don't flatten it down). Otherwise I treat my books very carefully, especially if they're new. I'd like them to last me a long time.

On the subject of bookmarks, I bought a couple of nice ones last year. One is purple and kind of curvy. It has a string of beads attached to the top and has the word 'Faith' on it. It's hard to keep it still in the book though and I've come close to losing it a few times. In fact, I once spent about 5min on the train after everyone else had gotten off flipping seats over and shoving my hand down the side of the seat (eww!) trying to fish it back out from where I dropped it.

I also have another one that is a hooked metal bookmark with a Celtic cross and a bead or two hanging from it. A few days after I got it the cross fell off and I haven't reattached it yet so it's just a metal hook. At the moment though, I'm using a couple of bookmarks that someone gave me which have photos of different Sydney landmarks on them. Currently, it's a photo of the first cars to cross the Harbour Bridge in 1932 - hardly any traffic!

On the subject of bookmarks, I bought a couple of nice ones last year. One is purple and kind of curvy. It has a string of beads attached to the top and has the word 'Faith' on it. It's hard to keep it still in the book though and I've come close to losing it a few times. In fact, I once spent about 5min on the train after everyone else had gotten off flipping seats over and shoving my hand down the side of the seat (eww!) trying to fish it back out from where I dropped it.

Ew, indeed, lol.

This reminds me of my Bible which has a great solution. It's a red ribbon sewn into the binding so you can't lose it.

I wish all books had the convenience of this handy solution.

Where to start! Since I'm new I've read the whole thread!!! It's taken me ages and I have seen so many people's comments that I would like to quote - but now have no idea where they were!!! :hyper:

I've never turned down corners on books, but I do put them down open. I must admit that I like the look of a well read book!!! The books on my shelf that look brand new are the ones that I've not enjoyed or haven't read yet!

I like the idea of using a bookmark - the benefits of being able to find your place instantly, but since I read in bed alot and often fall asleep over it, I rarely seem to have the bookmark in and then I lose it down the side of the settee or something when I am reading downstairs or something!

I have just been given an extraordinarily beautiful book mark by my sister. It is made of metal, with a hook at one end attached to a triangle which has a beautiful swirly design, on top of which there is another jade-coloured triangle .

And I fell asleep while reading, and managed to break off the triangle. Fixed it with glue, but i don't have high hopes! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I use bookmarks. If I loaned someone a book and it came back with turned down pages I wouldn't be pleased (to put it mildly). I'm very careful with my books, trying not to put creases down the spine or on the cover, so I would never fold down the pages. I have loads of bookmarks to use :D

• 2 months later...