Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

I usually use anything that's lying around (often a used bus ticket). However, my friend owns a bookshop and was given a sample of something called a 'book thong'. She gave it to me. It's an alternative to a book mark: a thin string with beads on either end - I wouldn't have bought one, but do like it.

Kerri

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually use anything that's lying around (often a used bus ticket). However, my friend owns a bookshop and was given a sample of something called a 'book thong'. She gave it to me. It's an alternative to a book mark: a thin string with beads on either end - I wouldn't have bought one, but do like it.

Kerri

Glad you brought that up - kept meaning to ask if anyone had one. I bought a nice one from Llangollen craft centre but couldn't work out exactly how it works - had to give up with it in the end.

• 1 month later...

I have been doing something extremely bad since I have had Katie. I've been reading my book while feeding her, then just leaving it face down on the page on the armchair in the bedroom. It makes life easier than trying to mess with bookmarks with a baby.

I would never bend down the corner of a page in a book....and i use a lovely bookmark that my friend got me

I won't buy a book or magazine if it has a crease in it. I like my publications to look good as new. However if anything does happen I then resign myself to them having a lived in look - this happens a lot to books that I take on holiday.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree whole heartidly that books need and deserve to be loved, and as a result look loved. If a book looks new to me then I feel like it hasn't acheived it's destiny, it needs to be read and bent and held and carried around - it needs to live! Lived things get crinkled around the edges!! I hate having beautifully kept books, it makes me feel sad, I'd much rather the spine was cracked and the pages rumpled; I can feel the satisfaction of the book that it has been read and truely enjoyed!! :D ...just think of the days when you have truely lived and enjoyed yourself, did your hair stay perfect - I think not!!...

I totally agree with you thats how all the books I truly enjoyed looks like

As a very tentative enquiry, would anyone be interested in paying a small amount for a Book Forum bookmark? I have considered it in the past, but I have to buy quite a few, and I need to know I could get back at least some of the money.

For me, no.

However, I would buy one if the forum was in need of support.

Does that make sense?

I have loads of book marks but cannot find them when i need them so tend to use bits of paper or post its with words on to look up or books to read, they are good if you are travelling as they are sticky as you cannot lose your page!!

I have a nice one of mill cats from the Hockney gallery.

I used to be alot more precious about my books until my step mum died then i thought life is too short, i was being careful with a book when i was in hospital with my stepmum, i had a book nearly read like new in a dust bag in my bag and i thought sod it!!! Life is too short to get upset over a book.

However i still will not lend my SIL any books as she destroys them and i cannot bend back corners or put them face down

or put them face down

I did this with the Vampire's Seduction out of quickness while feeding Katie, but I promis to be careful with Karma. It is Purple Poppy's book. It still looked brand new when it arrived on my doorstep so I'm being extra careful with it, especially when handling the baby.:D

Use bookmarks ALL the time.

One of the bookstores puts one of their bookmarks in every book you buy from them - I have a huge collection of them now so there's NO excuse for dog-earing a book or laying it down open and flat.

I don't lend them out so I don't have to worry about how other people are going to treat my books.

/a pox on those who mistreat their books

Bookmarks for me too. I never dog-ear a page! :blush: My library usually has a stack of free bookmarks - though they haven't done that in a while.

A while ago, I was looking for a metal bookmark (or hookmark, I think they are called). There are some very nice looking ones out there, but they are so expensive. Maybe some day I'll get around to getting one. :D

I have a couple of bookmarks, here they are...:D

Bookmark1.jpg

I have had this bookmark for years and I won't part with it, I have lost count how many times I have repaired it.

Bookmark2.jpg

This is the lovely bookmark that Purple Poppy made me, which I really love because it is so me.

Silverbookmark.jpg

This one was a present from my best friend for my 30th Birthday, its so pretty, I don't like using it, I just keep it in the box. It has my name on it, but I don't think you can see in the photo.

:blush: