Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fold over the page.......I know I know you don't have to tell me:irked:

You do *what* ???!! I cannot believe this?? That is a cardinal sin dogmatix and, Louise, is it? I believe you're guilty too? Tsk, Tsk. Shame on you both! :readingtwo:

I have collected bookmarks for years so now have a wonderful choice

ranging from paper to leather to metal. (My oldest bookmark is 23 years of age).

I recently bought Metal Petals as I like to mark out interesting passages when I read them so I can either re-read them or copy them into my Quote Book at a later date. Sad, I know, but hey. . .that's my life. :)

What are metal petals? Two people have mentioned them and I'm curious!
They come in all different shapes - i used to have pointy ones shaped like arrow heads. In a way, they're a bit like paper clips, in that they're shaped metal that has a hole in the middle with another bit of metal coming down the way, so that you can slipthem onto the page at the appropriate place.

I have a bookmark which I bought in Belfast, actually on the day I was leaving to return to Glasgow. Its five years old now and a bit worse for wear but I still use it, its covered with sellotape and various pictures. My friend bought me a beautiful silver bookmark with my name on it, but it is so nice, I don't like using it, I keep it in its box...

:readingtwo:

My friend bought me a beautiful silver bookmark with my name on it, but it is so nice, I don't like using it, I keep it in its box...

:readingtwo:

I'm like that with things sometimes. I have a lovely pen my nan gave me a few years ago - it's still in its case.

I'm like that with mugs, as well. If they look pretty then they go on the bookshelf to be looked at and to gather dust.

:readingtwo: I didn't realise that Gerard Butler was in 'Phantom of the opera', then I read KW's post and everything fell into the place, so thanks KW!

I think I miss bookmarks the most...there's this icon on the bottom of the Palm pilot screen that looks like a page with the corner turned and I press it to save the page.
The Palm Pilot encourages page-folding????? AAaarrgghh! :readingtwo: Now, I would prefer a pretty bookmark icon, that way I wouldn't have to feel guilty (because, strangely, I would, if I had to click an icon for folding the corner down...)

The Palm Pilot encourages page-folding????? AAaarrgghh! :readingtwo: Now, I would prefer a pretty bookmark icon, that way I wouldn't have to feel guilty (because, strangely, I would, if I had to click an icon for folding the corner down...)

I know! It's like thumbing their nose at bibliophiles...but the the straw that breaks the camel's back may be google. Much as I love e-books, it's kind of sad. I lost a Tower Records recently that was fun to browse and maybe the library's next:

The Sunday Times

January 21, 2007

Google plots e-books coup

Dominic Rushe

GOOGLE and some of the world’s top publishers are working on plans that they hope could do for books what Apple’s iPod has done for music...

Ben Vershbow of the Institute for the Future of the Book, a US think-tank, said: “Google seems to be simultaneously petting the industry and saying everything is going to be all right if they just let everything go, but at the same time telling them: ‘We have you guys up against the wall’.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-2557728,00.html

trans.gifBut you're right Purple Poppy, it might be difficult to create bookmark that was very recognizable.

A lot of good things do. Its like the saying, the simple things are the best!:readingtwo:

If you read one of Stuart McBride's books, Kell or I will send you a postcard of Aberdeen!

True - perfect excuse for us to foist McBride on another willing vicitm, Nicky - we can heartily recommend him and you'd get a nice little flurry of postcards from us in the Frozen North!

True - perfect excuse for us to foist McBride on another willing vicitm, Nicky - we can heartily recommend him and you'd get a nice little flurry of postcards from us in the Frozen North!

Tempting :readingtwo:, what is the book you'd recommend to start with?

Start with the 1st one - Cold Granite, then follow it up with the 2nd, Dying Light. He's only written the 2 so far & I'm ddesperately waiting for another!