Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

I bend the corner and if it's a discussion and the book isn't Gutenberg Project text where I can copy and paste into Excel or Word and make notes, I write in the book. Even my Palm pilot ebooks indicate that the corner is turned down when I bookmark. Sometimes I leave it open, which isn't good for the binding or just remember the page number.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book prudes, the lot of you!

I'm a devout corner-turner and spine bender. In fact, the first thing I do with a new book is flip to the middle and bend the spine riiiiight back. Personally, the book is just the medium, and I tend to let mine get 'lived' in very quickly, leaving them battered, written in (including impromptu shopping lists across pages) and generally loved to death.

Bookmarks are just another way of the system getting you to spend your money. Viva la revolucion, etc...[/Quote]

Feel better now, I'm a destroyer, none of you would want to have my books after me.

Do look after lends though!

I bend the corner and if it's a discussion and the book isn't Gutenberg Project text where I can copy and paste into Excel or Word and make notes, I write in the book. Even my Palm pilot ebooks indicate that the corner is turned down when I bookmark. Sometimes I leave it open, which isn't good for the binding or just remember the page number.

Someone pass the Valium, please?

:D (I wanted a smilie showing I had the shakes, this is the closest I can find at short notice!)

I generally try and roughly remember where I was in the book..I don't like using bookmarks as they always fall out onto the floor (especially when you're standing up commuting and land in a puddle or something) or get lost in the bedclothes when reading at night!

Ohhhh...I hate it when people turn pages down...:D

I use a bookmark. I can not stand it when I start with a brand new book and it doesn't look brand new when I finish. Just the thought of bending down the corner of a page makes me feel a bit sick! I could probably be considered a bit obsessive compulsive about books. My little sister borrows my books a lot and she always seems to do something to them. Whether it's getting food on the cover or breaking the spine. And I just cringe when I see her lay a book down spread open. It's silly of me but I just can't help it!

I agree whole heartidly that books need and deserve to be loved, and as a result look loved. If a book looks new to me then I feel like it hasn't acheived it's destiny, it needs to be read and bent and held and carried around - it needs to live! Lived things get crinkled around the edges!! I hate having beautifully kept books, it makes me feel sad, I'd much rather the spine was cracked and the pages rumpled; I can feel the satisfaction of the book that it has been read and truely enjoyed!! :D ...just think of the days when you have truely lived and enjoyed yourself, did your hair stay perfect - I think not!!...

• 2 months later...

At the moment I'm using a gift tag from last year's Mother's Day present from my daughter. It's flower shaped - bright pink and yellow (won't lose that will I?). I do have a proper bookmark - lace from Venice (holiday present from parents) but haven't seen it for a while - may be it's in a book I've abandoned . . .

I have a metal 'J' which hooks over the top of the page, bought for me as a present, but... I hate it, because it damages the pages!

I've got several bookmarks on the go. One is a laminated picture of my children, one is a Christmas card that was pretty, one is a 'business card' from a hotel I stayed in... I normally use something random like that, because I'm forever losing them! :readingtwo:

At the moment I am using a metal 'horse' bookmark that i bought for myself in Colmar. But usually its a receipt or beermat or anything else i can get my hands on. I like my horse one cos' it looks pretty on the outside of the book (I know I'm a sad cow!)

I have a variety of "proper" bookmarks that I use at home, including a set of Kelley Armstrong ones (a gift from a very good buddy) and a beautiful knot-work one from another friend. In my "portable" paperbacks, though, I use those little removeable sticky index tabs, as i'm able to stick them exactly where I finish on the page and they don't fall out in my bag - very handy!