Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

I have a huge collecton of bookmarks. I just can't resist them, although I guess at any one time there are only half a dozen in use. But it annoys me to see pages turned down at the corners. What do others do about keeping the page marked?

Oh dear.... I have thought about this question - and quite honestly - if I have borrowed the book from the library or from a friend - I will treat it with the utmost care - cherish it almost, as I like my books to receive the same treatment when I lend a book.

However, after saying that, if it is a paperback - for holiday - say for instance, and I am at the beach (in the pool on a lilo) then I am afraid that If I am really into the book and cannot put it down for long - the corners do get turned down. *sigh*

My hardback books are all still in their prime condition, loving stored in a bookcase, but some of the others (only paperbacks) are dog-eared and are what I call, well loved after several reads. Sorry to admit this.

I guess I just get too involved and if I am doing the housework, with a book in hand:tong: its not always possible!

I always start off with such good intentions, and have lots of bookmarks scattererd around - but.....

you know what they say about good intentions..:D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dozens of bookmarks, :D but I never usually know where most of them are, ;) so I just use a bit of paper or a random receipt or a tag or something!:(

Same here!!

It's a real pet hate of mine to see pages turned down in a book. I'm really particular with my books and don't even break the spines when reading them. They all sit on my shelf with not a mark on them, looking as if they've never been read. I know, I'm too fussy :D It really rags me when people borrow a book from me and it comes back all creased and dog eared - or worse still doesn't come back at all!

For my Harry Potter books i have one of those wizard moving cards (which you have to tilt back and forwards to make it move) which i got with a chocoalte frog easter egg years ago!!!!

Other than that i have some nice images of buddhas or pics from cards which i have turned into book marks as my book marks do tend to get a bit battered too.

I hate it when I get library books where pages have been turned down, or even worse, someone has written comments etc. in them.

I'm going to have to make a confession, guys.

I do sometimes annotate certain books which I am studying for English. :D

I know this a pretty poor excuse, but I do go out and look for the shabbiest copy of the book I can find in a second-hand shop and use that for studying. Sometimes it is just a lot easier to annotate the book rather than write out great paragraphs of the text. That's no excuse, though, I know. :D

Always use a book mark.

When i studied English many moons ago, i had to make notes in my books - it was awful, my stomach sank when i had to underline stuff and write in the margins. I still feel guilty now I am thinking about it!!!!

It completely depends on the book.

I don't dogear pages or write in library books of course, and even with most of my own books I prefer to use bookmarks.

I should have stacks of them but I always seem to lose them, which also brings me to my next problem.

When I'm (re-)reading one of my own paperbacks (I do bend the spine, just because that makes it easier to read xd) and I have to put the book away I try to find a bookmark, otherwise I just turn the page or even worse flip it over and lay it down like that. :D

With my hardcovers I always use bookmarks though, they're too expensive to replace hrhr.

Worldviewestates said

When i studied English many moons ago, i had to make notes in my books - it was awful, my stomach sank when i had to underline stuff and write in the margins. I still feel guilty now I am thinking about it!!!!

Me too!

Also I had to cut out the illustrations in some of my art books once (can't remeber why, but it was in the days before the internet). So I went out and got the cheapest art books I could find, but it still broke my heart!!

Pp

When I received Karma there was a handy little bookmark in the form of a note from Kell. I didn't need to look for a bookmark, but could start straight away. Thanks Kell.

I am now using a bookmark I got in church on Sunday with the three buildings (on one side) and names (on the other side), the church has inhabited over the years.

I treated PPs Karma with the utmost care, and this taught me how to read a book without cracking the spin. Being a task previously alien to me, I started to do it out of habit with The Vanishing Act... , however I have cracked the spine just a little bit, as Katie is being fussy lately and I keep leaving the bookmark places or just have to put the book down quickly..

When I received Karma there was a handy little bookmark in the form of a note from Kell. I didn't need to look for a bookmark, but could start straight away.

And when I received it there was a little note from Icecream which I'm using as a bookmark :D

Guest fireball
Use bookmarks ALL the time.

One of the bookstores puts one of their bookmarks in every book you buy from them - I have a huge collection of them now so there's NO excuse for dog-earing a book or laying it down open and flat.

I don't lend them out so I don't have to worry about how other people are going to treat my books.

/a pox on those who mistreat their books

Damn my eyes! you get around old girl eh,? and I agree entirely and a double pox and anything else going.

It's a trusim : do right by books and they'll do right by you. I've books since I was sprog and you'd think I'd just bought 'em.

I have a huge collecton of bookmarks. I just can't resist them, although I guess at any one time there are only half a dozen in use. But it annoys me to see pages turned down at the corners. What do others do about keeping the page marked?

I use postcards and bookmarks. I really hate it when books that have been abused by having their pages turned over - poor little books I just want to give them a hug to make them feel better ;)

Hoo Roo

Sally

Guest fireball

I wouldn't go around saying THAT to loudly round here newwriter19, 08.gif try using used envelope or a piece cardbord from a tissue box even a sweet wrapper (non sticky kind), anything but bending pages down.! fear-1.gif There's always something somewhere. ;):)

One of the reasons I gave up going to the library, was of peoples lack of respect for books.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a confirmed page folder! On the odd occasion that I do use a scrap of paper as a bookmark it usually ends up being used to write shopping lists/phone numbers on so doesn't last very long.

There are few things nicer than picking up an old, well used and slightly tatty book. You can't beat the smell and feel of a thoroughly 'lived in' novel. It has history, it's travelled, it's been enjoyed by many people before, it's seen many places and every mark or crease adds to the richness of the experience of reading it.

I find it strangely comforting to be absorbed by a good book, knowing that numerous strangers/friends have enjoyed the same journey through the book as I have, knowing the places they have stopped reading, the parts they have re-read.

As a physical entity, a well worn book can be as interesting as the words written on it's pages! Folded corners and all..

Regards,

Lee.

I am a confirmed page folder! On the odd occasion that I do use a scrap of paper as a bookmark it usually ends up being used to write shopping lists/phone numbers on so doesn't last very long.

There are few things nicer than picking up an old, well used and slightly tatty book. You can't beat the smell and feel of a thoroughly 'lived in' novel. It has history, it's travelled, it's been enjoyed by many people before, it's seen many places and every mark or crease adds to the richness of the experience of reading it.

I find it strangely comforting to be absorbed by a good book, knowing that numerous strangers/friends have enjoyed the same journey through the book as I have, knowing the places they have stopped reading, the parts they have re-read.

As a physical entity, a well worn book can be as interesting as the words written on it's pages! Folded corners and all..

Regards,

Lee.

Here Here!!!

And a great big welcome to the forum Lee!! I share your view point to the last fullstop! I'll stand with you when the pies are flung in five...four...three...two...one...