Bookmarks or turned down pages or...?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too hate to see dog earred pages.../shiver/ I have many book marks, and lots of free ones that Amazon sends with books (adverts of course) and then a bunch from the second hand book store.

(cover your ears) I turn down the corners or use the dustcover if need be!! - gasp -

:):D I can almost forgive you the dustjacket - I have been known to do that on a slim hard back, but...but...but...fold down the corners? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I would never turn down the corners of a book. :D

I have lots of bookmarks but tend to stick with just one for a long time. The one I am using at the moment is a bit tatty and the top is missing but it works well for me. It will probably need to disintegrate before I stop using it.

They're like pens and pencils, and socks in the wash, and a pair of scissors when you need one! You know there's loads of them within spitting distance, but they just melt away into thin air.

I have to say that occasionally I too have turned the dust jacket into the book, :D but very rarely. No wonder people are finding bus tickets and receipts in their library books, but careful folks, its too dicey to leave receipts with personal info on these days. We should maybe stick to bookmarks, even just print off the ones from this forum that Kell produced.

Alternatively, I am willing to part with some of mine....name a town in uk...I've probably got it!!:)

Susanna :)

ha ha ha bacon rind

i never turn down corners and have now trained anybody who reads my books not to do it either. i never leave books face down and open either

as to bookmarks, i have one that i've been using for about ten years (talk about obsessive), but it's one of those marvellous magnetic ones so it never gets lost

i'm horribly geeky, and I use a colored notecards, put the title up on the top, the date started on the next line, and then the pages i ended on each night before bed, and then on the very last line, the date finished. that's my bookmark. and then to add to that extreme geekiness, I put the bookmarks/cards in a card container alphabetically.

buuuuut. as geeky as i am.... i have never turned down a corner of a book page. atleast not for a really long time.

Hi Everydayxangels, I don't believe I have welcomed you to the board as I was away at the time. Welcome and enjoy.

I don't think it's geeky but it reminds me of my kids bringing their reading books home from school. Every night we would listen to them read and then write down how far they had got, and sign it.

I think you are just very efficient and like to keep tabs on things (sorry...no pun intended). I just write down the name of the finished book (and author) in a book I keep for the purpose.

Susanna

:D

I never turn down the corners. Always use a bookmark/bookstring and encourage my boys to do so too, but buying them different ones when I buy them a book as a pressie. Also annoys me when I see hubby putting his book facedown:irked: instead of putting his bookmark in it (which is usually at the side of it):) . Love the bookstrings a bookcrosser in Canada sent me when I swapped books with her and use them a lot.

Good thread this PP :D

Turn down the corner of a page? I could never do that to a book. I have quite a few bookmarks - those arty ones that you get from art picture shops and also the black & white pictured ones. However, I never use them. I end up sticking them to my walls with Blu-Tack. For a bookmark I use a folded over yellow Post-It note. I've had it for about 18 months, so it's looking a bit dog-eared.

i'm horribly geeky, and I use a colored notecards, put the title up on the top, the date started on the next line, and then the pages i ended on each night before bed, and then on the very last line, the date finished. that's my bookmark. and then to add to that extreme geekiness, I put the bookmarks/cards in a card container alphabetically.
I keep a card index full of the books I've read in alphabetical order with all the info (ISBN, publisher, date published, No of pages, where I got it, etc) & then when I'm done with the book, i rate it & whop it in the right place. I'm so pleased I'm not the only one that does this kind of thing - LOL!

I don't use them as bookmarks, right enough, but it does help me keep track of what i read, when I read it & what i thought of it, as well as whether or not I still have the book.

I have tried in the past to keep diaries, real ones or reading ones, but I end up getting behind and forgetting to add things. I now have an msn space created with a couple of friends and we all put the details of our reads on there. I list the title, author, a rating and the date I finished it. As I tend to only read one book at a time, and then as soon as I have finished one I start the next the end date is really the only one I need to keep.

Of course, this years version of this info is now in my book blog on here as well, and I quite often add comments about the books as well, so I am getting better!

Book prudes, the lot of you!

I'm a devout corner-turner and spine bender. In fact, the first thing I do with a new book is flip to the middle and bend the spine riiiiight back. Personally, the book is just the medium, and I tend to let mine get 'lived' in very quickly, leaving them battered, written in (including impromptu shopping lists across pages) and generally loved to death.

Bookmarks are just another way of the system getting you to spend your money. Viva la revolucion, etc...