Looking for spine-tingling horror

I do like the good horror book once in awhile, but the gory ones I tend to steer clear of. I like a creepy, what's around the next dusty corner type of read.

Here are a few examples of the type of book I am looking for:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Thanks for the suggestion, Bookjumper. :)

It's a bit difficult to locate, and might not be your cup of tea, but by far the creepiest factual (possibly) book I've read is The Uninvited by Clive Harold. Written in the 70's, a farming family in Wales are the focus of extraterrestrial contact. I slept with the light on for a week after reading it :)

Although I am not a big horror fan, well of the blood and gore type I do like a supernatural or elements of supernatural thriller so I would recommend John Connolly, both his Charlie Parker and his stand alone books.

Have you tried H. P. Lovecraft?

I do have a book of his short stories on my shelf that I have not read yet. However, if they have something else of his at the local bookstore I might pick it up.

Thank you for suggestion. :)

It's a bit difficult to locate, and might not be your cup of tea, but by far the creepiest factual (possibly) book I've read is The Uninvited by Clive Harold. Written in the 70's, a farming family in Wales are the focus of extraterrestrial contact. I slept with the light on for a week after reading it :(

That sounds very interesting. I will look for it when I go on my browsing spree. :)

Thank you.

I just remembered that my local bookstore is called "Poe House Books". It seems appropriate if I will be browsing through the horror section. :(

Although I am not a big horror fan, well of the blood and gore type I do like a supernatural or elements of supernatural thriller so I would recommend John Connolly, both his Charlie Parker and his stand alone books.

I am really not a huge fan of horror, either. I did enjoy John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things. Another author I will keep in mind. Thank you! :)

I find that it is always advisable to jump back a century or two if one wants to find creepy stories un-marred by needless, in-your-face gore :D my own personal favourite is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or, The Modern Prometheus - simultaneously chilling and beautiful, scary and sad, everybody should read this methinks.

ETA: you're welcome :)!

Thank you, bookjumper. Excellent suggestion, and one I will read some day, as it is already on my TBR pile, along with Dracula by Bram Stoker and the works of Edgar Allen Poe. :)

I think with me it's a pretty sure bet that if it's a classic, I already have it. :D

• 1 year later...

OK, it may be more in the fantasy side of things other than horror, it don't remember it being too gory, but Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist was really good.

Also, I enjoyed Haunted and The Ghosts of Sleath, again, not too gory, if they had been I would never have been able to finish them :D

• 3 weeks later...