Browsing for another

Hi, im trying to find a book for my sister, she spends a fair amount of time on public transport and wants something to past the time. I figured this would be a good chance to get her to start reading more.

She not a very big reader (i use to read to her actually....) but i've recently found out she enjoys stories based on the Greek/Egyptian myths. Im not really interested in these topics of fiction so im not much help ehehe.....

Seeing as she's not a very big reader im guessing young adult books might be a good start, but any recommendation would be appreciated :D

Thanks~!

One of my favorite stories set in Egypt is Aida by Leontyne Price. It is also a famous Broadway musical, which is the original format in which I heard the story.

Aida is about an enslaved princess from Ethiopia and an Egyptian general. The story is very beautiful and powerful and I would recommend it to anyone looking to read something set in Egypt. :D It may not be what you are looking for because it is directed towards a younger age range, though.

Hope you find what you're looking for for your sister.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Aida/Leontyne-Price/e/9780152015466/?itm=6&USRI=leontyne+price

Otherwise, have you looked into any of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books by Ann Brashares? They're partially set in Greece and aimed at a Young Adult audience.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=sisterhood+of+the+traveling+pants+series

Edited by CaliLily

If she's one of the unlucky people who can't read while travelling (like me), audio books are fantastic. :D

Ah i hadnt thought of that, i dont think shes too bad but ill keep that in mind, thanks.

And CaliLily, i think ive heard of the play Aida so ill check that out thanks. I think the young adult books would be a good way to start but ill see what she says.

Thank you~!

When I was about 12, I read The Iliad and The Odyssey in prose translation and they were wonderful. My recommendation is to get the revised translations by E. V. Rieu (Penguin Classics) as these are geared more towards young adults using modern English. In fact, they are going on my TBR pile again for a reread :D