3D Cinema and TV

Raven

3D movies have been with us for a while now; from films that have had 3D versions created after the 2D process has been completed, like Clash of the Titans, to specially filmed 3D epics such as Avatar.

TV manufacturers - no doubt keen to keep sales levels up following the switch to digital - are now starting to push 3D as the next big thing, so it's looking like 3D is finally here to stay.

My question is, does anyone really want it?

Do you think 3D adds or detracts from films, is it just a gimmick? Is it something you would want at home?

(I was going to slap a poll on this, but I'm not sure what questions I would ask!).

I think it's a bit of a gimmick, and I certainly won't be rushing out to buy a 3D TV. If I ever get one it would be because they had taken over and nothing else was available.

I've seen one or two 3D movies and while it's a novelty, I would just as happily watch the same movies in 2D.

I'm not sure how it's going to catch on. It's being pushed so hard though that people will inevitably jump on board. It's hard to predict what will happen in the future.

I agree with Kylie, I think it is a gimmick, it always has been and I hope it stays that way, I don't see anything wrong with 2D, I sure hope 3D never dominates 2D.

I don't really care for it and I remember the sega master system 3D glasses adapter and games, I have them still, and that never really worked that well imo.

Not long ago channel 4 (I think?) did the 3D shows, where you could get free glasses from sainsburys; well I went and got my glasses and was quite annoyed because it just didn't work for me. Maybe my non-perfect eyesight was to blame or the telly or a mixture of the two. But I got quite excited to watch Frankenstein in 3D only to find out the glasses didn't help and I got a headache, so sadly it wasn't a fun experience for me in the end.

Do people with not brilliant eyesight enjoy 3D?

I am often put off going to the cinema to see a 3D film incase I waste my money finding out I can't see the 3D and have to watch a 3D altered film for hours so the thought of having it at home doesn't really interest me at present.

It is another way to make money, we will all have to buy 3D glasses to watch certain channels/programmes/ films or whatever.

Both me and my BF have bad eyesight, so never bother with 3D in the cinema, and would never buy a 3D tv unless there was absolutely no other choice. Just imagine having to wear 3D glasses everytime you wanted to watch something, it's ridiculous!

Both me and my BF have bad eyesight, so never bother with 3D in the cinema, and would never buy a 3D tv unless there was absolutely no other choice. Just imagine having to wear 3D glasses everytime you wanted to watch something, it's ridiculous!

They are already developing 3DTV's that dont require you to wear glasses to watch it.

As I said, it will be the norm in 10 years.

They are already developing 3DTV's that dont require you to wear glasses to watch it.

As I said, it will be the norm in 10 years.

How do you not have to wear glasses? I suppose that would make it a lot better, but I'm still not interested :D

How do you not have to wear glasses? I suppose that would make it a lot better, but I'm still not interested :D

Its all to do with the speed in which the 3d image is shot/displayed I think.

Mitsubishi shows off 3D TV technology: no glasses needed

You can kind of see it working on a stereogram -

dino.gif

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

If thats the case, I am a little intrigued now, the glasses are just a pain in the ass!

Is HDTV classed as the norm now? I don't even have that yet.

If you are in the market for a brand new 'main' TV from somewhere like Comet I think you would be hard pressed to buy one that isnt HD ready these days. So yes I think it is the norm, as 3DTV will be. It's just the next thing.

I can only mention 3D films, as I saw a few last year. First of all, it is MUCH different to the old 3D, where you had glasses with red one side and green (I think) the other. It works really well, and is comfortable to watch.

I don't think it adds much to general films, but it's rather cool with animated ones.. I watched G-Force with my kids, and the computer generated effects were really good in 3D. :D

My eye sight isn't great, but I did fine. The 3D glasses went over my own, and were quite comfortable. My 6 year old wasn't so keen however, as they were too big, and kept slipping off!

However, I'm not sure I want or need it on my TV at home.

That picture just makes me feel queasy - last 3D movie I went to I had to leave because I thought I would throw up in the cinema. Plus it's so awkward wearing 3D glasses when you already wear glasses in the first place :D Also, if you have astigmatism it can affect the way 3D pictures are received so I'm :D either way!

Its all to do with the speed in which the 3d image is shot/displayed I think.

Mitsubishi shows off 3D TV technology: no glasses needed

You can kind of see it working on a stereogram -

Plus it's so awkward wearing 3D glasses when you already wear glasses in the first place :D Also, if you have astigmatism it can affect the way 3D pictures are received so I'm :D either way!

Hmm, as I said above, I had no problems with my own glasses and the 3D ones. And I have astigmatism as well. :D

Hmm, as I said above, I had no problems with my own glasses and the 3D ones. And I have astigmatism as well. :D

It may well be that it's not the same experience for everyone, I have friends who have astigmatism and can watch 3D with no problems but my best friend & I can't, the only time she tried to watch a 3D film (Avatar) she had to leave after 10 minutes.

I've never seen a 3d film, but I tried on the glasses my son wore when he went to see Avatar and they were rubbish over my own glasses - they wouldn't stay on the bridge of my nose and I couldn't get them to be comfortable on my ears over my normal glasses - and they're thin wire ones.

I hope that TV doesn't become all like the picture SKM linked - that makes me feel sick!

Maybe my non-perfect eyesight was to blame or the telly or a mixture of the two.

I wonder if my bad eyesight has played a role with me being less than impressed with 3D. I have glasses now though, so it would be interesting to try again.

Also, if you have astigmatism it can affect the way 3D pictures are received so I'm :lol: either way!

Maybe that's my problem. My brother can't view 3D either because of bad eyesight.

Ive always had a bit of a dislike for red and blue 3d but gotta say tried one of the new ones the other day and wow it makes it a bit darker but at least it doesn't give you a headache

so yeah i really would love the new 3d in my home but not the old :lol:

Personally I think it will eventually become the norm but im not yet convinced that's a good thing, it still seems very gimmicky for now. As for HDTV being standard that is far from true, the vast majority of people will have HDTV *ready* tv's with no HD input. The only device we have that is HD is the xbox360, no HD tv input though. I think it will be a few more years till HD is the norm.

I've never seen a film in 3D before either although I did buy the fourth Final Destination film on DVD recently which has both versions of the film in it. I haven't actually watched it yet, but when I do I'll probably watch the 3D version so I will let you know what I think of it then.

The 3D glasses were not the best when my husband and I went to see 'Clash of the titans', since then, they have better ones that you can buy :D

I went to see Avatar in 3D. I put the 3D glasses on over my own specs and spent the whole movie with my finger on the bridge of the 3D glasses cos they wouldn't stay on :D:(

I just bought a new Sony blu-ray player and noticed that many of them are now '3D ready'. Couldn't see the point at the moment until/unless it becomes the norm. So it was great for my pocket cos the only one that didn't have 3D was under

I went to see Avatar in 3D. I put the 3D glasses on over my own specs and spent the whole movie with my finger on the bridge of the 3D glasses cos they wouldn't stay on :D:(

I just bought a new Sony blu-ray player and noticed that many of them are now '3D ready'. Couldn't see the point at the moment until/unless it becomes the norm. So it was great for my pocket cos the only one that didn't have 3D was under