Afternoon

SandMan

Greetings, I'm SandMan and (unsurprisingly) I love to read. I'll pretty much read anything that I can get my hands on - I've just finished reading Dracula, I'm a fan of Chekhov, Orwell, Lovecraft, and Neil Gaiman (hence my handle) to list a few, but my all time favourite author is Haruki Murakami (I own practically all of his works that have been translated into english). Aside from books, I love independent films, tea and tobacco. In fact, I'm just going to make a fresh pot and enjoy a roll up before making a start on Crime and Punishment. Nice to meet you, to meet you nice.

Welcome, SandMan! I'm a big fan of indie films too so we'll need to discuss :D.

Oh and you're in plenty of good company as a Murakami fan! Lots of those around here as well.

Hello there SandMan, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll settle in fine here.

Just out of interest what is your opinion on Dracula? I'm reading The Historian at present and I've heard if you read Dracula after then they fit together nicely. Just wondering your opinion on it because it'll probably be what I read next. Anyway, welcome once again, I'm sure you'll find yourself immersed by the discussion quite quickly.

Hello there SandMan, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll settle in fine here.

Just out of interest what is your opinion on Dracula? I'm reading The Historian at present and I've heard if you read Dracula after then they fit together nicely. Just wondering your opinion on it because it'll probably be what I read next. Anyway, welcome once again, I'm sure you'll find yourself immersed by the discussion quite quickly.

I've had the pleasure of reading the Historian, and yes, the two in my mind work well together, although I found the Historian to be a little less swash-buckling in tone, but then again the Historian compensates with a more reflective style. Dracula was an immense delight to read, one of those books you can settle down with, only to discover an hour has gone by and your undrunk hot cup of tea has turned cold! I think you'll really enjoy Dracula, you might get a little bit impatient with it to begin with after Jonathan Harker's initial diary entries, as I did, but trust me, Stoker's working up to something rewarding!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes everyone! :D

I've had the pleasure of reading the Historian, and yes, the two in my mind work well together, although I found the Historian to be a little less swash-buckling in tone, but then again the Historian compensates with a more reflective style. Dracula was an immense delight to read, one of those books you can settle down with, only to discover an hour has gone by and your undrunk hot cup of tea has turned cold! I think you'll really enjoy Dracula, you might get a little bit impatient with it to begin with after Jonathan Harker's initial diary entries, as I did, but trust me, Stoker's working up to something rewarding!

Well you have certainly given it a glowing recommendation which makes me want to read it all the more. I think I'll read it after The Historian when I manage to get chance. Once again, hope you're settling in okay. Hope to see you around in the discussions.