Went into a book shop and didn't buy anything, can you do that?!

Inver

Definitely not. Last time I visited a bookshop, I went in with the intention of picking up only one book (Hitch Hiker's). I left with:

Complete Hitch Hiker's - Douglas Adams

Once - James Herbert

3 of the Dark Tower graphic novels - Stephen King

Marley and Me - John Grogan

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Other Hand - Chris Cleave

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

- and a few others.

I will always find something I want to read, and as soon as I see it I have to buy it.

I was in Waterstone's yesterday with a friend who had to get her next read for her bookclub and inevitably she had to go with the 3 for 2 offer. I managed to restrain myself and hopefuly she may pass them on to me for a read anyway..lol

Sometimes I go into a bookshop wanting to buy somethin, then I browse for hours and can't find a book worth buying that moment ang leave without a purchase. This gets me into quite a bad mood. But if I really liked to buy one, and nothing "jumps at me", I sadly leave wothout a new book.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 conditions under which this is a possibility for me;

1. I have no money, in which case I can't buy a book, I therefore never set foot in a book selling establishment unless I have money to buy with.

2. The shop in question is Waterstones or any other large chain bookshop (not that many are left) with a billion books. In this situation I become so spoiled for choice as to what book(s) to buy that I don't know where to begin and my head starts to feel like implosion is imminent and I have to leave before I collapse to the floor in an indecisive puddle!

Edited by my-sweetheart-is-drunk

I can, and often do, go into a bookshop and not buy anything.

If I am looking for a book to read then I will generally always find something, but if I am just browsing I don't like to buy doubtful books as then they just end up on my shelf and I never read them as there is always something more interesting still to be read.

But I really like browsing and occasionally coming across something unexpected and really interesting.

Edited by Duncan

I often wander around bookshops and don't buy anything. If I have a bit of free time, I will wander around bookshops and charity shops. So if I bought a book everytime I went in I would be broke (then again, I do buy far too many books anyway).

Nope. I always grab something(my friends call me "a book collector"). If I don't have money, I just don't go into bookstores, it's too painful and I'd hate to become a thief at the age of 18 :D

• 1 month later...

I thought of this thread today as I was in Waterstones & saw quite a few books I'd like to read, the new Joanne Harris & Kate Atkinson being two of them but I couldn't justify buying them as I have so many unread books at home so I just gazed longingly at them (sigh!)