Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles

Stiggy

I thought the book was quite disapointing. I love the movie so much and saw it several times before I read the book last month. That's why I prefer to read the books first and watch the movie second, it's so much better to be disapointed in the movie than in the book :)

Funny you should say that - I read the book first and then saw the movie and much preferred the book! :) I've read the sequels too and really liked them as well. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the movie when it first came to the cinemas. I think I was a year too young to be allowed to go watch it but nobody asked me my age and I didn't tell :lol: It was a fab movie! And boy did we love Brad Pitt, my friend and I!

I noticed the book a few years after that (still in my teens) and tried reading it but found it boring. I just couldn't get into it and decided to forget about it. But I've decided to give it another go now that I've read other vampire tales (well, Twilight and New Moon). I've also noticed that Anne Rice's books seem to be really popular here amongst some of you, so all the more reason to try it. I presume that Interview with the Vampire is the first in the series? Are there just the one series or has she written other series as well?

I'm next in line for IwtV in my local library :D

• 1 month later...

I saw the movie in theater while I was in the middle of reading the book. I was amazed at how well Tom Cuise interpreted Lestat. It was exactly as I was imagining him.

Still, Interview isn't my favorite. I prefer Lestat and Queen of the Damned. I mean, she made me be in favor of canibalism while reading the book (!!), and that isn't small. And I'm not in favor of canibalism...usually! LOL

Anyway, I also recommend the Mayfair Witches. I think it would make a good serie.

I love all the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, she is so talented and I wish I was half as good as her when it comes to detail and the amazing characters she brings to life so well!

Interview is the first one in the series, the second is The Vampire Lestat which really gives a great insight into Lestat's character and shows the other side - because in Interview Louis tends to make him out as a monster but there's so much more to him than that :roll:

Although I love the movies, I don't like the fact that Queen of the Damned is so much more different than the book. I still love the movie, and it works well that way, but it deviates from the original story so much :)

I always think of Brad Pitt as Louis, but Stuart Townsend as Lestat because he played it so brilliantly! He's gone more into writing now.

I have been meaning to read these books for too long. I keep buying them when I see them in charity shops or on market stalls.

I have two stand alone novels of which I've read only one which was violin, other one I have is Servant of the bones. I have odd ones from the vampire chronicles and have only read half of the interview with the vampire but have the queen of the damned, blood and gold and blackwood farm.

I can't really read them until I get the vampire lestat, the tale of the body thief, menoch the devil, the vampire armand and merrick at least then finally blood canticle. So ten in total, and I only have four so far.

Lists of her books can be found here:Annies bookshelf:http://www.annerice.com/

She seems to have other books out which are part of the new tales of the vampires and another series, the mayfair witches which contains three books, plus at least 6 stand alone novels.

Interview With The Vampire is on my TBR list and quite near the top of the pile!! My Aunt loaned me this book,I'm not particulary into Vampire books but she highly recommended it,so..Some mixed reviews here but I guess I won't know what I think of it until I read it!!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the first 3 books, particularly Lestat although there were inconsistencies with Interview ( who was the old man Lestat claimed was his father?) I also read the Mayfair witch books but then went off Rice when she just seemed to be a little too in love with her own writing.... Still have unread copies of Armand and The Mummy! Maybe a return is due?

Who was the old man Lestat claimed was his father?

If I remember correctly his father wasn't very impressed with Lestat in 'Lestat', but didn't his father become very old and poorly and he looked after him at some point?

It's been a while since I read those books, I quite fancy reading them again :D

It's been a while since I read those books, I quite fancy reading them again :D

Same here. This thread keeps popping up and I keep saying to myself I should get them for a re-read :D (along with loads of others though ;))

• 6 months later...

I apologise if there is already a thread about this (I looked and couldn't find one!)

My dilemma - I have read and loved some of Anne Rices books, and I have struggled my way through others. I've now reached a point where I'm wondering if it's time to call it a day?

The books I have read so far are:

Interview With The Vampire - Loved it!

The Vampire Lestat - Loved it even more!

The Queen of The Damned - Really liked it

The Tale of The Bodythief - I didn't really enjoy this at all

Memnoch the Devil - Slightly better, but still a struggle

The Vampire Armand - After finally managing to get into this after about 3 attempts I did enjoy it

Vittorio the Vampire - I think this was quite good but I can't really remember it!

The books I have sitting on my shelf waiting to be read are:

Merrick

Blood and Gold

The Mummy

Pandora

Servant of the Bones

I also have her other series about the Mayfair Witches:

The Witching Hour

Lasher

Taltos

My question - has anybody read any of the her books and is it worth perservering (I really want to read Blood and Gold because I really like Marius!)

Also, I'm slightly confused about which order to read them in, or even which books make up part of The Vampire Chronicles. (As I understand it 'Pandora' isn't part of The Vampire Chronicles but Pandora is in the other books so does it matter when I read this??!! :D)

I just read the vampire books in the order they were published.

1. Interview with the Vampire (1976)

2. The Vampire Lestat (1985)

3. The Queen of the Damned (1988)

4. The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)

5. Memnoch the Devil (1995)

6. The Vampire Armand (1998)

7. Merrick (2000)

8. Blood and Gold (2001)

9. Blackwood Farm (2002)

10. Blood Canticle (2003)

Servant Of The Bones & The Mummy are indiviual novels and nothing to do with the vampire books. Personally I loved the Mayfair books and I've reread them more - hope that helps!

Edited by Fi

My question - has anybody read any of the her books and is it worth perservering (I really want to read Blood and Gold because I really like Marius!)

Also, I'm slightly confused about which order to read them in, or even which books make up part of The Vampire Chronicles. (As I understand it 'Pandora' isn't part of The Vampire Chronicles but Pandora is in the other books so does it matter when I read this??!! :D)

I personally never could get into the Mayfair Witches, or Servant of the Bones, or The Mummy. But I have been an avid reader of the vampire chronicles, having read each of them several times. So, to answer your questions:

1. The books are well worth the perseverance.

2. My advice would be to read them in the publication order as Fi has presented, but insert Pandora immediately following Blood and Gold. The two novels have some tie-ins and if I say more than that I will spoil them both for you (and also for others).

I thoroughly enjoyed the first few very much. And then I read Blood and Gold and Pandora, and the world was changed forever for me. These two together can be described as nothing short of phenomenal in my view, and are well worth the wait.

And now I have no idea how I'm going to get any sleep. Unfortunately for me, when we moved my Rice collection was one such collection which had to be stored in the attic, to which I have no access (due to one bad arm and a terrible fear of spiders). And I wants them!

1. The books are well worth the perseverance.

2. My advice would be to read them in the publication order as Fi has presented, but insert Pandora immediately following Blood and Gold. The two novels have some tie-ins and if I say more than that I will spoil them both for you (and also for others).

I thoroughly enjoyed the first few very much. And then I read Blood and Gold and Pandora, and the world was changed forever for me. These two together can be described as nothing short of phenomenal in my view, and are well worth the wait.

Thanks so much for this! I really wasn't looking forward to Merrick (I'm still not, there's just something about her books that are set in the present that I don't like as much) but I will definately carry on so that I can get to Blood and Gold and Pandora! I'm really looking forward to these now! :D

Thanks so much for this! I really wasn't looking forward to Merrick (I'm still not, there's just something about her books that are set in the present that I don't like as much) :D

You're welcome :lol:

And actually IMHO Merrick is one of the better "cross-over" books by Rice when it comes to moving between vampires and witches, and also one of the more sensible present-day ones. I can't promise you'll be sitting on the edge of your seat, but you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently making my way through The Vampire Chronicles (I'm halfway through The Vampire Armand and loving it).

I'm not sure which has been my favourite so far as they keep getting better. As far as the story goes, I think Interview With The Vampire and Tale of the Body Thief have been my favourites as they were pretty easy going and I couldn't put them down. Memnoch the Devil has made me question things that I've always just accepted and got me thinking as to what my beliefs are. So now I'm in the midst of The Vampire Armand and although he's not a character I've enjoyed reading about in the past, I'm enjoying the book and getting to see things from his point of view. I love it how Anne Rice has the capacity to completely change your mind about a character. During Interview With the Vampire I despised Lestat for how he treated Louis but now he's without a doubt my favourite vampire 'to beat all vampires' :kissing:

She has a great way of describing long forgotten places, bringing them to life. The way she describes 18th century Paris in The Vampire Lestat makes me want to be there.

Can't wait to get to the end :)