Anne Rice - Vampire Chronicles

Stiggy

Some may have seen the movie others may have read the novel, but I couldn't sit through the movie,

I read the book then saw the movie and it disappointed me.

Have you read the book "Interview With The Vampire?"

Do you like vampires?

Do you like Halloween?

are you gonna be a vampire on halloween?

Final Thought

I saw death when my mom said "big people don't trick-or-treat anymore."

my heart skipped a beat for I knew one day I'd have to give it up. If I was a real vampire I would still trick-or-treat.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Thought

I saw death when my mom said "big people don't trick-or-treat anymore."

my heart skipped a beat for I knew one day I'd have to give it up. If I was a real vampire I would still trick-or-treat.

Your Mom was probably just thinking of the neighbours - protecting them like :dunno:

Hi mr Stiggy :motz:

Hi Stiggy. I actually saw the film first & rather liked it, so went to read the book & thought it was OK, but not brilliant. I think Rice has some great story ideas, but I don't particularly rate her style of writing. I read a few more of the Vampire Chronicles to see where she'd go with it, but got pretty sick of them by about the fourth or fifth book & gave them all up.

I'm a HUGE vampire fan - I used to freak out my friends by walking into graveyards at night calling "Yoohoo! Any vampires out there? Fresh blood for the taking - make me one of you!" I always thought it'd be pretty cool to be a vamp, but I'd want to know all the "rules" beforehand so I could make a fully informed decision.

And I'm always either a vampire or a witch at Halloween - I do still occasionally get dressed up for this holiday, but mostly if I'm going to a party. Halloween is one of my favourite times of the year!

And you're never too old to get dressed up & go trick or treating - just make sure you have some friends who have small kids & offer to take them out - it's the perfect cover!

Well, if you're determined to read them - if you've got the Vampire Chronicles, start with the 1st one - Interview with the Vampire. There are other series & one-offs, but I've never read any of them.

Read the book first and cound't put it down. LITERALLY. Slept with the danged thing. JK.

I loved it.

Movie? I only watched because I adore New Orleans. It was too slick. The beauty and nuances got lost in the translation.

KW

I too loved Interview with a vampire, read the book first, adored it and also adored the movie! I got so swept up in the romance of it all, the beautiful clothes, the beautiful people, the romantic language and the city. For subject that has the potential to bring real horror, Interview, for me, managed to make even the horrible scenes somehow seem romantic and enticing!

I also read the next four or five in the Chronicles, but like you Kell, I just got bored in the end and couldn't finish the last one. I realy enjoyed Interview, Lestat I struggled through (it just felt far fetched), Queen of the Damned I enjoyed but I felt it was too gory and too much of a blood bath for me. Tale of the Body Theif I really enjoyed I again was swept up in the characters in this one, and I just gave up in Armand (I'm sure I've missed some!). These books have a real potential to be so much more. Even now I still love the characters and the whole feeling of the world that Rice has created, I just wish that I could have enjoyed all of the Chronicles as much as the first one *sigh*

Ann Rice books is something I want to get into. I seen the movies and I enjoyed them but we all know books are tens times better so I defiantely want to read them. Everytime I walk in the bookstore I see Ann Rice books and want to pick them up but end up getting something else. Is Interview With The Vampire the first?

Yes, Interview is first, followed by The Vampire Lestat, then Queen of the Damned. I can't remember where it goes after that, but I think it's Tale of the Body Thief then Memnoch the Devil...

• 7 months later...

I'm a HUGE vampire fan - I used to freak out my friends by walking into graveyards at night calling "Yoohoo! Any vampires out there? Fresh blood for the taking - make me one of you!" I always thought it'd be pretty cool to be a vamp, but I'd want to know all the "rules" beforehand so I could make a fully informed decision.

That's pretty damn funny, "fresh blood for the taking!"

Ah-hahaha!

Of course, we all know one doesn't learn the rules until after the deed is done. It's like The Rule.

I loved reading Interview with a Vampire.

The book was given to me by a friend who said that I must read this book. Several times throughout the week, he'd call me ask where I was in the book and we'd talk about what was going on. That made it extra fun.

I think it was my first vampire book where vamps are real characters and not just a scary band of monsters chasing my hero. Since then, of course, I've read many and now look forward to dabbling in our Comparative Reading Circle with two vintage books - Carmilla and Dracula.

One of the things that really stood out to me in Interview was Anne Rice's writing style using description. I was enchanted by our new vamp's enhanced vision and how he'd get lost in the detail of a leaf or the fold of some fabric or some light-play on skin - reminded me very much of my (cough) experimental early years, if you get my drift.

The series was ... fun.

I think Anne may have gotten caught up in the popularity of the series (and now a franchise) and perhaps spread it out a bit much; my favorite sections were when Lestat was calling out the ancient vamps who'd been hiding for decades or centuries and bringing them recklessly into the modern world. The jumps back to hear their stories of living and surviving in different eras was pleasant and fun. The theme of Artist and Theater with the vamps that runs through many of the stories appealed to me on many levels.

And, yeah - while I was reading them, I thought to myself, "I'd love to be a vampire!"

Okay, you're all going to hate me now, but Interview With the Vampire is not my favorite of The Vampire Chronicles. When I was done reading it, I just felt depressed for some reason. Then, after reading The Vampire Lestate and The Queen of the Damned, I realized that it was actually the character of Louis that I didn't much like...he was always complaining and whining. I much preferred Lestat and Marius. My ultimate favorite is definitely The Vampire Armand...I actually have a signed copy!

I think I read quite a few from that series - starting with that one. I think it was before I even saw the movie. The books were quite good and I can't remember which one bored me, causing me to stop.

I'm not usually drawn to vampires and the like but it was a good book. I'd like to read it again, actually. Hmmm.

It might have been Queen of the Damned or Vampire Armand I stopped at actually, I can't remember!

• 3 months later...

im at the begining of interview with the vampire right now and ive fallen deeply in love with it. i saw the movie first, as a child and i had just watched it last weekend when i decided it was finally time to read the book (id owned it for about a year) oddly, ive become obsessed with the book itself, and the story. this happens to me from time totime, all i cant think about is the book and all i ever want to do is read it, nothing else is on my mind. i loved the descriptions of louis change, how he could see and hear differently, ive become obsessed with listening to every sound around me and appreciating the sights i see.

i feel a strange draw to lestat, like he's real (i fully know he is not, lol) but hes the type of character you love and hate and try to understand. the book itself has yetto leave my sight since i started reading only a few days ago. though im only on page 67, the book has become so amazing! my whole expierence is hard to explain, but i getan odd sensation from this book and i cant wait to start it again.

Interview is good, the vampire lestat is poor. Queen of the damned is rather 'meh' but after that it picks up.

Over all, I like her style as it reminds me of poe et al. Memnoch the devil is good and the vampire Arhmand is also good. Probably the best written vampire books avaliable to buy, far better than the trash that is usually passed of as vapire fiction.

I liked 'Interview' but much prefer the second and third books in the series. I think if I came to them now, I might have trouble reading them. I used to be quite into anything with sexy vampires, but I would probably be a wee bit book-snobbish now and think they were a bit silly and far fetched.

• 1 year later...

I thought the book was quite disapointing. I love the movie so much and saw it several times before I read the book last month. That's why I prefer to read the books first and watch the movie second, it's so much better to be disapointed in the movie than in the book :D