Victorian literature

Hi everyone ! Next year I'll have to read Victorian literature for school.

I wondered if you could advise me a book you enjoyed ? I thought about "Vanity Fair" but there are many pages and there's the possibility that I won't enjoy it :D

Thank you guys :)

Have you read Dracula by Bram Stoker yet? Its probably one of my favorite books written during the Victorian age. :D

If you're interested in poetry I would reccommend Elizabeth Barrett Browning's collected works. Her writing is so heartfelt and beautiful, you can tell that she just opened her soul to bear it all with every word she wrote.

Edited by CaliLily

Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Sherlock Holmes'.

Wilkie Collins 'The Moonstone', and his 'The Woman In White'.

Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'

Any Charles Dickens, but I'd say especially 'Great Expectations' and 'Oliver Twist'.

Lewis Caroll's 'Alice In Wonderland' (which is also an upcoming Reading Circle read).

I am never quite sure what is considered Victorian literature.

But how about Great Expectations by Charles Dickens or Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte? They are both excellent, short reads and I think they fall under the category.

Victorian literature is one of my favorite eras in literature. Here are my favorites:

Vanity Fair by W.M. Thackeray

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Agnes Gray by Anne Bronte

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I second Bram Stoker's Dracula - gorgeous book, though if English is not your first language you might find it a bit difficult - as well as anything by Oscar Wilde. His short stories are beautiful (quite a few made me cry) and should be a pretty safe bet if you don't want to commit to anything too long or hard to understand.

Thanks for all your suggestions :D I've already read Dracula as well as Jane Eyre, Alice in Wonderland and a few by Charles Dickens :)

English is not my first language indeed ^^ But I'm not afraid of challenges ^^

I hesitate now :) I took note of

"Shirley" by C.Bront

I'd agree with the books mentioned above, esp Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, these books are of varying length so should at least be a good introduction to Victorian books without getting too bogged down.

I'd also add to the list a book called Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon which is a fictional account of the Suspicions of Mr Whicher, a quite sensational murder case that took place in the early days of the English Police force when the detective was still a relatively new breed.

George Eliot is quite good, she wrote Middlemarch and The Mill on the Floss. Middlemarch has been on my to-read list for a long time. :D

EDIT: I almost forgot Elizabeth Gaskell! I've been wanting to read Cranford for a long time, plus North and South and Wives and Daughters.

Edited by Echo
had a thought!

Vanity fair is a great read so i would definitely recommend that, also

Lorna Doone R.D. Blackmore

Cranford & Sylvia's Lovers Elizabeth Gaskell

The Water Babies Charles Kingsley

The Barchester Chronicles Anthony Trollope

Finally I decided to read Vanity Fair :D

But many of your propositions are very interesting so I'll read them too for my own pleasure :D

^^ New books on my list !!

Thank you very much for all your propositions :)

I guess maybe we could go on with the lists of your favourite Victorian literature :)

I discover many new authors thanks to you ^^

Let us know what you think of VF, nin0uch! I have it on my bookshelf but haven't got around to it yet. Would be interesting to know what you think.

I know you've already decided, but if you wanted a really engaging Victorian novel I would suggest Wuthering Heights. It's exciting and passionate so it will keep you reading, but the social themes are relevant, too. :D

I'll let you know as soon as I read it :D

Actually Nienna I watched Wuthering Heights and it was sooooo boring. Maybe the book is better I don't know but it wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Which one did you see ? I've got the black & white film with Lawrence Olivier & Merle Oberon which my OH got for me as it's one of my all time favourite movies & books ;)

Which one did you see ? I've got the black & white film with Lawrence Olivier & Merle Oberon which my OH got for me as it's one of my all time favourite movies & books :D

It was the one with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche !

In fact I wanted to read it but as my friend lent me her DVD, I couldn't resist ^^

And I started to fall asleep because the story wasn't lively, I was really disappointed because I had heard many good things about it.

Maybe I should have read the book before watching the film ^^

It was the one with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche !

In fact I wanted to read it but as my friend lent me her DVD, I couldn't resist ^^

And I started to fall asleep because the story wasn't lively, I was really disappointed because I had heard many good things about it.

Maybe I should have read the book before watching the film ^^

That is a shame, cos I liked that version!

I did read the book first though, so not sure if this made a difference.

I preferred the Laurence Olivier version too. It was made in the days before interpretation was put into films and they tended to stick to the original story more. (Loved him too in Rebecca but I digress.....)

I have the Ralph Fiennes version and my disappointment was with Juliette Binoche who, to me, just wasn't Cathy (perhaps being French may have had something to do with it:blush:). Nothing against her personally, I thought she was great in English Patient and Chocolat but just not my idea of Cathy.

loooll ! I'm sorry ^^ I know many people loved it but honestly I found it really boring !

No, that is your opinion and I respect it!

I have tried to read Pride and Prejudice countless times but just don't get it! Whereas it seems to get great reviews on the forum.

I guess that is what makes us all interesting, the fact that we like different things!:D

I have tried to read Pride and Prejudice countless times but just don't get it! Whereas it seems to get great reviews on the forum.

I am with you on this one. I was told that if I loved Jane Eyre, which I did, I would love Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't get through two chapters of it, I was that bored.

How has nobody mentioned The Picture Of Dorian Gray?!?! Shame on you all!

I also love Wuthering Heights & Pride & Prejudice, two of my favourite books. The former because of the beautiful writing, and Heathcliff, and the latter because it's so funny. And Mr. Darcy. :D

I am with you on this one. I was told that if I loved Jane Eyre, which I did, I would love Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't get through two chapters of it, I was that bored.

Is it that boring? looollll :D What did you find boring in the book?