31 replies to this topic

#21 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Proud to add a book for Zimbabwe, "An Elegy for Easterly", a collection of short stories by Petina Gappah. The collected short stories gave the impression of a choir, where each voice descibed their part of something whole, perhaps of Zimbabwe.

#22 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I haven't given up on my challenge! For Canada: "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood. The impression it left was a somwhat lightweight book, not what I would have expected.

#23 Hyzenthlay

Hyzenthlay

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

This is a great idea. I might join you!

#24 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Joy- another book read that I can count in my challenge!

Hungary: Liquidation by Imre Kertész. This isn't a fun book, but it's a well written book and I enjoyed it. I have read some of his books before, and don't know how I didn't think of him until now for my challenge.

#25 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

So, I edited my first post. I'm still doing this challenge. It's going to take me a lifetime to complete this. But then, I'm in no hurry!

#26 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,525 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

I noticed you've read L'Echappée belle by Anna Gavalda, how did you like it? :)

#27 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

It was a nice little book, don't remember too much about it now, but I remember that I've felt like running away from various events (like weddings) and that it was nice reading about someone who actually did run away.

#28 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,525 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Yes it was quite short, I would've liked there to be more to read. The book's actually small enough to fit one's purse, one could at least carry it with oneself to another wedding one isn't too keen on attending, and read about people escaping weddings... :giggle2:

#29 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yes it was quite short, I would've liked there to be more to read. The book's actually small enough to fit one's purse, one could at least carry it with oneself to another wedding one isn't too keen on attending, and read about people escaping weddings... :giggle2:

Very good point!

#30 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Added some more books I've read for this challenge. By now, I think one lifetime isn't enough to complete this. Still, every now and then I read a book for this.

#31 JudyM

JudyM

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

For Ukraine, would A short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka count?  it is really funny and like all the best comedic books, very true to life too.

#32 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Sorry JudyM for not answering you sooner- I have set the criteria for my challenge that an author is to be born in the country I wish to cross off my list, and I like it best if that author also has lived in said country as an adult, at least for a short period of time. But I have looked at Marina Lewyckas book now and then and it seems interesting, I haven't read it yet though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users