A Romantic's Heart

AbielleRose

What is the best date you've been on or most memorable romantic gesture someone has ever done for you?

My most memorable romantic moment was in college with my boyfriend at the time. One night during the middle of winter we were sitting in the student center on the floor in front of the big fireplace. It was well after midnight and we were the only ones left there so we were just talking and reading from a book of poetry by the fire's light. It was snowing those big thick sticky snowflakes outside and after a while we decided to take a walk around campus in the snow. While out on the walk we ended up getting into a snowball fight and making snow angles in front of the dorms until both of us were soaked to the bone! It was such a simple night, but one I'll always remember. :D

What are your stories?

Well, to be honest, some of my more romantic memories I can't discuss here. :D

One memory, though, is not inappropriate. I was working late one night at the J.Crew store in downtown Seattle. I lived in a little studio apartment a few blocks away, and my boyfriend was staying over with me. He waited until I was getting off work, then walked down to the store to surprise me. I thought he was just planning to walk me home, but after about a block, he stopped and pulled a bouquet of red roses out of his jacket. He had stopped at the late-night flower stall on the way down. I was so surprised, I almost started crying. Instead, I just gave him a big hug and a kiss. ;)

My ex made a collage out of photos that he had of us (not many at the time as it was early days in the relationship) and he had it made professionally into a jigsaw puzzle. Then every day for the next month or so he left a piece of the puzzle under the windscreen wiper of my car (I park it at a train station during the day and he works near there).

A couple of times he surprised me at the station after I had come home from work; the first time with a rose. It was such a lovely surprise.

Ooh, and one day I had to go into work really early. He insisted on riding in on the train with me just to keep me company (it's about an hour long commute each way). He caught the train with me at about 5.30 that morning and sat quietly next to me and I lay my head on his shoulder and tried to sleep. Then when we got to Sydney he jumped on the next train to go straight back home. He starts work so much later than me so he wasn't late at all. It was the sweetest thing ever! I can't believe anyone else would get up so ridiculously early just to spend 2 hours (in winter!) riding back and forth on the train to keep their partner company. <sigh>

A week after me and my boyfriend started going out he asked me to come over as he had a surprise for me. ;) He had a big bag and he took me for a walk over some fields, walked to the highest one which overlooked the whole of our town which was lovely as it was evening and we stayed for a few hours until it got really dark and we just had little lights from the town and the stars. :D In his bag he had a blanket for us to sit on, he dug a small hole and put a candle in the ground which luckily actually stayed lit the entire time, a picnic and a bottle of wine! :lol: It was so sweet and no guy had ever made the effort before.

I'm really looking foward to my birthday now as hes booked us tickets to see Eclipse (it comes out on my birthday :D) and hes said hes already got a few surprises for me!

In truth I'm not a very romantic person at all. I find the whole thing kind of embarassing.

One of my ex's used to buy me a picnic bar before going on dates with me (he'd seen my buy one once and I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't really like them!)

Isn't it funny how the simplest things are the most memorable. All those are lovely memories. Oh Kylie :D

One boyfriend and I could only see each other in the weekend as we lived in different towns. Sometimes we'd each catch a bus at night that took about three quarters of an hour to get there, meet in the middle, spend half an hour together till the last bus came, then each go home again.

Isn't it funny how the simplest things are the most memorable. All those are lovely memories. Oh Kylie :D

Thanks Poppy ;) You're absolutely right. My favourite memories involve simple things like watching a sunset together or having a nice meal.

The most romantic thing my fella does is not sticking my head under the duvet when he farts!

After 16years my views of romance have changed considerably. My OH is a stoical northerner and not and never has been prone to acts of random thoughtfulness. He wishes he was but his brain just doesn't work like that.

However, he made me a big cushion to rest my swollen ankles on, drags huge bags of compost about on my behalf, doesn't make a fuss when I put my cold feet on him and makes a really good cuppa.

And he tells me I'm lovely even when I know I look like the contents of a binbag.

What more could a girl want??:D:mrgreen:

It's strange because the standard "romantic" acts like buying flowers, dinner and candlelight, don't really sit with me. Like Cookie said, I find them kind of embarrassing, and sometimes even pointless.

When I was about 18 I started seeing a boy. He told me he wanted to ask me to be his girlfriend, but that he was going to wait because us and some friends of ours were going on this university organised black tie boat trip down the Thames (he wanted to ask me then to make it "romantic"). He waited until we were right beneath London Bridge and took me out on deck to make it official. It was so formal and silly that I basically spent the whole time cringing and trying to put on a smile without laughing. I tried very hard not to be cruel! :D Perhaps I'm strange, but it didn't feel romantic to me at all, just far too contrived.

It's the little things that matter to me. The things that show genuine caring. But one nice gesture did stick with me: when we started going out I mentioned to my current other half that I was interested in reading Wolf Hall. I'd only known him about a week but a few days later it turned up at my door in the post from an "anonymous stranger", with a little joke on the message slip. It wasn't even because of the book that it was so nice, but because we'd only known each other a week or so and he shouldn't have been buying stuff for me! I guess it was nice to know he liked me, maybe.

My OH isn't one for romantic gestures he's not the hearts & flowers type but i remember when i was in high school i went out with a boy who was a few years older than me, who'd already left school, he used to meet me off the school bus & carry my school bag for me. I can recall how special it made me feel especially in front of my friends.

I could tell you about the most romantic date I ever had, which involved getting flowers, which is cliche on the surface, but much more intriguing when you know my back-story. I won't, though. The reality of that beautiful moment would take too much space to clutter this thread with.