G'day!

tragic-austin

Hi my name is Siobhan and I live on the Yourke Pen in South Australia. I am a mother of 2 (my youngest only born 10 weeks ago) and I also have a step-daughter.

Altho I dont have as much time as I have in the past I am an avid reader.

My first love belongs to Jane Austin (I have told my husband that I would have a love affair with her if she was still alive! The only woman I have considered this for) and hae read/watched all her novels to many to count.

I love historical novel set in the Victorian or earlier times. I also have been enjoying more modern novels recently set in the 1940s/1960's.

I am a very fussy reader and if a book does not capture my mind within the first chapter then I will disregared it. The only book wich I forced myself to read outside scholl was the first Harry Potter book and I was so glad i pushed myself throught that book so Icould read ther rest because now I am a huge fan of the series.

But on the other hand if I have read past chapeter 3 then I HAVE to finish the book no matter how bad it is.

I am one of the few people alive who havent read the Twilight series and have no desire to read or watch them. I think it is my allegence to J.K Rowling that has stoped me.

I have just finished this morning a book called 'American Wife' by Curtis Sittenfeld, which I stumbled apon at a lawn sale. It is and intresting look into American modern history through the eyes of politics.

I am starting to dwell into American history and had read a month ago 'North and South' after seeing the mini-series. i am giving myself a breakbefore I get into the second book.

I cant wait to talk books with you all, but i do appologise in advance about my spelling, it is shocking on forums because I get so involved and passionate the I forget about correcting myself and also I think I type too fast for my keyboard and it makes it up half the time, LOL.

Cheers, thanks for having me!

Hello Siobhan! :D

I loved American Wife when I read it last year, and I'm a big fan of Curtis Sittenfield.

Have you read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke? If you like Jane Austen and J. K. Rowling, this could be right up your street ;)

Thanks!!

I was really suprised with American Wife as I had never heard of the Author, but i really enjoyed it. But I must admit that I know very little about American History as I was more intrested in Russian/English/French/Austrlian history growing up, so I was trying to guess who the book was loosley based on the entire book. I knew itwas either Bush or Clinton but just couldn't guess till the last bit!

Thanks for those suggestions, I need to start expanding my author knowledge and I will try those books next

I am one of the few people alive who havent read the Twilight series and have no desire to read or watch them.

I haven't read it, and don't want to read it, either.

Welcome! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...