James Lee Burke

Does anyone have any views on James Lee Burke's books, particularly his Robicheaux series? I have read many of them and really enjoy them. They are however a bit samey and I can't read them together. However they are very atmospheric about Louisianna and New Orleans which I have visited. Would be interested in other people's opinions.

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I was really enthusiastic about the first couple I read, but then started to think "Hold on, there's nothing new here". I came back to him with The Tin Roof Blowdown, on the basis of its excellent reviews, but found myself disappointed.

I think we had a discussion on here a while back about "series" fiction and the problems of keeping it fresh.

I have all of the Robicheaux series, but have only read up to The Confederate Dead in the Electric Mist. It is difficult to read more than 2 or so at the time. I'd put that down to the rather depressive violence that is throughout the books. I have loved reading them, and am from the New Orleans area, so much is familiar to me.

There is something to what you both have posted, there is a sameness to them, and even Burke's beautiful prose cannot mask that.

From what I've read recently regarding his newest Robicheaux entry, it looks like he may be coming to the end of that series. It might be time.

• 1 year later...

One of the best writers in the U.S. and one of my favorites is James Lee Burke. I received the following from one of his administrators today saying that a new book of his will be released today. Burke is a hard hitting, pull no punches type of author. Esquire gave it a very good review.

"Feast Day of Fools" is available today. I really hope you all enjoy it!

Incredible review from October's Esquire

“Holy s--- does this novel crush into its pages a whole war chest of bloody

drama and brutal questions about what it means to be an American and a

Christian and a Christian American in the new century. . . . James Lee

Burke—muscular and elegiac, brutal and compassionate—is a Stetson-wearing,

spur-jangling giant among novelists.”—Benjamin Percy for Esquire

For the record, I believe I have read all of his many books.

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I'm currently reading Heaven's Prisoners and think its an okay read. Dave seems to be the kinda of cop that takes the law in his own hands. I don't know if I consider it a mystery but more of a thriller but they are interesting to read because of Dave's ability to take punishment.

• 6 years later...

James Lee Burke has a new book that has just been released titled "Robicheaux". I have it on hold at the library and am anxiously awaiting it.. Burke has become one of the current best writers in the U.S.  John Grisham has stated that Burke is one of his favorites.