Sci-Fi or Fantasy???

Guest mcflash271

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sci-Fi, because it's very close to reality.

Say what? Think that entirely depends on the sort of sci-fi you read, I think there's enough fantasy that resembles reality, maybe just as much as sci-fi.. just with a lot of fantasy it seems to play in the past, while sci-fi's usually set in the future. But I have read plently sci-fi that is nothing close to reality. So it's all about what exactly you read. :D

Anybody else here read Jack Vance? I know I am biased :D but both his sci-fi and fantasy stuff are incredible, and his use of language is beautiful.

I bought Tales of the Dying Earth today. Looking forward to reading it ;)

• 1 year later...

I prefer Sci-Fi, especially hard core space opera from the likes of authors like Alastair Reynolds who is a very big favorite of mine. If you want some fun sci-fi pick up Revelation Space.

I just have to add something to the discuss about WoT series. I have read about ten of the books if I am not mistaken. I must say that I only ever finished the first two or three all at once. For the rest of them I have had to take breaks, read something else in the meantime, and then go back and finish the book, sometimes doing this several times per book. I give one very big warning though, as the series goes on it gets quite complex with plots, as well as characters growing nearly out of control. If you can't read them all one right after the other you will find it hard to keep it all straight, which is why I finally gave up and haven't finished reading anything else in the series. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful books, but it gets way too complicated to keep up with if you don't stick to the reading and try to get through it.

I prefer Sci-Fi, especially hard core space opera from the likes of authors like Alastair Reynolds who is a very big favorite of mine. If you want some fun sci-fi pick up Revelation Space.

I read Revelation Space years ago. Now that's hard sf, quite heavy going, I seem to remember, but I did enjoy it. I've got Chasm City on the shelf, must get around to it soon.

I'm quite disappointed at the moment, as I was a BIG fan of Peter F Hamilton's early Greg Mandel books, and his Night's Dawn trilogy, but his Commonwealth Saga had me losing the will to live, and I've got the Void trilogy sitting on the shelf, unread :rolleyes:

I read Revelation Space years ago. Now that's hard sf, quite heavy going, I seem to remember, but I did enjoy it. I've got Chasm City on the shelf, must get around to it soon.

I'm quite disappointed at the moment, as I was a BIG fan of Peter F Hamilton's early Greg Mandel books, and his Night's Dawn trilogy, but his Commonwealth Saga had me losing the will to live, and I've got the Void trilogy sitting on the shelf, unread :rolleyes:

It is hard SF, but he seems to have a knack for making it enjoyable and the characters, at least in my opinion, were very easy to get to know and like/dislike as the situation demanded. I think you will like Chasm City, it was almost as good as RS but then again the sequels rarely live up to the original.

I have never heard of Peter F. Hamilton, might have to look into the books you mentioned, skipping Commonwealth obviously, I work in a jail I need all the will to live I can get.

It is hard SF, but he seems to have a knack for making it enjoyable and the characters, at least in my opinion, were very easy to get to know and like/dislike as the situation demanded. I think you will like Chasm City, it was almost as good as RS but then again the sequels rarely live up to the original.

I have never heard of Peter F. Hamilton, might have to look into the books you mentioned, skipping Commonwealth obviously, I work in a jail I need all the will to live I can get.

Ah, well I highly recommend the Night's Dawn books then, starting with The Reality Dysfunction:

"In AD 2600 the human race is finally beginning to realize its full potential. Hundreds of colonized planets scattered across the galaxy host a multitude of prosperous and wildly diverse cultures. Genetic engineering has pushed evolution far beyond nature’s boundaries, defeating disease and producing extraordinary spaceborn creatures. Huge fleets of sentient trader starships thrive on the wealth created by the industrialization of entire star systems. And throughout inhabited space the Confederation Navy keeps the peace. A true golden age is within our grasp.

But now something has gone catastrophically wrong. On a primitive colony planet a renegade criminal’s chance encounter with an utterly alien entity unleashes the most primal of all our fears. An extinct race which inhabited the galaxy aeons ago called it “The Reality Dysfunction”. It is the nightmare which has prowled beside us since the beginning of history."

I suspect I'd enjoy Revelation Space more if I read it again now. I'll definitely be giving Chasm City a go soon, as it's nearing the top of by TBR pile :)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Ah, well I highly recommend the Night's Dawn books then, starting with The Reality Dysfunction:

"In AD 2600 the human race is finally beginning to realize its full potential. Hundreds of colonized planets scattered across the galaxy host a multitude of prosperous and wildly diverse cultures. Genetic engineering has pushed evolution far beyond nature’s boundaries, defeating disease and producing extraordinary spaceborn creatures. Huge fleets of sentient trader starships thrive on the wealth created by the industrialization of entire star systems. And throughout inhabited space the Confederation Navy keeps the peace. A true golden age is within our grasp.

But now something has gone catastrophically wrong. On a primitive colony planet a renegade criminal’s chance encounter with an utterly alien entity unleashes the most primal of all our fears. An extinct race which inhabited the galaxy aeons ago called it “The Reality Dysfunction”. It is the nightmare which has prowled beside us since the beginning of history."

I suspect I'd enjoy Revelation Space more if I read it again now. I'll definitely be giving Chasm City a go soon, as it's nearing the top of by TBR pile :)

That sounds like an amazing book, I am going to have to read it. It's called The Reality Dysfunction?

That sounds like an amazing book, I am going to have to read it. It's called The Reality Dysfunction?

Yeah, that's it.

You can read the start here, try before you buy etc.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reality-Dysfunction-Nights-Dawn-Trilogy/dp/0330340328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314298788&sr=8-1#reader_0330340328

I decided to move Chasm City right to the top of my TBR pile. Started it earlier on, only 80 pages in so far but really enjoying it already :)

Yay! I am so glad to find another Reynolds fan, he is probably my favorite author if I had to sit down and think about it. His stories just got me so engaged.

Yay! I am so glad to find another Reynolds fan, he is probably my favorite author if I had to sit down and think about it. His stories just got me so engaged.

Maybe we should give him his own thread :lol:

I got about 125 pages into it in the end last night, and if my eyes hadn't started getting tired at about 1am I would've kept going. Brilliant so far, which pretty much confirms what I thought - that I need to re-read Revelation Space :)

I'd probably say fantasy but only because I've read much more of it than sci-fi

Also I get slightly confused as to what makes something sci-fi after my tutor at uni told us star wars couldn't technically be classed as sci-fi, since sci-fi is characterised by being set in the future, and star wars is a 'long time ago in a galaxy far far away'. :huh:

• 5 months later...